Doctor told me not to lose weight Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I went to the doctor the other day for a check-up and it came up that I was trying to lose some weight. My bmi is about 26, I'm 5'5 and 72kg, so I'm not a skinny mini but I get that I may not look overweight either. Anyway, he told me that I don't need to lose weight and asked if I've ever had a history with eating disorders.

I think it's pretty understandable that I would want to lose some weight, no?
Seni007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Maybe what you want is not to lose weight but to get fit!
With this I mean that what you may be looking for is to get toned, this way you are not really losing so much weight as you are gaining muscle. Work the areas you want to make stand out or stiffen.
But if what you want is really to lose weight, go ahead as long as you don’t go to extremes. Have a calorie deficiency in your diet and have it balanced low in fats avoid saturated and lots of veggies!!! Have some lean protein too
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
The thing is my stomach sticks out a little and when I sit my fat rolls are pretty prominent so I don't see how crunches are going to change that. Wouldn't I need to lose fat to get a flat, toned stomach?
(Original post by Seni007)
Maybe what you want is not to lose weight but to get fit!
With this I mean that what you may be looking for is to get toned, this way you are not really losing so much weight as you are gaining muscle. Work the areas you want to make stand out or stiffen.
But if what you want is really to lose weight, go ahead as long as you don’t go to extremes. Have a calorie deficiency in your diet and have it balanced low in fats avoid saturated and lots of veggies!!! Have some lean protein too
Seni007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The thing is my stomach sticks out a little and when I sit my fat rolls are pretty prominent so I don't see how crunches are going to change that. Wouldn't I need to lose fat to get a flat, toned stomach?
To lose fat does not mean necessarily to lose weight, but it’s good to train your muscle even if you have fat, because it’s easier to build the muscle when you have excess fat.
To lose fat I recommend lots of cardio and good diet! I will repeat myself, balanced diet is very important for healthy and beautiful body
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Toning your stomach (with exercises like crunches) will change how it looks and make it look flatter and more fit. What you're doing is using the muscles in that one area. When you do that your body works out that the extra bits of fat there would be more useful as muscle so you get some more toned and fit looking bulk there instead of the more squishy stuff. To do that you still need to be giving your body enough food and water to turn into muscle. If you don't do that you're just going to turn into a skeleton with skin.

If you just try to loose weight you may well also find that you get bony spider limbs before your tummy changes. By doing toning exercises you are more in control of what parts of you look fitter without so much risk of being too skinny, malnourished etc.
If you try to loose weight beyond a certain point you deprive your body of important resources which can harm your bones, organs, brain function and all sorts. Some level of fat is necessary and healthy.
Everybody has a little bit of a bulge in their tummy- it's just how they are. If you're getting rolls when you sit it's quite possible that you have a poor posture which is folding your flesh and (necesarry and healthy) fat. Try to make sure you have your back straight and shoulders back. It will stop you slouching and folding your tummy more and it's also good for your spine.

At the end of the day your doctor is the one who's spent years learning about what's healthy. If they are saying you shouldn't loose weight then it would be wise to listen to them and to try to get a more attractive tummy other ways.
Last edited by Kindred; 4 months ago
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I think you should request a 2nd opinion from a different doctor, a bmi range of 18-25 is considered healthy, you are just over that and I find it strange that your doctor would tell you what he/she did. However I am aware that you may have some circumstances that your doctor may be aware of and I am not, you don;t state your gender nor age for example.
Personally I would say that people should aim for the middle of that range and try to get a bmi score of around 21-22, however take that with a pinch of salt as in some circumstances ie someone with a lot of muscle weight could have a much higher bmi and still be very healthy as muscles mass misconstrues the bmi reading quite some.
dddd1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
How old are you OP? I would recommendlifting weights and do HIIT training that will get you fit and loose that bodyfat
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I went to the doctor the other day for a check-up and it came up that I was trying to lose some weight. My bmi is about 26, I'm 5'5 and 72kg, so I'm not a skinny mini but I get that I may not look overweight either. Anyway, he told me that I don't need to lose weight and asked if I've ever had a history with eating disorders.

I think it's pretty understandable that I would want to lose some weight, no?
They prob were concerned that you would harm yourself in the process of trying to lose weight, hence the question about eating disorders.

From your post, I guess that you are female. Eating disorders and many weight issues appear to be more prevalent amongst women.

I think you should focus on your fitness rather than weight, as it been suggested. Join the gym or start doing physical activities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (173)
27.2%
Not great so far... (227)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.34%

Watched Threads