The Student Room Group

Media GCSE

I am pretty sure that I want to take media for one of my options, but I wanted someone to tell me what’s it really like. Does anyone know anything about it?Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I'm currently doing AQA Media. I think Media is extremely fun as we get to learn about how the media manages to communicate messages towards us, how we can do the same, produce our own products, and gain writing skills. Based on my mocks, I'd say I find the exams quite easy, but this differs from person-to-person of course. If you enjoy writing, would enjoy analysing and creating media products, I think this may be the subject for you. Only thing I dislike is the fact that we have to study Zoella and Kim Kardashian this year. :colonhash:
Thanks xx
Original post by 1ightheart
I'm currently doing AQA Media. I think Media is extremely fun as we get to learn about how the media manages to communicate messages towards us, how we can do the same, produce our own products, and gain writing skills. Based on my mocks, I'd say I find the exams quite easy, but this differs from person-to-person of course. If you enjoy writing, would enjoy analysing and creating media products, I think this may be the subject for you. Only thing I dislike is the fact that we have to study Zoella and Kim Kardashian this year. :colonhash:
DON'T TAKE IT! You won't learn anything - I kid you not it's so useless...I will be honest with you, it's heavily based on essays - 20 mark questions and a lot about context; if you're not a confident writer then DON'T TAKE IT!!! If you dwell into the more creative aspect of things then don't get fooled by this subject, it's only 30% coursework, which means that it doesn't affect your grade much at all. I know some people in my class are predicted 2's and 3's for their exam in a week or two. It's NOT an easy 9; I was misled into thinking it was. If you're getting a 7,8 or 9 in English right now, then consider it, otherwise NOOOOO!
How did you do in your mocks? I need someone to talk with about Media GCSE!!! Also, what grade did you get for your coursework?
@anikamehra7 I got full marks for my Coursework (Not finalised though as AQA themselves also need to check it) , and I got an 8 for Paper 1 and a 7 for Paper 2, not sure what the grade was overall for my mock.
I got full marks in my coursework as well, but what were the grade boundaries for both your papers? Ours was 90% for a 9, 80% for an 8, 70% for a 7... I got a 6 on paper 1 and a 7 on paper 2!
@anikamehra7 I got full marks for my Coursework (Not finalised though as AQA themselves also need to check it) , and I got an 8 for Paper 1 and a 7 for Paper 2, not sure what the grade was overall for my mock.
I’m not sure, sorry.
Reply 8

How do you structure a analytical paragraph tho
PEEL

Point
Evidence
Explain
Link
PEEL

Point
Evidence
Explain
Link

Could you find like any example answers online because I can’t seem to find any

How? OMG you are so smart!
Original post by anikamehra7
I got full marks in my coursework as well, but what were the grade boundaries for both your papers? Ours was 90% for a 9, 80% for an 8, 70% for a 7... I got a 6 on paper 1 and a 7 on paper 2!
I do wjec media, well it was fun in yr 9 cuz we did movies but they didnt tell us we are going to do some boring stuff like 'it crowd' and 'the arches'+ comparing newspapers. I kinda regret that i've chosen it , but it's your decision
Original post by I.Need.Help999
I am pretty sure that I want to take media for one of my options, but I wanted someone to tell me what’s it really like. Does anyone know anything about it?Thanks
Original post by StudyCat
Could you find like any example answers online because I can’t seem to find any

If you look up AQA Media GCSE you can find tons of Sample Papers alongside Sample answers to help aid you in answering questions.
Original post by smith.214
I do wjec media, well it was fun in yr 9 cuz we did movies but they didnt tell us we are going to do some boring stuff like 'it crowd' and 'the arches'+ comparing newspapers. I kinda regret that i've chosen it , but it's your decision

How fun you’d find your CSPs is based off of what exam board you do, I think that’s what mainly contributes to how much you enjoy the subject as Media does mainly revolve around writing but the CSPs also take part in it, so I can see why you didn’t enjoy yours. I hope that in the future they’ll change the CSPs to match young people’s current interests.
Thank you! I just put in a lot of effort into my coursework - I spent a majority of my winter break doing it :frown:
Original post by charlieyee
How? OMG you are so smart!
Original post by anikamehra7
Thank you! I just put in a lot of effort into my coursework - I spent a majority of my winter break doing it :frown:

Lol I was going to do a film tralier/ opening sequence but then realised that wasn't going to happen, I spent 3 weeks planinng so did the website last minute on Wix but was on the grind all week, lol I have no idea on how I did !
Does anyone have any idea what the paper will be like?, this is for wjec eduqas by the way...
Reply 18

I love the fact we have to study Kim K and Zoella the only thing I strongly dislike is the beats and abc ratio im completely stuck on that ;(
Reply 19
Does anyone have any predictions for AQA Media?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending