Measuring the EMF of an electrochemical cell

Watch
1233_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Why is it necessary to degrease the metal electrode using some cotton wool and propanone before assembling the electrochemical cell?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it is usually due to the need to lower the contact resistance , possible a bit of oxidation, greasy fingers, bumpy surface etc

that's for the top bit that is connected to the circuit - and if you're talking about the immersed electrode - then same applies - needs to be clean to maximise surface area and have an unpolluted electrolyte

at CERN we used to often clean in beam tube electrical components with paper & alcohol, then cleaned them in an oven pyrolitically, then plasma cleaned, then pumped down to UHV whilst baking in-situ at around 400 celsius. All preparation for this was done with a desk covered with a fresh sheet of alcan/bacofoil, the cleanest thing around in many labs.

in fact, I'll go further, adding religion to particle physics , quoting the famous Austro/Swiss/US physicist, Wolfgang Pauli (nobel prize winner),

“God made the bulk; the surface was invented by the devil.”

Pauli explained that the 'evil' characteristic of surfaces was due to the fact that a solid surface shares its border with the external world, and all sorts of things are happening at the macro, micro, nano and femto scale on that border!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (10)
21.74%
I'm not sure (1)
2.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (13)
28.26%
I have already dropped out (2)
4.35%
I'm not a current university student (20)
43.48%

Watched Threads