Universities you think will fall in reputation over the next decade? Watch

DuckDodgers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
This isn't a post to demean universities but I was thinking last night about the state of university education in this economic climate. I wonder which universities might slip down the rankings over the next five/ten years.

Personally I think historically decent-yet-unspectacular universities will feel it most. I don't think these universities necessarily offer employers the instant pull that practical-course portfolios can offer; neither do they provide the allure of reputation that the Russell Groups and Oxbridge's of this world bring.

Examples include:
- Surrey
- Leicester
- Essex
- Aston
- Reading
- Hull

I know at least two of them are massively struggling for funding so think they'll only struggle further if Brexit destroys research links with European organisations (e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-47419418).

On the flip side, I expect more practical universities will rise. Places like Loughborough, Bournemouth, Coventry, Brighton.

What are your expectations?
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 4 days ago
shadowarcher12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Where does Queen Marys figure into all of this?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 days ago
UCL, King's and Queen Mary.
Izzythestudent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Interesting
I agree with you practical unis will rise; places like Brighton and bournemouth have already developed a larger reputation recently. I think it’s because employers are beginning to value practical skills over just having a degree now- because everyone has a degree.
Not sure which ones will fall though. Maybe Reading, like you said, I’ve seen it’s already less prestigious than it was, at least from my friends experiences...
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #2
Report 4 days ago
Think one of the names on your list slipped a lot because they spent all their money on buildings and forgot they needed to attract students to fill them :flute:
DuckDodgers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by shadowarcher12)
Where does Queen Marys figure into all of this?
Difficult to say as I don't have personal experience. I used to live in East London though and it's so well located that practically anybody who goes there can get some form of work experience outside of their studies. I think that's a big draw in ensuring it fits into the modern world.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (216)
21.86%
The paper was reasonable (427)
43.22%
Not feeling great about that exam... (190)
19.23%
It was TERRIBLE (155)
15.69%

Watched Threads