The Mental Health Foundation are online 3-4pm today! Watch

StrawberryDreams
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago

The Mental Health Foundation is the UK’s charity for everyone’s mental health. With prevention at the heart of what they do, they aim to find and address the sources of mental health problems.

Today, we have two lovely team members from the Mental Health Foundation online to answer your questions about mental health.

They'll be replying to everyone between 3-4pm today, so add your question below now!

See our previous thread with the MH Foundation regarding body image with all their answers surrounding this years theme, or check out our hub for Mental Health Awareness Week for more information.

Piggle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm really stressed out with exams at the moment and starting to panic because my first two exams really didn't go very well - i'm scared of having a panic attack walking into my next exam tomorrow. Everyone else seems fine and are wondering why i'm having such a bad time when i did so much revision. i'm scared, what should i do?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 days ago
I think I'm depressed but I am too scared to go to my doctors because my mum has said that I'm just sad because I'm finding uni difficult and I shouldn't bother them. Everyone else in my family also thinks that i'm just sad but it's getting to the stage that nothing makes me happy. Is there anything I can do to convince them I should go? If I just went I think they'd be angry I wasted their time.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 days ago
What do you think about the increase in the prescription of anti-depressants in young people in recent years? Is this a good or bad thing?
CrazyKittenLady
  • TSR Group Staff
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)

The Mental Health Foundation is the UK’s charity for everyone’s mental health. With prevention at the heart of what they do, they aim to find and address the sources of mental health problems.

Today, we have two lovely team members from the Mental Health Foundation online to answer your questions about mental health.

They'll be replying to everyone between 3-4pm today, so add your question below now!

See our previous thread with the MH Foundation regarding body image with all their answers surrounding this years theme, or check out our hub for Mental Health Awareness Week for more information.

Sorry I have a few questions <3 Mental health issues are really close to my heart and something me and family/friends around me struggle with frequently.

What coping methods do you suggest to best help support your mental health, day to day and in high stress situations?

Is the cause of mental health issues environmental or genetic, or a bit of both?

Is there anyway to overcome a mental health issue or is it more of a spectrum that you can instead learn to have more control over?

Are hormonal changes one of the main causes of mental health issues, eg, periods, hormonal, pregnancy, birth and menopause?

What would you recommend the best ways to get help are if you suspect you or someone you know has a mental health issue and needs some additional support?
Mental Health Foundation
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Piggle)
I'm really stressed out with exams at the moment and starting to panic because my first two exams really didn't go very well - i'm scared of having a panic attack walking into my next exam tomorrow. Everyone else seems fine and are wondering why i'm having such a bad time when i did so much revision. i'm scared, what should i do?
You are not alone! Loads of people feel anxious both before and after exams, and you will not be the only person scared they did not go well. It can be really tough when exams feel so important. You said you have done loads of revision, so sounds like you've done the best you can do. Keep it up! Try and talk about how you feel with some friends, and de-stress with small breaks before your next exam. This guide from YoungMinds has some good tips for coping with exam stress.

From the MHF Team
Mental Health Foundation
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think I'm depressed but I am too scared to go to my doctors because my mum has said that I'm just sad because I'm finding uni difficult and I shouldn't bother them. Everyone else in my family also thinks that i'm just sad but it's getting to the stage that nothing makes me happy. Is there anything I can do to convince them I should go? If I just went I think they'd be angry I wasted their time.
If you are upset, it makes sense to get extra help! It is really common for people to worry about speaking to their GP about their mental health. The doctors are there to help you and it's a good space to start talking about your mental health to work out what to do next. We all have a right to good mental health and talking about it is never a waste of time. We have a guide on how to talk to your GP about your mental health on our website and there's a really useful website that allows you to collect your thoughts before you go to your GP called Doc Ready, you can even show your GP your notes on your phone directly if you don't feel confident enough to speak.

Sending all our care,
The MHF Team
Mental Health Foundation
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What do you think about the increase in the prescription of anti-depressants in young people in recent years? Is this a good or bad thing?
We know from the most recent NHS statistics on young people's mental health that there has been a small increase in mental health problems among young people over the past decade. We also know from these figures that around 1 in 4 young people with a mental health problem do not access any kind of support for their mental health.

An increase in anti-depressant prescriptions may mean that more people are getting help for their mental health, which is a good thing. Medication is a personal thing, it is really helpful for some people and not so helpful for others. It is always best to discuss with a professional to help you find what works best for you.

Thanks for your question!
The MHF Team
Mental Health Foundation
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by CrazyKittenLady)
Sorry I have a few questions <3 Mental health issues are really close to my heart and something me and family/friends around me struggle with frequently.

What coping methods do you suggest to best help support your mental health, day to day and in high stress situations?

Is the cause of mental health issues environmental or genetic, or a bit of both?

Is there anyway to overcome a mental health issue or is it more of a spectrum that you can instead learn to have more control over?

Are hormonal changes one of the main causes of mental health issues, eg, periods, hormonal, pregnancy, birth and menopause?

What would you recommend the best ways to get help are if you suspect you or someone you know has a mental health issue and needs some additional support?
Thanks for all of these interesting questions! We'll try to answer them in order below:

1. There are some simple ways to support your mental health in your daily life, different things will work for everyone, so its good to try a few that appeal to you. On our website you can find 101 tips for managing stress and a guide for looking after your mental health that are some good places to start!

2. Probably a bit of both, and what that balance looks like will be different for everyone. There are many things that we know can act as risk and protective factors for mental health, including genetic and environmental influences. We have a great summary of this on our website here.

3. Many people with a mental health problem experience a remission or recovery from their symptoms, but this may not be the case for everyone, and that's okay. There are also many different views on what "recovery" from a mental health problem looks like. There are lots of ways people living with a mental health problem can self-manage their symptoms, we've highlighted someone's experience of this, as well as ways to use our website for self-management on our Instagram account.

4. Generally hormones are not the main cause of mental health problems but can be a factor in how they carry on. Some hormonal changes are an indirect risk factor, for example puberty leads to massive body changes which can then lead to body image concerns, and the same with changes before and after pregnancy. For some people hormones can play a bigger role, such as people who have very painful periods, but this doesn't mean there aren't things you can do (non-hormonally) to manage the effects.

5. There are lots of great resources available. If you are concerned that you are developing a mental health problem you should seek the advice of your GP and reach out to friends and family for additional support. If you want to find out what support is available in your area, Mind have a helpful info line. If you know someone who you feel needs help, there are good guidelines from CALM, Beat, and NHS for showing them support.

Sending all our care,
The MHF Team
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (95)
23.51%
The paper was reasonable (184)
45.54%
Not feeling great about that exam (74)
18.32%
It was TERRIBLE (51)
12.62%

Watched Threads