University second year to third year Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I was reading a thread and how a person said you went from a low 2.2 to a high 2.1. Do you think it will be possible for me to go from a third to a high 2.1 or even with an extreme amount of dedication a 1st. And how hard do you think it will be for me to do so.

Also, in order for me to go from a third to a 1st, how hard would that difficulty be if I followed a vast amount of online tips

The course is weighted 40% in second year and 60% in third year.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was reading a thread and how a person said you went from a low 2.2 to a high 2.1. Do you think it will be possible for me to go from a third to a high 2.1 or even with an extreme amount of dedication a 1st. And how hard do you think it will be for me to do so.

Also, in order for me to go from a third to a 1st, how hard would that difficulty be if I followed a vast amount of online tips

You haven't given us enough information to answer you properly. What course are you doing? How are your marks at the moment?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
You haven't given us enough information to answer you properly. What course are you doing? How are your marks at the moment?
Course Accounting and finance Marks/Grade- low 2.2/high third
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Course Accounting and finance Marks/Grade- low 2.2/high third
Whether you can get your marks up to a 2:1 or even a first, you need to identify the reasons for your marks being low so far. If the issues are simply not applying yourself or procrastinating too much, then you can work on that. If it's a medical condition or similar, then you should be claiming extenuating circumstances and getting help via the university/GP.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Mathematically, yes it is possible to go from a Third up to a First.

A Third is typically a mark in the 40-49% range. If your second year is worth 40%, that equates to an overall percentage of 16-19.6%. We'll just say 18% as an average (high Third). To get a First, you typically need 70% and already have ~18%, which leaves ~52% left to get. You third year is worth 60%, so you're looking for 52/60 which equates to roughly 87%. Depending on your exact numbers, there's going to be a bit of variation there but you're probably looking at marks in 85%+ region to scrape a First. If you aim for a 2:1 instead, that drops down to 42/60, or around 70% to scrape a 2:1. So absolutely, it is mathematically possible but we're talking near perfect performance to scrape the grade boundaries.

Realistically speaking, it's simply unlikely. As above, you need an exceptionally strong performance to make up for the mark deficit. If you're aiming for a First, you may need to do near perfect on everything. One weak mark and a First may become impossible. But more than that, there's a reason you've been getting a Third and simply following online tips may not be sufficient to resolve whatever problems you're having. We can't really comment on the difficulty of things based on what little information we have. And simply put, people don't just suddenly go from low marks to high marks I'm afraid. That's not to say it can't be done, but it's not unreasonable to assume if you were capable as is then you would have already been getting those higher marks. The difficulty is going to depend entirely on why you've not been doing so well.
Anonymous #1
What about going from a third to a 2.1, what is the likely opportunity of that happening?
(Original post by Acsel)
Mathematically, yes it is possible to go from a Third up to a First.

A Third is typically a mark in the 40-49% range. If your second year is worth 40%, that equates to an overall percentage of 16-19.6%. We'll just say 18% as an average (high Third). To get a First, you typically need 70% and already have ~18%, which leaves ~52% left to get. You third year is worth 60%, so you're looking for 52/60 which equates to roughly 87%. Depending on your exact numbers, there's going to be a bit of variation there but you're probably looking at marks in 85%+ region to scrape a First. If you aim for a 2:1 instead, that drops down to 42/60, or around 70% to scrape a 2:1. So absolutely, it is mathematically possible but we're talking near perfect performance to scrape the grade boundaries.

Realistically speaking, it's simply unlikely. As above, you need an exceptionally strong performance to make up for the mark deficit. If you're aiming for a First, you may need to do near perfect on everything. One weak mark and a First may become impossible. But more than that, there's a reason you've been getting a Third and simply following online tips may not be sufficient to resolve whatever problems you're having. We can't really comment on the difficulty of things based on what little information we have. And simply put, people don't just suddenly go from low marks to high marks I'm afraid. That's not to say it can't be done, but it's not unreasonable to assume if you were capable as is then you would have already been getting those higher marks. The difficulty is going to depend entirely on why you've not been doing so well.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What about going from a third to a 2.1, what is the likely opportunity of that happening?
I address this in my post. Aiming for a 2:1 is probably going to require somewhere in the region of 70% and upwards across your final year (42+/60). But likelihood depends on a number of factors, such as why you've not been achieving these marks already and whether you are capable of getting there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%