Can a university revoke my unconditional if firmed offer? Watch

ngohwm
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all,

Back in December I firmed an unconditional-if-firmed offer, so for the past five months I haven't been trying nearly as hard as I could due to a lack of motivation. I study 2 A-Levels (Philosophy, Sociology) and a BTEC Subsidiary in ICT; I've already completed by BTEC Subsidiary, and both of my teachers confirmed that I ought to get a D* considering I got a Distinction in 5 out of my 6 units, and a Pass in the last Unit (after they confirmed to me that's all I needed to get for a D*).

I was predicted A*A in my A Levels, however since the unconditional I've been averaging out Bs and Cs throughout my mocks with the occasional E or U (which I've improved back to a B in a retake) simply due to the little motivation I had in the year for my A Levels, along with the fact that the subjects simply didn't interest me as much as ICT did (I'm studying Software Engineering at the university that gave me an unconditional).

My first exam is in six days and admittedly I haven't touched revision at all (Sociology) - I've touched Philosophy here and then, but again, definitely not to a standard where I'm aiming to get high grades. While I know for a fact I'm definitely going to complete Sixth Form with the subjects I'm currently studying (i.e. I won't be kicked off a course, or I won't drop a course), the worst case scenario for me is D*UU - would a university revoke their unconditional-if-firmed offer as a result?

I'd like to imagine no, because I achieved the highest possible grade in the only relevant subject to the course I'm studying at university, but I'd like some reassurance from others who do have experience with unconditionals. A friend told me he saw a post here from a student that said a university revoked their unconditional because the student got all Us as a result and the university apparently didn't like the fact that the student "didn't try at all," but again, I won't be getting all Us because I've already secured the highest possible grade in the only relevant course I'm currently studying.
denlab
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think you have to get 3 E’s minimum at least? I’m sure you can get that.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Afterlife?
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by denlab)
I think you have to get 3 E’s minimum at least? I’m sure you can get that.
Yea getting an E is single digits in each paper so it's definitely 100% you could get at least 9/100 in each paper
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As long as you complete your exams you are fine. End of.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You only need to sit the exams
You can fail them and you are still in (though this won't look good to future employers so I'd recommend working a bit to try and get a decent grade)
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Having a good set of A-level grades is an extra boost for getting a job so its worth doing it. + you worked 2 years for these subjects so might as well finish in style by getting A/A*s
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i don't even think you have to pass but if the university gave you an unconditional it's because they want your money not your grades
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Demotivation is one of many reasons some of us are opposed to the unconditional offers. Schools in particular have major concerns due to the lower results affecting them in league tables. Unless the university have stated anything like you need to pass you will be fine. They make these offers because they believe in you. It is their problem not yours if you dont achieve your normal grades due to knowing you are in a set university.
Frankkly
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Surely, there's a lesson for life here: Find out the facts BEFORE you make decisions or take action. You've got away with it this time but in the real world you'll find it's very different when you start work!
scorpiorules
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
The problem comes when you and someone else have the same degree and the other person has decent A Levels and there is nothing else to choose between you.
Sefrca
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
If the offer is truly unconditional then they should have to accept you regardless (but if in doubt, a call to the uni should clear anything up). Although, as others have said, getting Us now after 2 years of work would be an awful shame, and would look terrible when it comes to employment later in life. I recommend just working as hard as possible for the next few days to try to salvage as much of your A-levels as you can, no matter whether that place at uni is still available or not... this work is only temporary, but those grades stay with you for life. Good luck

As a side note, these unconditional offers really do seem to be damaging. They entice students in, often making them commit to a university that is well below their top ability, just so that they can take in another £9250 per year, and in the end this leads to a total lack of motivation and, as a result, the offer holder's grades plummeting.
ngohwm
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Sefrca)
If the offer is truly unconditional then they should have to accept you regardless (but if in doubt, a call to the uni should clear anything up). Although, as others have said, getting Us now after 2 years of work would be an awful shame, and would look terrible when it comes to employment later in life. I recommend just working as hard as possible for the next few days to try to salvage as much of your A-levels as you can, no matter whether that place at uni is still available or not... this work is only temporary, but those grades stay with you for life. Good luck

As a side note, these unconditional offers really do seem to be damaging. They entice students in, often making them commit to a university that is well below their top ability, just so that they can take in another £9250 per year, and in the end this leads to a total lack of motivation and, as a result, the offer holder's grades plummeting.
yeah, i feel a little bit of guilt since i know how much my teachers have done for me and everyone else in my class to get high grades - but i suppose they already did their job if they helped put me in a position to receive an unconditional in the first place

it's strange, the whole employment argument still doesn't motivate me whatsoever to revise. my counsellor suggested i treat it as self-medication, which worked to an extent, but i'm still left completely bored and always look for something else to do

as for the "below their top ability" statement, the unconditional came from lancaster university which was my first choice had there not been an unconditional anyway, and is also a top 10 uni in the UK and top 150 in the world - i don't think it's below my top ability at all hahahaha

i did more work than i thought i would when i first got the unconditional offer, so i suppose i can tell myself that :X

(Original post by scorpiorules)
The problem comes when you and someone else have the same degree and the other person has decent A Levels and there is nothing else to choose between you.
i'm fairly positive that an employer would choose me if my experience, portfolio and personality matches their needs - i think it wouldn't make sense to hire someone who doesn't have the three but better a levels than me

if they also have the three, fair enough - but i don't think there's a particular job shortage in the software engineer sector thankfully

(Original post by swanseajack1)
Demotivation is one of many reasons some of us are opposed to the unconditional offers. Schools in particular have major concerns due to the lower results affecting them in league tables. Unless the university have stated anything like you need to pass you will be fine. They make these offers because they believe in you. It is their problem not yours if you dont achieve your normal grades due to knowing you are in a set university.
lancaster haven't mentioned anything about meeting minimum expectations - their page on their unconditional offer scheme says that they give the offers expecting them to still achieve their expected grades. unfortunately, that didn't apply to me i'm a very motivation-based student, if the motivation isn't there and i'm not particularly passionate about the subject (i.e. sociology) then i find it very difficult to revise for it

lancaster says this on their page:
"An unconditional offer demonstrates our view that an applicant is academically gifted and will continue to work hard to achieve their predicted grades. We will still accept applicants with an unconditional offer in the unlikely event that they fail to achieve their predicted grades. Under this scheme, unconditional offer holders who achieve excellence in their qualifications will receive an Excellence Scholarship."

so as far as i can tell, as long as i sit my exams, regardless of my grades i'll still be admitted me (thankfully!)

(Original post by HoldThisL)
i don't even think you have to pass but if the university gave you an unconditional it's because they want your money not your grades
lancaster can take my money for all i want, they're a top 10 uni! hahahahhaha

(Original post by AzureCeleste)
You only need to sit the exams
You can fail them and you are still in (though this won't look good to future employers so I'd recommend working a bit to try and get a decent grade)
(Original post by ageshallnot)
As long as you complete your exams you are fine. End of.
thanks for the confirmation
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Sefrca)

The unis giving unconditional offers aren't always below a student's abilities - Birmingham and Lancaster offer them to lots of students predicted AAA, for example, (and Nottingham did until this year) and those are very good unis.

The problem is only when students take their foot off the gas after they receive these offers and go from being hard working with AAA predictions to coasting through the rest of the course. I would say the majority of students don't do this since they are conscientious and understand that their A level results will still affect their job applications further down the line, but a minority of students do unfortunately fall into this trap.

But to answer OP, they can't take the offer away from you as long as you sit the exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (488)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (604)
38.5%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.44%
It was TERRIBLE (219)
13.96%

Watched Threads