The Student Room Group

Queen’s university medicine conditional offer

Hi,
I got an offer for medicine after interviews at QUB. I’m sitting the Irish leaving cert and my conditional offer entails
Biology: H1 (90-100%)
Chem: H1
2 other H1’s
2 H2’s (80-89%)
Maths: O3 (70-79%)

Why are the requirements for the Irish leaving cert so high in comparison to A levels where one only needs A*AA?

If I missed one grade, would it still be possible to get my offer?
Original post by Judy ugwuja
Hi,
I got an offer for medicine after interviews at QUB. I’m sitting the Irish leaving cert and my conditional offer entails
Biology: H1 (90-100%)
Chem: H1
2 other H1’s
2 H2’s (80-89%)
Maths: O3 (70-79%)

Why are the requirements for the Irish leaving cert so high in comparison to A levels where one only needs A*AA?

If I missed one grade, would it still be possible to get my offer?

Presumably they think that getting the top grades in A-level are harder than in the leaving cert? Is the irish leaving cert graded against a normal distribution curve?

Med schools aren't known for letting people in who miss their offers, but some were more lax last year than they've been in the past.

I'd focus on getting the best grades you can, to give yourself the best chance of meeting your offer.
Yes, the Irish lc does follow a bell curve distribution and the higher level courses are fairly difficult. We also have to do more subjects which means we aren’t study specific subjects at home like the 3 or 4 in A levels.

I guess every system is different. With other uk universities with A*AA requirements, the lc equivalent is always 2 H1’s and 4 H2’s

Queen’s gave me my offer, even though I wasn’t predicted a H1 in chemistry as with their requirements.

You’re right, I need to just focus for now and hope for the best. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest