PhD Interview Watch

Salll93
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I have my interview tomorrow and I am understandably incredibly nervous.

Anyone from their experience have any tips for any massive do and do not's in the interview?

Also, how long does it usually take to hear back if you have been successful after an interview?
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Don't overthink.

Just focus on your research project; go over each bit.

Have a think about questions they are likely to ask you -- biggest challenges, do you think you can get it done in timeframe, why you chose the methodology and so forth.

Have fun with it. It's a chance to speak with people about a topic you presumably enjoy -- make the most of the conversation.

Some tips with funding interviews: go over the criteria and weighting they use, try to focus your responses on the funding body's priorities (environment, social justice, innovation, etc) and ensure that each response you give sort of touches upon what they want to see. The formal criteria should be listed on the funding body's site.

Heard back after a couple of weeks.
Last edited by Notoriety; 5 days ago
Salll93
Rep:
?
Thank you.

My only concern is that the funding section it stated it was 'to the same level as RCUK'. So I am assuming it isnt funded by RCUK and no other information was given. It is a question I want to ask tomorrow.
(Original post by Notoriety)
Don't overthink.

Just focus on your research project; go over each bit.

Have a think about questions they are likely to ask you -- biggest challenges, do you think you can get it done in timeframe, why you chose the methodology and so forth.

Have fun with it. It's a chance to speak with people about a topic you presumably enjoy -- make the most of the conversation.

Some tips with funding interviews: go over the criteria and weighting they use, try to focus your responses on the funding body's priorities (environment, social justice, innovation, etc) and ensure that each response you give sort of touches upon what they want to see. The formal criteria should be listed on the funding body's site.

Heard back after a couple of weeks.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If it says 'same level as' then it'll probably be departmental. No biggie, it's still funded!
Salll93
Rep:
?
Thank you! If it is departmental does that make a difference at all?
(Original post by gjd800)
If it says 'same level as' then it'll probably be departmental. No biggie, it's still funded!
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Salll93)
Thank you! If it is departmental does that make a difference at all?
There is an argument that it is slightly less prestigious than research council funding, but in my experience it makes very little tangible difference when it comes to getting work afterwards. It will make no practical difference to the day-to-day of your experience
Salll93
Rep:
?
Ahh ok. Do you think I should bring it up in my questions at the end? They had 20 applicants and after a journal club exercise and telephone call have narrowed it down to formal interviews. Gone through quite a bit to get here and do not want to be at a disadvantage later on if I am successful. I have a 1st class undergrad and an MRes so its not like a research council funding would be completely out of reach for another project.
(Original post by gjd800)
There is an argument that it is slightly less prestigious than research council funding, but in my experience it makes very little tangible difference when it comes to getting work afterwards. It will make no practical difference to the day-to-day of your experience
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Ahh ok. Do you think I should bring it up in my questions at the end? They had 20 applicants and after a journal club exercise and telephone call have narrowed it down to formal interviews. Gone through quite a bit to get here and do not want to be at a disadvantage later on if I am successful. I have a 1st class undergrad and an MRes so its not like a research council funding would be completely out of reach for another project.
By all means ask them, yes! They won't mind you enquiring as to how the funding works—it is really important to most candidates that they have reliable funding!
Salll93
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Well I feel like it went horrific but obviously don’t have anything to compare to. They were asking about my GCSE’s - 10 years ago! But nothing about my undegrad. Focused on the fact I didn’t do chemistry at A-level and that I took a year out between a-levels and going to uni! 🤦🏼*♀️
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Well I feel like it went horrific but obviously don’t have anything to compare to. They were asking about my GCSE’s - 10 years ago! But nothing about my undegrad. Focused on the fact I didn’t do chemistry at A-level and that I took a year out between a-levels and going to uni! 🤦🏼*♀️
That's the annoying think about dept-based ones; they can do what they like. They're not meeting criteria that RCs have set.
Salll93
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Well I just got an email offering me the PhD studentship so I mustn’t have done that badly!

I asked about funding and it’s half funded by a hospital charity and half by the department.
(Original post by Notoriety)
That's the annoying think about dept-based ones; they can do what they like. They're not meeting criteria that RCs have set.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Well I just got an email offering me the PhD studentship so I mustn’t have done that badly!

I asked about funding and it’s half funded by a hospital charity and half by the department.
Congratulations! Well done.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (379)
26.12%
The paper was reasonable (629)
43.35%
Not feeling great about that exam (285)
19.64%
It was TERRIBLE (158)
10.89%

Watched Threads