Can I Have a Current Account With a Student Account? Watch

TeeCup_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I currently hold a current account and some savings accounts with Nationwide. I want to open a student account with Santander. I know you’re not allowed to have two student accounts at one time but does this also go for normal current accounts?

I did get my application rejected at first but they said it was too soon (despite letting me complete it?) So I’m just wondering if this could be the issue?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TeeCup_)
I currently hold a current account and some savings accounts with Nationwide. I want to open a student account with Santander. I know you’re not allowed to have two student accounts at one time but does this also go for normal current accounts?

I did get my application rejected at first but they said it was too soon (despite letting me complete it?) So I’m just wondering if this could be the issue?
It shouldn't be an issue, santander might want you to have a certain balance or direct debits using that account but check with them.
TeeCup_
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
It shouldn't be an issue, santander might want you to have a certain balance or direct debits using that account but check with them.
They did say I’d have to have my main source of income paid into the account, which of course is my student loan. And I agreed to this since it’s what I want the account for.

I want to keep my Nationwide current account for my wages, I’m good with money but having my pay and student loan shovelled into the same account will mess up my spending and budgeting. Obviously savings accounts aren’t usually an issue but I’d have to keep my current account open to use these anyway.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TeeCup_)
They did say I’d have to have my main source of income paid into the account, which of course is my student loan. And I agreed to this since it’s what I want the account for.

I want to keep my Nationwide current account for my wages, I’m good with money but having my pay and student loan shovelled into the same account will mess up my spending and budgeting. Obviously savings accounts aren’t usually an issue but I’d have to keep my current account open to use these anyway.
If you have separate account to help you budget then that seems like a great idea
TeeCup_
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
If you have separate account to help you budget then that seems like a great idea
I thought so too! Wages and other monies into one, where I can spend on my food, activities, and anything else. Then my student account for my loan and overdraft!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.53%
No I haven't decided yet (59)
22.96%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.51%

Watched Threads