The Student Room Group

Miss Universe GB finalist to wear hijab

https://beautypageants.indiatimes.com/miss-universe/muslim-woman-to-wear-hijab-at-miss-universe-great-britain-finale/eventshow/69324383.cms

Fair enough, a woman doesn't need to show her hair to demonstrate beauty, and I am sufficiently woke to be appalled at the whole concept of beauty pageants anyway.

How dare beautiful women parade around, making plain feminist women jealous? For shame...

But surely as a society embracing and celebrating diversity we should go to the logical conclusion here? A Miss Universe contest with all the contestants in burkas?

Scroll to see replies

I did not even know Miss Universe was still running I through in finished running back in the 1980s.
not really a hijab if half her hair is showing and shes layered with make up lol
Reply 3
I for one support this entirely, she is the perfect choice to represent our nation. After all, what could possibly be more quintessentially British than a Somali, muslim woman in a hijab?
ok, somebody wears a hijab.
(edited 4 years ago)
They should honestly be banned, especially for Beauty pageants.
Original post by Digital_King321

Peak white saviour syndrome - 'hijabs are oppressive because sometimes women don't have a choice but to wear them. They should be banned to give women autonomy!'
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by generallee
https://beautypageants.indiatimes.com/miss-universe/muslim-woman-to-wear-hijab-at-miss-universe-great-britain-finale/eventshow/69324383.cms

Fair enough, a woman doesn't need to show her hair to demonstrate beauty, and I am sufficiently woke to be appalled at the whole concept of beauty pageants anyway.

How dare beautiful women parade around, making plain feminist women jealous? For shame...

But surely as a society embracing and celebrating diversity we should go to the logical conclusion here? A Miss Universe contest with all the contestants in burkas?

They are not wearing burqas but hijabs. There is a difference.

It is interesting how you went from being “appalled” by the concept of beauty pageants to blasting for some women wearing hijabs.

First of all, hijab women have been in international beauty pageants for years. Second, I thought feminism is giving women control and agency over her body?

So we are happy for women to go around half naked, but get angry when some choose to cover up?
Reply 8
Original post by Digital_King321

Why should they be banned?
this country is literally based around liberalism and people want to ban other people who choose to cover their hair.
why is this news?
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Peak white saviour syndrome - 'hijabs are oppressive because sometimes women don't have a choice but to wear them. They should be banned to give women autonomy!'

It's not really though.There has been a whole massive campaign in Iran by women against hijabs.Its recognised as a form of oppression by most people except the regressive left who thinks it's in other people's culture to be oppressed.Even though of course they'd never except such things for themselves.
didnt know this was running...is the woman a muslim or is she doing that whatchamacallit... cultural appropriation ****?
Reply 13
There's a Mr. Universe contest too, all talk of sexism is off. Does she look good in a bikini, that is the question.
(edited 4 years ago)
I know Mr. Arnold Schwarzenegger win Mr. Universe when he was 20
Original post by z-hog
There's a Mr. Universe contest too, all talk of sexism is off. Does she look good in a bikini, that is the question.
Reply 15
In the early years, the contestants were judged in swimsuit and evening gown only. However, since 2015, the climax round for the live pageant is the question and answer portion of the Top 3 remaining contestants.

Good Lord, that is political correctness gone nuts. You look great but do you have a brain? :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by looloo2134
I know Mr. Arnold Schwarzenegger win Mr. Universe when he was 20

That would have been when he won it as Amateur, said he would be back the following year as a Pro and so he did. Won it three times as such, no questions asked.
Original post by generallee

That's true! Since there are hijabis, there should be women in burkas too!!
Since there are women in bikinis, there should be naked women too!

100% agree.
Reply 18
Original post by verycoolperson
not really a hijab if half her hair is showing and shes layered with make up lol

Theres nothing stopping a woman showing some of her hair whilst wearing one, go to any middle eastern city (bar maybe KSA) and you'll see theres a booming fashion industry around them.
I'm not entirely sure why you think people wearing them cant wear make up though?
Reply 19
Original post by Wōden
I for one support this entirely, she is the perfect choice to represent our nation. After all, what could possibly be more quintessentially British than a Somali, muslim woman in a hijab?

I know you were trying to be funny but you are actually right. It absolutely demonstrates those British values of tolerance and acceptance, values that are under threat at the moment. It shouts "you don't have to be British to be British" from the roof tops. One in the eye for Farage and his knuckle-dragging followers.
Vive la difference!

Quick Reply

Latest