The Student Room Group

What's the best uni for history

Hi, I'm thinking of applying to some top universities in 2020 for History or something related (such as history and politics). I'm currently looking at Nottingham, Edinburgh, Sheffield and Manchester. All 4 unis seem to be on a similar level, but I was hoping someone could tell me the best of the 4 in terms of reputation (for history specifically or otherwise), as a place to live and for career opportunities afterwards. Feel free to suggest other universities too.

Thanks a lot.
prob. Edinburgh, it's almost a capital village , rather than a capital city. then I'd rank Nottingham, Manchester, Sheffield - but you should try and visit at least a few of the campuses (my record was 4 Scottish universities in one day - perhaps take it a bit slower than that) all interesting places that you've chosen.

Oxford is not actually impossible to get into, just a bit hard.
here is their History Acceptance test past-papers website, see how you get on , tho' note that it is now simplified to be a single question test
https://www.history.ox.ac.uk/history-aptitude-test-hat
Try Oxbridge or Durham. Exeter is also a good choice. Other good options include Bristol Lancaster, Warwick and York and in London UCL.
Reply 3
awesome, thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by LuigiMario
prob. Edinburgh, it's almost a capital village , rather than a capital city. then I'd rank Nottingham, Manchester, Sheffield - but you should try and visit at least a few of the campuses (my record was 4 Scottish universities in one day - perhaps take it a bit slower than that) all interesting places that you've chosen.

Oxford is not actually impossible to get into, just a bit hard.
here is their History Acceptance test past-papers website, see how you get on , tho' note that it is now simplified to be a single question test
https://www.history.ox.ac.uk/history-aptitude-test-hat
I heard Kent is meant to be quite good for history.

London whose UCL, Kings and LSE are meant to be good.

I heard SOAS is meant to be very diverse less Eurocentric if you want more of world history feather than just Europe
I applied to Durham, York, Leeds, Exeter, Birmingham - will be going to Leeds hopefully. Also went to see Glasgow (loved the uni but hated the course)
Hi there!
Great to hear you’re hoping to study History! I’ve just finished my history degree from Kent and really enjoyed it :biggrin: I know that Kent wasn’t in your list from your original post but as @eternal123 has said, Kent is also a good uni for history :smile: It ranks similar to some of the unis you’re currently looking at and I personally loved studying history there! The thing for me was having the flexibility to study the kind of history I was interested in without having compulsory modules in areas I didn’t like, and at Kent you get to chose all of your modules in 2nd and 3rd year so the course is entirely what you want to study. From personal experience i’d recommend checking out Kent’s history course :smile: Good luck with your university choices and applications :biggrin:
Original post by eternal123
I heard Kent is meant to be quite good for history.

Original post by MB2002
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to some top universities in 2020 for History or something related (such as history and politics). I'm currently looking at Nottingham, Edinburgh, Sheffield and Manchester. All 4 unis seem to be on a similar level, but I was hoping someone could tell me the best of the 4 in terms of reputation (for history specifically or otherwise), as a place to live and for career opportunities afterwards. Feel free to suggest other universities too.

Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending