I'm Always Left Out Watch

thoughtcriminal
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
And I feel pretty lonely. I find it really difficult to make friends so only have a few. I'm always being left out of everything and it f*cking hurts.

I've been close mates with a lad since Year 7 (we're in Year 12 now) - like, really close. He knows basically everything about me. In Year 10 and Year 11 my entire friend group was him, another lad and a girl. Loads of weekends they'd go to his house for drinks/food/movies, and they'd come into school on Mondays and talk about it right in front of me.

When prom came around, I didn't go. About 4 weeks before it, I asked my mate if he was having an after-prom thing that I could come to, and he was like "nah, but I'll let you know if it changes". This was in July last year. He didn't say anything else. About 2 weeks ago when we were eating lunch in college he accidentally let slip that actually, he did have an after-prom - which I obviously wasn't invited to. Him and the guy and girl we were friends with still meet up all the time, and I'm literally never asked to do anything.

When we started college I made friends with this girl, and she's really nice. My mate thinks she's cute and that, and he's been trying to get with her since September. That's cool for him, whatever. But now the only time he ever messages me is to talk about her. When I ask him to meet up and go park or something, he's "busy" - yet he's always meeting up with her, and again I'm never invited.

All three of us are good friends, and it's not like I'm going to "steal her" or anything, but I'm just never invited. They send me photos on Snapchat of themselves at each other's houses/somewhere outside together. I've known him nearly 6 years and I've been to his house once, and met up about 5 times.

It's so stupid. He's replacing his "best mate" of 6 years with a girl he's known about 8 months. And yes, I'm salty. Because I've told him multiple times, like "dude, I know you like her but it feels like you're pushing me away". And he always says "sorry man, i don't mean to". So he knows it hurts, and he knows about all the **** I've been dealing with the past few years, and he knows that I find it difficult to make friends - and yet he continues to do it.

As well as the three of us, there's probably 3-4 others in our "group" at college. I've tried making plans numerous times, and they're all like "yeah that sounds great" and promising to come. And then last minute everyone cancels.

I feel invisible sometimes. People just forget I'm there. I get interrupted a lot, and no one seems to listen to what I say. When we're walking to class they all walk ahead in a group with me alone at the back.

It's not like I've done anything. I've asked my mate and he says "no, it's not you, don't mean to do it". I haven't argued with anyone, I'm nice, I make people laugh, I've never been mean about them, I put everything I can into friendships because I have so few. And yet this doesn't ever feel reciprocated.

I know this is long. And I know people will be like "you're 17, grow up". But this has been building up for years and it really really hurts. I do everything I can to make people happy, and then I'm just left out and alone. I've had sick days off and no one really noticed. Idk, I feel unwanted I guess.

I don't really know why I posted tbh - maybe I just needed to vent? Anyway, if anyone wants to I'd be happy to talk - about anything really. I'm fed up of feeling lonely and left out by people who are supposed to care about me.
BedfordMom
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Gosh! That was really hard reading. What are your interests?
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
why do you continue to hang around these people who clearly have no interest in you?

real friends > being alone > fake friends IMO
jackbus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've experienced something like you have bounced between groups but never felt welcome in any or was in groups but always on the edge. Its hard,my way out was through the internet I met some guys who I really got along with which just helped me get through A-levels, which I think are just so hard and stressful anyway. Once I got to uni met a few guys, we are close mates and its so much better now.

Now I call people out on their actions like if you agree on something and people don't come or just ghost. Its cut out fake people so now I've got people I trust around me.
Purple Apple
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know exactly how you feel. I'm never invited to things either, and I a lot of the time I feel like people only speak to me because they feel sorry for me. I'm forgotten about a lot; I'm always the afterthought of my friends. It's only when I don't sit with them that they're like "Oh, where is she?". So yeah, you're not alone.

(Original post by thoughtcriminal)
And I feel pretty lonely. I find it really difficult to make friends so only have a few. I'm always being left out of everything and it f*cking hurts.

I've been close mates with a lad since Year 7 (we're in Year 12 now) - like, really close. He knows basically everything about me. In Year 10 and Year 11 my entire friend group was him, another lad and a girl. Loads of weekends they'd go to his house for drinks/food/movies, and they'd come into school on Mondays and talk about it right in front of me.

When prom came around, I didn't go. About 4 weeks before it, I asked my mate if he was having an after-prom thing that I could come to, and he was like "nah, but I'll let you know if it changes". This was in July last year. He didn't say anything else. About 2 weeks ago when we were eating lunch in college he accidentally let slip that actually, he did have an after-prom - which I obviously wasn't invited to. Him and the guy and girl we were friends with still meet up all the time, and I'm literally never asked to do anything.

When we started college I made friends with this girl, and she's really nice. My mate thinks she's cute and that, and he's been trying to get with her since September. That's cool for him, whatever. But now the only time he ever messages me is to talk about her. When I ask him to meet up and go park or something, he's "busy" - yet he's always meeting up with her, and again I'm never invited.

All three of us are good friends, and it's not like I'm going to "steal her" or anything, but I'm just never invited. They send me photos on Snapchat of themselves at each other's houses/somewhere outside together. I've known him nearly 6 years and I've been to his house once, and met up about 5 times.

It's so stupid. He's replacing his "best mate" of 6 years with a girl he's known about 8 months. And yes, I'm salty. Because I've told him multiple times, like "dude, I know you like her but it feels like you're pushing me away". And he always says "sorry man, i don't mean to". So he knows it hurts, and he knows about all the **** I've been dealing with the past few years, and he knows that I find it difficult to make friends - and yet he continues to do it.

As well as the three of us, there's probably 3-4 others in our "group" at college. I've tried making plans numerous times, and they're all like "yeah that sounds great" and promising to come. And then last minute everyone cancels.

I feel invisible sometimes. People just forget I'm there. I get interrupted a lot, and no one seems to listen to what I say. When we're walking to class they all walk ahead in a group with me alone at the back.

It's not like I've done anything. I've asked my mate and he says "no, it's not you, don't mean to do it". I haven't argued with anyone, I'm nice, I make people laugh, I've never been mean about them, I put everything I can into friendships because I have so few. And yet this doesn't ever feel reciprocated.

I know this is long. And I know people will be like "you're 17, grow up". But this has been building up for years and it really really hurts. I do everything I can to make people happy, and then I'm just left out and alone. I've had sick days off and no one really noticed. Idk, I feel unwanted I guess.

I don't really know why I posted tbh - maybe I just needed to vent? Anyway, if anyone wants to I'd be happy to talk - about anything really. I'm fed up of feeling lonely and left out by people who are supposed to care about me.
thoughtcriminal
Rep:
?
(Original post by BedfordMom)
Gosh! That was really hard reading. What are your interests?
I like reading, playing guitar, science, sport. I don't really watch much TV but I do like a few shows. I listen to a lot of music. Fairly typical things, I'm not a very interesting person.

(Original post by ltsmith)
why do you continue to hang around these people who clearly have no interest in you?

real friends > being alone > fake friends IMO
I don't know. I guess I just don't want to be sat on my own in college? Sometimes we have nice conversations, and walk home together a few times a week. But that's about it.

(Original post by jackbus)
I've experienced something like you have bounced between groups but never felt welcome in any or was in groups but always on the edge. Its hard,my way out was through the internet I met some guys who I really got along with which just helped me get through A-levels, which I think are just so hard and stressful anyway. Once I got to uni met a few guys, we are close mates and its so much better now.

Now I call people out on their actions like if you agree on something and people don't come or just ghost. Its cut out fake people so now I've got people I trust around me.
I'm glad you're feeling better and cut out the fake people.
I'm not a very confrontational person, and we have virtually every class together so it would be awkward. But idk, maybe that would feel better than knowing no one wants to hang out with me outside college.

(Original post by Purple Apple)
I know exactly how you feel. I'm never invited to things either, and I a lot of the time I feel like people only speak to me because they feel sorry for me. I'm forgotten about a lot; I'm always the afterthought of my friends. It's only when I don't sit with them that they're like "Oh, where is she?". So yeah, you're not alone.
I'm sorry you're experiencing the same kind of thing. It sucks. I don't know if people do it because they don't know how bad it feels, or if they do know but just don't care.
lilTrain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I feel u fam. Ever since a few years ago my friends drifted away but somehow i still talked to them? But then i always see them at school in this huge group and despite us being best friends ages ago they never include me in anything. I always hear about them all going on holiday together, swimming, paintballing, cinema, theme parks... then when i try invite them for cinema or something they chat to each other on their phones, like brah. And too bad i cant get rid of them any time soon because one of them has the same birthday as my sister and im forced to invite them along and pay extra for those ungrateful shites...
Honestly id say just let those fake friends go and get some new ones. I know its easier said than done but ur time will come, trust me man.
Some people can just be jerks without realizing, maybe thats what it is.
So yh hope that was any consolation
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't know. I guess I just don't want to be sat on my own in college? Sometimes we have nice conversations, and walk home together a few times a week. But that's about it.
well you'll have to sit on your own for a bit but you'll feel more inclined to meet new people if you're on your own and not around fake friends.

from reading this thread, it makes me think that the costs (being left out most of the time) outweigh the benefits (occasional good conversation)
Last edited by ltsmith; 1 week ago
TheObserver2607
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Damn, that was a tough read. I understand what you mean. I may have had many "friendships" over the years but I was rarely involved in anything at all. I always felt like an outsider in these friend groups, like I never really belonged. Honestly, this feeling of having a best mate simply drift off sounds utterly terrible and while I've never really been in such a situation before, I can imagine what it must feel like. All I can say is that you shouldn't give up hope. I've made my two best friends only 3 years ago and we're now inseparable. Whatever we do, we do together, always. Before these two guys, I was in a desperate situation, trying to tackle schoolwork and a crippling feeling of loneliness at the same time. My point is that it ended, and that's why I think you should look towards the future, towards the friendships that you're going to have. I understand that you find it difficult to form friendships, but perhaps it'll be easier when you are surrounded by people that have the same interests as you? This is why, for example, university/college is a great place for forming lifelong friendships, simply because the people who do a certain subject have so much in common. Plus, most of them will probably have gone through similar stuff as you, what with loneliness and a feeling of rejection. I know that both of my good friends felt the exact same way before they met me.

Do you plan on going to university or college? If so, which subject are you interested in doing?
indigoblueee664
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Honestly from year 7-year 11 ( especially year 11) I struggled with being left out so much I made the mistake of just going back to my so called 'best friends' and continuously being mugged off/ left out. I don't think people realise how hurtful it is to be left out because in the moment you really bring it on yourself and allow it to effect your self worth. I really thought it was something to do with me and that I was just a boring / unpleasant person to be around. Some point in year 11 I really stood up for myself and addressed to my 'friends' how they've really been leaving me out and how s**t they treated me...long story short those 'best friends' you're describing are clearly not your friends.I really think you should stand your ground and put yourself first. Also its important to remember, just because you've been friends with someone for a long time doesn't mean they're any more of a friend than someone who you've known for less time but shows those qualities. My advice/ what I would do if I were you would be to distance yourself from your 'friends' and see if they make genuine effort. If it means you're sat by yourself at lunch etc-trust me you'd rather this than be spending your time with a bunch of fake people. Also, be more open to being friends with new people. Even if you're shy just smile and say hi to people from your lessons etc. Ithought I'd be lonely forever ahah and was lucky to come across a bunch of people who I've only known for 2 years but have made such a big impact on my life-and are better friends than those I went to school with/known for longer. Not to sound harsh but pls pls do yourself a favour and cut out these people from your life, you might not want to hear it but you're way too good for these people!!!!
jackbus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm glad you're feeling better and cut out the fake people.
I'm not a very confrontational person, and we have virtually every class together so it would be awkward. But idk, maybe that would feel better than knowing no one wants to hang out with me outside college.
Yeah I'm not a person that likes confrontation either I don't think anybody does. But its better to get negative people out of your life than be hindered than them. I went through a really rough time in year 7 - 9 where I basically had nobody. I then did some activities outside of school and got somewhat close with people who I still would never hang out with in school but outside of school at the weekends every other week it was totally different and I was the one leading all of these guys too cool to hang out with me but we all respected each other, that time in my life has some of the best and worst moments but I wouldn't change any of it.
pon1de2replay3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hey im really sorry to hear this. i know its probably not want you want to hear, but these people sound like really **** friends. its not fair that they put so little effort in when u obviously care a lot and are trying your best to make things work. my advice is, as hard as it may be, to distance yourself from them and try to make new friends, which i understand is hard but might be the best decision u make. also youll be 18 soon so u can go out and meet new people in clubs and on nights out. and dont forget, sixth form isnt forever and within less than a year u can leave and move onto your next bit of life - uni or apprenticeship or work or whatever and there youll meet so many new, hopefully nicer people. good luck and im always up for a chat about anything (im a similar age and i really do get it)
also, id say getting a part job now is another really good way of meeting new more mature people
thoughtcriminal
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilTrain)
I feel u fam. Ever since a few years ago my friends drifted away but somehow i still talked to them? But then i always see them at school in this huge group and despite us being best friends ages ago they never include me in anything. I always hear about them all going on holiday together, swimming, paintballing, cinema, theme parks... then when i try invite them for cinema or something they chat to each other on their phones, like brah. And too bad i cant get rid of them any time soon because one of them has the same birthday as my sister and im forced to invite them along and pay extra for those ungrateful shites...
Honestly id say just let those fake friends go and get some new ones. I know its easier said than done but ur time will come, trust me man.
Some people can just be jerks without realizing, maybe thats what it is.
So yh hope that was any consolation
Damn I'm sorry about those people treating you like crap. It's pretty sad to see so many people saying their friends treat them like crap.

(Original post by ltsmith)
well you'll have to sit on your own for a bit but you'll feel more inclined to meet new people if you're on your own and not around fake friends.

from reading this thread, it makes me think that the costs (being left out most of the time) outweigh the benefits (occasional good conversation)
Yeah, I guess. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

(Original post by TheObserver2607)
Damn, that was a tough read. I understand what you mean. I may have had many "friendships" over the years but I was rarely involved in anything at all. I always felt like an outsider in these friend groups, like I never really belonged. Honestly, this feeling of having a best mate simply drift off sounds utterly terrible and while I've never really been in such a situation before, I can imagine what it must feel like. All I can say is that you shouldn't give up hope. I've made my two best friends only 3 years ago and we're now inseparable. Whatever we do, we do together, always. Before these two guys, I was in a desperate situation, trying to tackle schoolwork and a crippling feeling of loneliness at the same time. My point is that it ended, and that's why I think you should look towards the future, towards the friendships that you're going to have. I understand that you find it difficult to form friendships, but perhaps it'll be easier when you are surrounded by people that have the same interests as you? This is why, for example, university/college is a great place for forming lifelong friendships, simply because the people who do a certain subject have so much in common. Plus, most of them will probably have gone through similar stuff as you, what with loneliness and a feeling of rejection. I know that both of my good friends felt the exact same way before they met me.

Do you plan on going to university or college? If so, which subject are you interested in doing?
Hey man, thanks for the advice and sorry about your experiences.
I plan to take a year out after sixth form, then go to uni. Not entirely sure what I want to study yet - maybe biology, or chemistry, something like that.

(Original post by indigoblueee664)
Honestly from year 7-year 11 ( especially year 11) I struggled with being left out so much I made the mistake of just going back to my so called 'best friends' and continuously being mugged off/ left out. I don't think people realise how hurtful it is to be left out because in the moment you really bring it on yourself and allow it to effect your self worth. I really thought it was something to do with me and that I was just a boring / unpleasant person to be around. Some point in year 11 I really stood up for myself and addressed to my 'friends' how they've really been leaving me out and how s**t they treated me...long story short those 'best friends' you're describing are clearly not your friends.I really think you should stand your ground and put yourself first. Also its important to remember, just because you've been friends with someone for a long time doesn't mean they're any more of a friend than someone who you've known for less time but shows those qualities. My advice/ what I would do if I were you would be to distance yourself from your 'friends' and see if they make genuine effort. If it means you're sat by yourself at lunch etc-trust me you'd rather this than be spending your time with a bunch of fake people. Also, be more open to being friends with new people. Even if you're shy just smile and say hi to people from your lessons etc. Ithought I'd be lonely forever ahah and was lucky to come across a bunch of people who I've only known for 2 years but have made such a big impact on my life-and are better friends than those I went to school with/known for longer. Not to sound harsh but pls pls do yourself a favour and cut out these people from your life, you might not want to hear it but you're way too good for these people!!!!
Thanks for replying. Good to hear you found your "people". And yeah, I guess I should distance myself, would probably be for the best.

(Original post by jackbus)
Yeah I'm not a person that likes confrontation either I don't think anybody does. But its better to get negative people out of your life than be hindered than them. I went through a really rough time in year 7 - 9 where I basically had nobody. I then did some activities outside of school and got somewhat close with people who I still would never hang out with in school but outside of school at the weekends every other week it was totally different and I was the one leading all of these guys too cool to hang out with me but we all respected each other, that time in my life has some of the best and worst moments but I wouldn't change any of it.
Thanks man, appreciate your advice and sharing your experiences.

(Original post by pon1de2replay3)
hey im really sorry to hear this. i know its probably not want you want to hear, but these people sound like really **** friends. its not fair that they put so little effort in when u obviously care a lot and are trying your best to make things work. my advice is, as hard as it may be, to distance yourself from them and try to make new friends, which i understand is hard but might be the best decision u make. also youll be 18 soon so u can go out and meet new people in clubs and on nights out. and dont forget, sixth form isnt forever and within less than a year u can leave and move onto your next bit of life - uni or apprenticeship or work or whatever and there youll meet so many new, hopefully nicer people. good luck and im always up for a chat about anything (im a similar age and i really do get it)
also, id say getting a part job now is another really good way of meeting new more mature people
Cheers for replying. Yeah, I should probably take everyones advice and find new people.
Yeah, currently trying to find a PT job - not going too well at the moment haha.
Freya8127
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You’re really brave to talk about this and like other people have said these are not friends and you deserve so much better. This is your chance to push yourself and try and find some new mates - are you in the same classes as them? If not try and talk to new people in my experience making friends or even acquaintances is pretty easy if you just ask them about themselves because people like to talk about that lol - even talking to new people will give you a confidence boost. You really need to leave these friends just be brave and try and befriend someone new like offer them some food as a starting conversation to sit with at lunch you get me? Leave them!!!!
JonkMoon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That sounds rough man, and like people said, it's brave of you to say this, a lot of people experience it but keep it inside. But the thing is, unless your friends are really close to you, or if someone has some sympathy, they won't tell the real reason that causes them to do this. You said you've had few friendships and so you put your all into them, maybe people can see this and it may come of as you being a bit too attached to the relationship, or caring too much about what others think . A lot of the behaviour they do is quite mean, but also disrespectful. What are your interactions usually like before you invite them out, are they responding to what you're saying, and do you also stand up for yourself when people do things to you ? The issue is you'll meet quite a few people like this when you start working and just life in general, and you need to learn how to deal with them, try this (https://www.positivityblog.com/how-t...social-skills/). What you're experiencing is also usually a pattern that happens in groups, a person gets left out/they aren't spoken too, I'm not saying this is the exact issue, but it's usually because they are not valued as much as they would like to be due to them being obnoxious, awkward or just not joining in the banter. What are they interested in ? What do you friends usually talk about ? What do they value ?

You also said you enjoy playing guitar, sports and science. Have you tried developing those things a bit more ? e.g going to matches, playing the sport on a team for the weekend, taking online courses in science(places like edx/futurelearn are good) or going to science talks offered at your local uni ? not only will you meet people there but you will have stories to share, which is something that you can use to bond with people, all of these things can help you have something to talk about and become more interesting. It's ironic, people seem to value others a lot when they have other things going on in their lives, beyond the relationship.
Last edited by JonkMoon; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (217)
22.77%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.91%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.26%
It was TERRIBLE (134)
14.06%

Watched Threads