The Student Room Group

Help which Uni ahhhh

so I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and Literature at A-Level and am predicted As but I have absolutely no clue about what I want to do?! I'm pretty set on doing somethings science-based but that could change as I'm super indecisive. I'm looking into and am interested (I think) in Biomedicine and Forensic Sciences, but I have no clue which Uni to apply for as although most have a description of the course, I'm either not completely enthusiastic about it or my Mum says it's not a good idea as the Uni isn't prestigious enough (she wants me to go into Lit and I feel like she's against me doing Forensics) so I basically need help from anyone who has gone through something similar or was also not sure about what course to do at Uni even if it's a completely different subject... Thanks to anyone who has bothered to read this!!
So , if you're in UK, there's nothing wrong - even this early - with visiting your local university open day, even unregistered, just walk round for a few hours. take a parent for taxi-ing, and for advice - just (after you get there) remind them that it will eventually be YOUR choice(*), tho' promise that you'll listen politely to any of their suggestions

Make sure you visit the "Lit" stands, where you can chat for a bit and pick up cool gifts, check out Psychology too - halfway house between science & philosophy. make sure you talk to the scientists on their stands, and in fact any other stand that catches your eye. A few colleges offer a free-flow, 'design your own degree', Liberal-Arts flexi degree or mixed major degree, getting similar to the USA model.

hard STEM courses will continue to offer the best job prospects, and STEM remains an entry route into the world of silly-money banking & finance.
Literate courses will give you about half the study hours needed at STEM...

hmmm.....forensics is popular, probably too popular a degree choice, due the TV exposure - but I refer you back to (*)

For some reason, most UK students seem to actually attend a uni which is around four hours drive from home, in my opinion. So you probably won't attend your local place, unless you like it a lot - and anyway you get to add another four choices when UCAS time comes round. [Plus, If you like Ireland, you can choose an amazing extra TEN universities and courses as 'backup' to UCAS, with the option to change your entire application even as late as now, mid May, for August 2019 placing, I chose this year three courses at Trinity College Dublin, one at UCD, one at UCC., one at DCU, one at DIT, one at IADT, one UoL, and finally another course at University College Cork]

You don't need to decide straight away which UCAS course, many students only make up their mind by , say, Tuesday 15th October 2019 at 6pm BST (If they are wishing to do Med. or Oxbridge in 2020) or January 15th 2020 for the rest of the courses and colleges. Even then, five percent of students (approx) might change their mind and change their course in the few complicated ways that are available.

Oh, and UCAS registration for the 2020 season starts in 4 days time...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LuigiMario
So , if you're in UK, there's nothing wrong - even this early - with visiting your local university open day, even unregistered, just walk round for a few hours. take a parent for taxi-ing, and for advice - just (after you get there) remind them that it will eventually be YOUR choice(*), tho' promise that you'll listen politely to any of their suggestions

Make sure you visit the "Lit" stands, where you can chat for a bit and pick up cool gifts, check out Psychology too - halfway house between science & philosophy. make sure you talk to the scientists on their stands, and in fact any other stand that catches your eye. A few colleges offer a free-flow, 'design your own degree', Liberal-Arts flexi degree or mixed major degree, getting similar to the USA model.

hard STEM courses will continue to offer the best job prospects, and STEM remains an entry route into the world of silly-money banking & finance.
Literate courses will give you about half the study hours needed at STEM...

hmmm.....forensics is popular, probably too popular a degree choice, due the TV exposure - but I refer you back to (*)

For some reason, most UK students seem to actually attend a uni which is around four hours drive from home, in my opinion. So you probably won't attend your local place, unless you like it a lot - and anyway you get to add another four choices when UCAS time comes round. [Plus, If you like Ireland, you can choose an amazing extra TEN universities and courses as 'backup' to UCAS, with the option to change your entire application even as late as now, mid May, for August 2019 placing, I chose this year three courses at Trinity College Dublin, one at UCD, one at UCC., one at DCU, one at DIT, one at IADT, one UoL, and finally another course at University College Cork]

You don't need to decide straight away which UCAS course, many students only make up their mind by , say, Tuesday 15th October 2019 at 6pm BST (If they are wishing to do Med. or Oxbridge in 2020) or January 15th 2020 for the rest of the courses and colleges. Even then, five percent of students (approx) might change their mind and change their course in the few complicated ways that are available.

Oh, and UCAS registration for the 2020 season starts in 4 days time...

Thank you SO much for this - it has really helped! I am looking into doing a Natural Science course which keeps your options open for a bit longer (yay) and includes some courses more tied with philosophy-based subjects too. This narrows down my uni options in a good way and I'm pretty certain I want to do this course and thanks again for the super advice :smile:
Hi! My friend is applying for forensic psychology at Keele and says it's supposed to be one of the best for it, so I'd assume it's pretty good for general forensics as well.
Reply 4
Original post by quirkster42
Hi! My friend is applying for forensic psychology at Keele and says it's supposed to be one of the best for it, so I'd assume it's pretty good for general forensics as well.

Yes I looked into that too - their Natural Sciences course is more open than most uni's and they do a biology, forensic and psychology module which sounds fascinating, plus the uni itself looks really nice! Hearing a second person say it's meant to be good is really helpful, thank you I appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest