Why does the fight or flight response use the endocrine system?

Watch
Grace0301
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone
I would ask my teacher this but they are not replying to my emails
I was wondering why the fight or flight response uses hormones if hormones are so much slower to take effect? In fact I suppose my question is how does adrenaline take effect so fast? Or perhaps I am mistaken. I understand that the combination of neural and endocrine activity amplifies the fight or flight response, but I don't really understand how that can be effective if hormones rely on the bloodstream which is a lot slower than neural pathways.

Thanks guys
bethwantsdeath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it uses the HPAC (hormone) pathway when the stressor is chronic and continuous, but the quicker SAM pathway for immediate action
Jpw1097
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Grace0301)
Hi everyone
I would ask my teacher this but they are not replying to my emails
I was wondering why the fight or flight response uses hormones if hormones are so much slower to take effect? In fact I suppose my question is how does adrenaline take effect so fast? Or perhaps I am mistaken. I understand that the combination of neural and endocrine activity amplifies the fight or flight response, but I don't really understand how that can be effective if hormones rely on the bloodstream which is a lot slower than neural pathways.

Thanks guys
The fight or flight response uses both a neural and an endocrine response. The increased sympathetic activity will increase heart rate and contractility, divert blood from GI tract to skeletal muscles, cause pupil dilation, etc. The increased sympathetic activity also causes the adrenal medulla to secrete more catecholamines (mainly adrenaline but also noradrenaline and dopamine) into the blood. The adrenal medulla is made of up chromaffin cells, which are essentially modified post-ganglionic neurones, which rather than synapsing with an effector, just spills the adrenaline/noradrenaline into the blood (rather than forming a neuromuscular junction).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (202)
43.72%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.58%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.21%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise