The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A2, how are you getting on?

There's a thread for Edexcel, so I thought I'll start a thread for OCR.
I am stressing out! The unifying concepts paper is making me tear my hair out. You think you know the content then when you do the exam papers, you flop, basically. Not looking good. My extra module is mammalian physiology and behaviour. This is hard aswell, too much detail that you have to know.
How is your revision going? ow are you revising for the unifying concepts paper?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ive not even started revising yet arrghhh!
i did mammalian physiology in jan... and did terribly. so i'm resiting it as environmental biology.

i've not a CLUE whats even on unifying concepts my teachers not even been over it?! idiot.
so ive got central concepts as well.
!
i've got an AS resit tomorrow, for foundation.. third time lucky! hahaha.
then i'll start major cramming for central/unifying concepts. erggghhhhhhhh
Reply 2
I revised Central concepts :biggrin: The actual concepts are pretty simple, but the questions can be 'tricky'. Been scoring solid B grades in past papers, so thats ok for now.

Unifying is really just common sense, it's not as bad as people make out to be. Just download the specification, and read through the content needed. Highlight key points, and read the question's carefully in the exam.

Haven't started revision for Mammalian physiology of such, but im going by the fact I will only need 30% to get a B overall (If i get 70% in both CC+UC/CW), so it's ok to leave it to the night before :biggrin:
Reply 3
I have been doing completely rubbish on the unifying concepts too. I've found that I try and think of a complicated answer when I don't need to but thats just what I've been used to! I've been focusing on mammalian physiology and behaviour which I probs shouldn't be! Is unifying out of 120 and mam out of 90? Oh and the wikipedia has a good set of summary notes on the mammalian bit if you find it hard to make your own notes.
kitty123
I have been doing completely rubbish on the unifying concepts too. I've found that I try and think of a complicated answer when I don't need to but thats just what I've been used to! I've been focusing on mammalian physiology and behaviour which I probs shouldn't be! Is unifying out of 120 and mam out of 90? Oh and the wikipedia has a good set of summary notes on the mammalian bit if you find it hard to make your own notes.

I thought wikipedia is a encyclopaedia?? Haven't seen a wiki mammalian section? Do have a link ??

thank you
Reply 5
davidjones90
I thought wikipedia is a encyclopaedia?? Haven't seen a wiki mammalian section? Do have a link ??

thank you

thank-you for my rep on that other thread! :biggrin:
Alison267
thank-you for my rep on that other thread! :biggrin:

:wink: Anytime.
Reply 7
Aaaaaaaaargh not good I can't bring myself to revise anything at the moment :frown:

Central concepts should be ok once I've looked over a few more things, but I need to do tons more papers for Unifying and actually start revision for Apps of genetics. In other words I need to get off TSR and revise :p:
Reply 8
davidjones90

thank you

I was quite suprised when I found it too! Here it is
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Biology/Mammalian_Physiology_and_Behavior
Anyone else doing that crappy "microbiology and biotechnology' optional module?
Reply 10
ye im doing the microbiology module, i havent started revising it properly but god dam its boring lol. Is anybody doing central concepts it is so unbelievably hard lol its more like chemistry.
Yeh, and it doesn't help that the only source of information provided to us is illustrated in a black and white layout.

That really really sucks.
Reply 12
tell me about it, we havent even finished the course in our class so ye pretty much screwed lol
For unifying concepts, I know it is worth 120 marks... but how much is the plan/paper/practical each worth?

I resat my foundation biology today... think it went well, but not sure.

If I get an A in that paper, then I can afford a low B in UC i think... which is realistic.
Right... i've finished my biology resits. and i'm ready to start on A2's now.
i pretty much know NOTHING, as my teacher is awful. and just gave us at least 10 sheets of dodgy notes.
so any idea where i can start?!
tips or advice would be good!!
thankkksss :smile:
Alison267
Right... i've finished my biology resits. and i'm ready to start on A2's now.
i pretty much know NOTHING, as my teacher is awful. and just gave us at least 10 sheets of dodgy notes.
so any idea where i can start?!
tips or advice would be good!!
thankkksss :smile:

For your option, take notes from the textbook.
If your teacher did not give you one, buy one.

For unifying, read through bio 1 and 2, and write past papers to get a feel for them.
Reply 16
unifying concepts is sooo difficult :mad:
Reply 17
------Amy
unifying concepts is sooo difficult :mad:

Yea I know I have no idea where to start! How are you all revising?
Reply 18
stolenstars
For unifying concepts, I know it is worth 120 marks... but how much is the plan/paper/practical each worth?

I resat my foundation biology today... think it went well, but not sure.

If I get an A in that paper, then I can afford a low B in UC i think... which is realistic.

I don't think the exam alone is woth is 120 marks. Its out of 60 and then they also add your coursework marks to this (should be out of 60) then that gives you the 120. Is that what you meant? Can someone clarify this please. Btw, revision for biolgy equals 2 words STRESSED OUT!
Reply 19
kitty123
Yea I know I have no idea where to start! How are you all revising?

I would like to know this too. My teachers have not helped us at all, they just dumped papers on us and said do them. They should not be getting paid :mad:

Latest

Trending

Trending