The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Chemistry Gateway A 9-1 UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Condense the metal oxides into its liquid form and then dissolve it in water. Then measure the pH of the solution (e.g. with a pH probe) and if the solution is alkaline, then the element was a metal.
(basically this questions tested you on if you knew that metal oxides dissolved in water produced an alkaline solution and non-metal oxides produce an acidic solution when dissolved in water)
Original post by Who Even Am I?
What did you get for the metal oxides question???
Reply 41
It was -400 or something. It had to be a minus number as combustion is an exothermic reaction.
Original post by Shaun DJ23
Does anyone know what the answer was for the bond energy question as I got + 127?
Well, fudge. I said to test for whether it was acidic

Original post by qb2507
Condense the metal oxides into its liquid form and then dissolve it in water. Then measure the pH of the solution (e.g. with a pH probe) and if the solution is alkaline, then the element was a metal.
(basically this questions tested you on if you knew that metal oxides dissolved in water produced an alkaline solution and non-metal oxides produce an acidic solution when dissolved in water)
I accidentally put 0.01 mol but as it’s 4 marks would I get 2 marks for working out?

Maybe, you might get 3 marks even if the significant figure error was the only one you made. If you got somehting like 0.0999 before, you definitely would have got 3 marks I think
Original post by olkapippin
i literally worked out 0.0999 and left it like that as the man called times up, would I get a mark for it?

You would probably get 2 or 3 imo as you did the calculation just did not do significant figures.
or you could do qualitative analysis; flame test with bright colours or NaOH test with precipitate.
Original post by qb2507
Reply 46
Original post by Hsuperman
or you could do qualitative analysis; flame test with bright colours or NaOH test with precipitate.

No that's C4; this test was C1-3.
Reply 47
2/3 it's all good
How did u get -400 then?! If u used the bond energy with the double bond (which is for energy) that would be wrong as alcohols don’t have double bonds
Original post by qb2507
It was -400 or something. It had to be a minus number as combustion is an exothermic reaction.
Reply 49
No, I did (3*C-H)+(C-O)+(O-H) + (O=O) as my energy required to break bonds.
How did u get -400 then?! If u used the bond energy with the double bond (which is for energy) that would be wrong as alcohols don’t have double bonds
SAME! It was so wrong though lol, it was only 3 marks, no harm done

Does anyone know what the answer was for the bond energy question as I got + 127?
whattttt I kind of just wrote down a random number and it was right lollll

Yep 0.10 is correct as the ratios of Pb and Pb(NO3)2 are the same, so just do 20.7g/207.2 to get something like 0.0999, which to 2 s.f. is 0.10
Reply 53
what mark do u guys thing u got?
what did everyone get for the question where you had to calculate the mass and then say which element it was on the periodic table . I said silver
wasn't the enthalpy change like -a thousnad or something
cos the bonds had to be drawn out correctly as carbon dioxide is a double bond
what did you guys get for the aircraft Q?, where you had to agree whether you agree or not?
Reply 57
Hopefully in the 80's, wbu?
Original post by Sports
what mark do u guys thing u got?
Reply 58
Wrong exam board I think... There were no questions like that as far as I can remember
Original post by miaevansssss
what did everyone get for the question where you had to calculate the mass and then say which element it was on the periodic table . I said silver
Reply 59
I did that and I got -409...
Original post by muz123456
wasn't the enthalpy change like -a thousnad or something
cos the bonds had to be drawn out correctly as carbon dioxide is a double bond

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending