54.17%
No - usually not (11)
45.83%
angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I think it is but only the few greatest minds among us have mastered it.
Last edited by angelike1; 4 days ago
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Meh, I don't think you can make a conscious decision regarding your emotions. Although I think there are things you can do to help your subconscious make you happy. Only choice is the actions you take, not the emotion.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Not really, though there are things you can focus on to affect the overall thrust, i.,e. not dwelling on the shite bits, not getting caught up in failures and all that. They aren't choices to happiness, but they are choices that can allow happiness to manifest itself.
Gent2324
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
90% of the time yes. if youre depressed and sad, the only one that can change that is you.
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
you can probably get an injection for that
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
There’s a range of factors but an important one is what you choose to focus on. Thinking and being grateful really does help
Enya-Chan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I'm depressed and nobody is willing to talk to me so I really don't get help and it's bad
angelike1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
Meh, I don't think you can make a conscious decision regarding your emotions.
You sort of can. Depends on what you mean by conscious decision though. If imagining myself lying down on a sunny beach makes me happy, is that a conscious decision?
Last edited by angelike1; 4 days ago
angel.xo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
no its not a choice. depression is sometimes genetic.
angelike1
Rep:
?
(Original post by angel.xo)
no its not a choice. depression is sometimes genetic.
True, but depressed people can still be happy (albeit not as easily).
angel.xo
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by angelike1)
True, but depressed people can still be happy (albeit not as easily).
i hope so
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I think it is but only the few greatest minds among us have mastered it.
I think most of what happens to us is beyond our control, but we can choose how to react to them. That is why happiness being a choice comes into play.

Two people can fail an exam; one of them cries and moves on, the other cries and falls into depression.
Enya-Chan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I hope so too. I'd love to be happy again!
(Original post by angel.xo)
i hope so
angelike1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wired_1800)
I think most of what happens to us is beyond our control, but we can choose how to react to them. That is why happiness being a choice comes into play.

Two people can fail an exam; one of them cries and moves on, the other cries and falls into depression.
Agreed - that would be a yes on the poll imo
izkhan.12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
sometimes. It depends
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Then the choice you've made there is the thinking, not the emotion. But there's a big difference between what you think and how you feel, and the idea that thoughts and feelings are interchangeable is potentially very damaging because, much as you might want to, you can't control how you feel. And you can't control happiness because happiness is a feeling. You can't just choose to be happy when your dog just died or your wife just left or you're suffering from depression. You can't choose to be happy when you just found out your child has cancer or your parents are abusive or your doctor just diagnosed you with a chronic illness. Although you can still do things(positive thinking, meditation, exercise) that would help make you happy.
You sort of can. Depends on what you mean by conscious decision though. If imagining myself lying down on a sunny beach makes me happy, is that a conscious decision?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
Then the choice you've made there is the thinking, not the emotion. But there's a big difference between what you think and how you feel, and the idea that thoughts and feelings are interchangeable is potentially very damaging because, much as you might want to, you can't control how you feel. And you can't control happiness because happiness is a feeling. You can't just choose to be happy when your dog just died or your wife just left or you're suffering from depression. You can't choose to be happy when you just found out your child has cancer or your parents are abusive or your doctor just diagnosed you with a chronic illness. Although you can still do things(positive thinking, meditation, exercise) that would help make you happy.
Yes. It's the same for any emotion. Most people know that their fears of spider, insects etc is stupid, but it doesn't stop it manifesting. It needs more than a simple decision.
angel.xo
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)

this is true but surely in their minds they don't have a choice because there could be an underlying problem for e.g having high standards or being obsessed with doing well?
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Yes.
A positive mindset can work wonders for morale, coping with challenges and adapting to a demanding environment.
So can adopting reasonable personal attitudes towards risk and trying to be proactive rather than destructive.

I knew two people who died of bone cancer.
One died aged 17, the other was 68.
Each knew it was terminal and had undergone years of intensive medical treatment.
No family support, very little money and no belief in miracles or religion.
Yet their attitudes to enjoying every single minute of life and helping other people were amazing.
izkhan.12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
it depends because when my older sister left i was heart broken however i have let go of it and i choose to be happy with my family and friends and with what i have now. At some point in life u have to let go and choose to be happy. It is all up to u
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (97)
23.43%
The paper was reasonable (190)
45.89%
Not feeling great about that exam (75)
18.12%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
12.56%

Watched Threads