Alcohol anxiety Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Why do I feel SO anxious about drinking alcohol? All of my friends get so excited to go out but I feel nothing but nervous to the point I barely drink anything and feel sick, or I just don’t go out! I’m going to be going to uni soon so I need to get over this, but how? Has anyone felt like this in the past and got over it?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
Feeling anxious is perfectly normal, especially if you don't want to drink.

Please don't feel pressured into drinking, it's not for everyone. If you honestly feel like you aren't up for it, even at university, you're not alone (there are plenty of people who don't drink at uni too).
Mzhax
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Why do I feel SO anxious about drinking alcohol? All of my friends get so excited to go out but I feel nothing but nervous to the point I barely drink anything and feel sick, or I just don’t go out! I’m going to be going to uni soon so I need to get over this, but how? Has anyone felt like this in the past and got over it?
If you are emotionally and physically rejecting it, dont be bothered by it its normal to not have to want to drink, theres no rush dont feel peer pressured things will happen in its own time and for the best
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
A lot of people at uni don’t drink at all, so if you don’t want to then don’t!

But it might be worth exploring what you’re so worried about? There must be a reason you’ve developed these feelings; have you had a bad experience in the past? (Don’t necessarily need to mention it here if you don’t want to, you just need to come to terms with it).
LouisSuave
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Anyone can have fun without alcohol, don’t be pressuring yourself to something you don’t want to do , just go out there and have fun without alcohol trust me it’s possible
MidgetFever
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
There's plenty of things/groups you can join without having to drink alcohol. If you're not comfortable with it then don't force yourself to.
MinaBee
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You don't have to drink it if you don't want to. Please don't force yourself because you feel like you have to .
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LouisSuave)
Anyone can have fun without alcohol, don’t be pressuring yourself to something you don’t want to do , just go out there and have fun without alcohol trust me it’s possible
Yeah I know that’s so true, I’m a naturally really hyper and happy person so I don’t even need to drink but i just feel like the odd one out if I don’t. When I go and see my aunties and uncles etc they always try and almost pressure me into drinking which I always turn down and have to make up some excuse of being ill! It annoys me as I want to have fun with my friends but even when I just have one drink my anxiety becomes sky high that I start sweating and feel extremely sick. It makes me not want to go out because of the social norms of almost forcing people to drink! Thankyou for the advice
Anonymous #1
(Original post by carrotstar)
A lot of people at uni don’t drink at all, so if you don’t want to then don’t!

But it might be worth exploring what you’re so worried about? There must be a reason you’ve developed these feelings; have you had a bad experience in the past? (Don’t necessarily need to mention it here if you don’t want to, you just need to come to terms with it).
Yeah it’s because I’ve seen my older sibling come home in very bad states and my parents get very upset and dissapointed and the thought of dissapointing them just puts me off ever getting into that state :/
Cement Addiction
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Drinking in moderation isn't bad at all, and if you take it slow you won't be in a state in saying that however, it's actually pretty healthy for you to not drink and you can make a lot better friendships that way too I've found. At uni I drank way too much, decided to not drink at all for a while and the sober months were some of the best I ever had in first year... You really don't have to drink!
carrotstar
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Yeah it’s because I’ve seen my older sibling come home in very bad states and my parents get very upset and dissapointed and the thought of dissapointing them just puts me off ever getting into that state :/
That happens if you drink too much, so just count your drinks and have a few. Have a glass of water or just coke/lemonade between each drink so it looks like you’re keeping up and your friends will never know! Also drinking really dehydrates you so that will reduce the hangover.

I’m only 22, having been really drunk only twice in my life, and I don’t drink a lot now because of how it makes me feel the next day. I know my limit and just have a few cocktails to enjoy them rather than drinking to get drunk.

Also a good trick is to stick to 4% beer/cider because the larger amount but lower concentration means you’ll take longer to consume the same amount of alcohol as you might if you had mixers or something stronger instead. Do some research and know the strength of different alcohols so you can choose a cocktail with a lower percentage. For example, avoid rum, vodka, tequila, Triple sec, Brandy, sambuca, whisky and gin. These will all be about 40% volume. You can instead choose liqueurs like Kahlua, créme liqueurs, Passoa, amaretto, and schnapps like Archer’s as these will be about half the strength. Definitely avoid absinthe as this can be up to 90%!

And also don’t feel you have to do shots. I don’t think it’s possible to enjoy shots! People just do them to get drunk.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by carrotstar)
That happens if you drink too much, so just count your drinks and have a few. Have a glass of water or just coke/lemonade between each drink so it looks like you’re keeping up and your friends will never know! Also drinking really dehydrates you so that will reduce the hangover.

I’m only 22, having been really drunk only twice in my life, and I don’t drink a lot now because of how it makes me feel the next day. I know my limit and just have a few cocktails to enjoy them rather than drinking to get drunk.

Also a good trick is to stick to 4% beer/cider because the larger amount but lower concentration means you’ll take longer to consume the same amount of alcohol as you might if you had mixers or something stronger instead. Do some research and know the strength of different alcohols so you can choose a cocktail with a lower percentage. For example, avoid rum, vodka, tequila, Triple sec, Brandy, sambuca, whisky and gin. These will all be about 40% volume. You can instead choose liqueurs like Kahlua, créme liqueurs, Passoa, amaretto, and schnapps like Archer’s as these will be about half the strength. Definitely avoid absinthe as this can be up to 90%!

And also don’t feel you have to do shots. I don’t think it’s possible to enjoy shots! People just do them to get drunk.
This has really helped me, Thankyou so so much! I guess just time will help me stop feeling so anxious about it, but I will take your advice and stick to cider.
sonu2003
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Dude, U should try to find the reason why it makes u anxious like what are u worried abt happening if u drink?,
Yeah I know that’s so true, I’m a naturally really hyper and happy person so I don’t even need to drink but i just feel like the odd one out if I don’t. When I go and see my aunties and uncles etc they always try and almost pressure me into drinking which I always turn down and have to make up some excuse of being ill! It annoys me as I want to have fun with my friends but even when I just have one drink my anxiety becomes sky high that I start sweating and feel extremely sick. It makes me not want to go out because of the social norms of almost forcing people to drink! Thankyou for the advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (519)
26.23%
The paper was reasonable (863)
43.61%
Not feeling great about that exam (388)
19.61%
It was TERRIBLE (209)
10.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed