The Student Room Group

Failing a unit of BTEC Extended Diploma

I am currently doing a Level 3 BTEC ICT course and have completed and passed my subsidiary diploma. I'm quite certain that I'm going to fail one of the units which is Procedural Programming. I already know that if you fail a unit, you don't pass the Extended Diploma, do they just kick you off the course or do I still achieve something at the end of the second year?
Original post by lukerose2002
I am currently doing a Level 3 BTEC ICT course and have completed and passed my subsidiary diploma. I'm quite certain that I'm going to fail one of the units which is Procedural Programming. I already know that if you fail a unit, you don't pass the Extended Diploma, do they just kick you off the course or do I still achieve something at the end of the second year?

They allow you to resubmit I believe.

Havent I answered your post before.

It used to be you had to pass every uni but they changed the rules recently where you can carry a fail if you have to.
Ive looked this up before.. Had a look now cant find it. May look again, but the rules have definitely changed in your favour.
For the new NQF /RQF courses, you are allowed a resubmission if you met the initial deadline and if the assessor believes you can meet the criteria without extra guidance.
If you fail the second time, you are allowed ONE retake (with new questions) to Pass only.
If you fail the retake then, as the op stated, you cannot be awarded an Extended Diploma but you may be awarded a lower level Diploma. (2 A level equiv rather than 3).

If you are doing the old QCF course, the rules are slightly different in that if you fail the resubmission, there is no retake and you would fail the unit. Again, you could be awarded a lower level Diploma.

Original post by 999tigger
They allow you to resubmit I believe.

Havent I answered your post before.

It used to be you had to pass every uni but they changed the rules recently where you can carry a fail if you have to.
Ive looked this up before.. Had a look now cant find it. May look again, but the rules have definitely changed in your favour.
Thats the exact course i am planning to do at a-level
Original post by lukerose2002
Original post by bamtutor
For the new NQF /RQF courses, you are allowed a resubmission if you met the initial deadline and if the assessor believes you can meet the criteria without extra guidance.
If you fail the second time, you are allowed ONE retake (with new questions) to Pass only.
If you fail the retake then, as the op stated, you cannot be awarded an Extended Diploma but you may be awarded a lower level Diploma. (2 A level equiv rather than 3).

If you are doing the old QCF course, the rules are slightly different in that if you fail the resubmission, there is no retake and you would fail the unit. Again, you could be awarded a lower level Diploma.

I am almost sure I looked this up and posted the link for the rule change within the last month. I believe i found a link for it at the time, which is why this seemed familiar. I seem to recall that you can be awarded an extended diploma, which is what surprised me. I will have another look for the link.
Thats the Near Pass that was introduced for the external examined units. Previously you had to pass every unit, but Ofqual introduced exams to BTECs. As learners failed exams they would fail the whole course. They now brought in the Near Pass, which is awarded for an exam if you get half the points of a Pass grade. That way you still pass the course and can get an Extended Diploma.
This is not applicable to the internally assessed units or the old QCF course. details are at;
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/near-pass-grade.html

Original post by 999tigger
I am almost sure I looked this up and posted the link for the rule change within the last month. I believe i found a link for it at the time, which is why this seemed familiar. I seem to recall that you can be awarded an extended diploma, which is what surprised me. I will have another look for the link.
Original post by bamtutor

So I would still be kept on for the second year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending