I want a refund for NCS

Watch
littlecarbohi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I realised how stupid I was to actually pay for NCS without doing any further research. I initially wanted to participate as some of the activities seemed fun w/ only my current friends and I thought it would look good on job & uni applications. However, I only realised that this wasn't as true after asking irl friends and online who have done NCS. There were some good reviews but the majority of them were negative. Apparently, the activities that I considered as 'fun' weren't even done by people (false advertising) and how NCS itself doesn't help that much with applications.

In addition, I am an introvert and I was so stupid to the point that I didn't consider how I'd deal with other people as being with other people for a long period of time (living with strangers) is mentally exhausting for me from past experiences. To make this matter worse, it seems that a lot of people from NCS went with friends whereas I didn't (which makes it harder for me to approach others for me - very intimidating) since my friends that I signed up with ended up at different dates. In addition, I wasn't able to go to the 'warm up' sessions to get to know people earlier to make it less nerve-wracking for me because the time for me to get there would be too long, so I would be back during night alone which my parents view as unsafe.

On the NCS website, it states:
"As standard, if you withdraw your NCS application within 14 days of making your payment, you will be eligible for a full refund.
However, exceptions can be made, depending on your circumstance. This is decided on a case-by-case basis, and is usually due to a young person no longer being able to attend due to factors out of their control."

Long story short, I would like to get a refund but it doesn't seem possible unless there's a reasonable excuse. Any suggestions for excuses?
lilTrain
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wtf im thinking the exact same thing. I booked it months ago because my friends are forcing me to but we dont even get on well and i HATE camping. Maybe u could make something up and say u have a hospital appointment on that day or something? Or a funeral? Operation? Attending a wedding? Something really deep? They have no reason to stop u then. Im legit gonna try that.
Ive wasted £35 on this NCS crap and too bad it seems you cant get a refund...
Oh well even if u cant get ur money back they cant force u to go..
littlecarbohi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by lilTrain)
Wtf im thinking the exact same thing. I booked it months ago because my friends are forcing me to but we dont even get on well and i HATE camping. Maybe u could make something up and say u have a hospital appointment on that day or something? Or a funeral? Operation? Attending a wedding? Something really deep? They have no reason to stop u then. Im legit gonna try that.
Ive wasted £35 on this NCS crap and too bad it seems you cant get a refund...
Oh well even if u cant get ur money back they cant force u to go..
Oml same - my friends also influenced me and I've always been an indoor person. Plus, the excuses you've just mentioned require some proof though? I will try that though - thanks.
Unfortunately, my parents paid for it so it basically means that I HAVE to go since it'd be a waste of their money and I'd feel terrible :'(.
lilTrain
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Innit! My parents even booked a holiday for themselves during that week so theyre saying i HAVE to go, but if i dont then i have to go on holiday with them to the most boring place on earth.
Also reminds me when i was 10 i was camping with the scouts but then i realised i hated camping so much so i pretended to have hayfever and an asthma attack so they could send me home lol then 15 quid wasted and got shouted at... im more of an indoors person too :rolleyes:
Maybe if this really wasted their money then say u can make up for it, with chores or something so theyre not mad at u?
(Original post by littlecarbohi)
Oml same - my friends also influenced me and I've always been an indoor person. Plus, the excuses you've just mentioned require some proof though? I will try that though - thanks.
Unfortunately, my parents paid for it so it basically means that I HAVE to go since it'd be a waste of their money and I'd feel terrible :'(.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.38%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.89%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.23%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.34%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.37%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise