• Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Rudo18xx)
Are we all ready for Wednesday paper 1

I’m really scareddddd!!
I'm on AQA for sociology. btw this thread is in the wrong place.
Rudo18xx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Lol is it ? Yeah same I’m on AQA
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Lol is it ? Yeah same I’m on AQA
Anything you want to ask for Paper 1?
Rudo18xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Anything you want to ask for Paper 1?
Atm I’m trying to go through research methods I really don’t get longitudinal studies lol
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Atm I’m trying to go through research methods I really don’t get longitudinal studies lol
Intro: Longitudinal studies are studies carried out over a long period of time and it can collate both quantitative (positivists) and qualitative data (interpretivists).

Pros:
+ It's not a snapshot -> shows changes in attitudes/behaviours over time -> increase validity of results
+ Researchers get to know the respondents well as they're able to build a strong rapport and valid data -> people more likely to trust someone they know.

Cons:
- Time consuming and demanding for researcher and participants - my affect results
- Sample attrition - people drop out over time -> decrease representative

Btw I doubt this would come up but if it does, make sure you give a brief intro about what the RM is and explain whether it's preferred by positivists or interpretivists and why. Then look at the pros and cons of the RM when applied to a specific context in education - if there's few pros, move to the cons and in your conclusion, suggest a RM that may be better suited and briefly explain why. For a theories and methods question, it's similar but usually more broad, i.e. sociological research and you can apply it to different context, i.e. education or media (I don't do this).
Rudo18xx
Rep:
?
Intro: Longitudinal studies are studies carried out over a long period of time and it can collate both quantitative (positivists) and qualitative data (interpretivists).

Pros:
+ It's not a snapshot -> shows changes in attitudes/behaviours over time -> increase validity of results
+ Researchers get to know the respondents well as they're able to build a strong rapport and valid data -> people more likely to trust someone they know.

Cons:
- Time consuming and demanding for researcher and participants - my affect results
- Sample attrition - people drop out over time -> decrease representative

Btw I doubt this would come up but if it does, make sure you give a brief intro about what the RM is and explain whether it's preferred by positivists or interpretivists and why. Then look at the pros and cons of the RM when applied to a specific context in education - if there's few pros, move to the cons and in your conclusion, suggest a RM that may be better suited and briefly explain why. For a theories and methods question, it's similar but usually more broad, i.e. sociological research and you can apply it to different context, i.e. education or media (I don't do this).
That’s great thanks. I do education for p1
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
x
Another thing for methods in context and theories in methods in general ... Be careful with structural interviews - loads of students get confused and say it's preferred by interpretivists. It's NOT! A structured interview is similar to a standardise questionnaire, i.e. the questions are pre-set but the interviewer asks the interviewee the question and they can collate quantiative data. Hence why it's preferred by positivists.
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
That’s great thanks. I do education for p1
Paper 1 is Education and Theories and Methods only ... you only get a choice for Paper 2 afaik.
Rudo18xx
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Paper 1 is Education and Theories and Methods only ... you only get a choice for Paper 2 afaik.
Yeah but we get research methods as well 😭
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Yeah but we get research methods as well 😭
Methods in Context you mean. That's the 20 marker iirc and theories is a 10 marker.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (90)
16.13%
The paper was reasonable (272)
48.75%
Not feeling great about that exam... (132)
23.66%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
11.47%

Watched Threads