The Student Room Group

Alabama Abortion Law

How do you guys feel about the new Law? I'm so outraged about, I feel like the state is going back to the Medieval period.....And considering the fact that is was voted by 25 Male Senators (who support rape) makes it even more despicable. And I also hate how they intertwine religion with government..... They have no respect for women, even when Linda Coleman was giving a speech, all the men were completely ignoring her and looking at their phones and laughing smh
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Glad it passed. Hope its a good walk forward before a good leap for humanity. a means to stop the lie in abortions.

25 males? yeah, since we speak on US law - roe vs wade had 9 male judges. male or female. doesn't matter.

how was religion entwined?
a different opinion does not equate 'disrespect for women'
I think that most people have a vested interest in abortion being legal.

If abortion is illegal, it means that people have to be more careful about whom they sleep with, and when. It means that if they accidentally conceive a child, they have to become biological parents whether they like it or not. It also creates a burden on the state, as when parents disown (instead of abort) their unwanted children, responsibility for those children now falls upon them; they now have to run orphanages and adoption centres etc.

Almost nobody is better off as a result of abortion being illegal (apart from unborn children themselves, who have no voice in the matter). Clearly, legalising it is the more convenient option for the majority of people.

However, that doesn’t make it morally right. Many people believe it is wrong, because it imposes upon the rights of unborn children, and that they must speak for those who cannot speak for themselves.

Of course we could argue endlessly about whether it actually is morally right or not. But one thing I find refreshing is that it shows that people are able to create and support laws on the basis of what they consider to be morally right, rather than just picking the option that suits them personally.
Original post by Athenaxx
How do you guys feel about the new Law? I'm so outraged about, I feel like the state is going back to the Medieval period.....And considering the fact that is was voted by 25 Male Senators (who support rape) makes it even more despicable. And I also hate how they intertwine religion with government..... They have no respect for women, even when Linda Coleman was giving a speech, all the women were completely ignoring her and looking at their phones and laughing smh

I told someone that abortion will slowly be abolished and she laughed in my face & called me names.

Missouri lawmakers have now submitted their own law to their Governor to abolish it in their state as well. Apparently more states will follow suit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/17/missouri-lawmakers-approve-bill-to-ban-abortions-after-eight-weeks-of-pregnancy

To your point, I am against abortion because it is a cruel destruction of another human being. The child did not ask to conceived, yet its mother would gladly kill it. Sad.
Original post by da_nolo
Glad it passed. Hope its a good walk forward before a good leap for humanity. a means to stop the lie in abortions.

25 males? yeah, since we speak on US law - roe vs wade had 9 male judges. male or female. doesn't matter.

how was religion entwined?
a different opinion does not equate 'disrespect for women'

People seem to forget that the Alabama Governor who signed it into law is a woman. She had the power to veto it, but she refused. They are focused on the men because it suits their narrative.
Banning abortion is only banning the safe ways of doing it. But 'pro-life' people's logic of it killing another person, also means banning miscarriages, periods and masturbation. The 'pro-life' movement is bull*hit especially when it comes down to the fact the world is overpopulated anyway. Abortion isn't a pleasant thing to have to resort to but sometimes it's the only sane option.
Original post by Wired_1800
I told someone that abortion will slowly be abolished and she laughed in my face & called me names.

Missouri lawmakers have now submitted their own law to their Governor to abolish it in their state as well. Apparently more states will follow suit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/17/missouri-lawmakers-approve-bill-to-ban-abortions-after-eight-weeks-of-pregnancy

To your point, I am against abortion because it is a cruel destruction of another human being. The child did not ask to conceived, yet its mother would gladly kill it. Sad.
Original post by 1210Libra
Banning abortion is only banning the safe ways of doing it. But 'pro-life' people's logic of it killing another person, also means banning miscarriages, periods and masturbation. The 'pro-life' movement is bull*hit especially when it comes down to the fact the world is overpopulated anyway. Abortion isn't a pleasant thing to have to resort to but sometimes it's the only sane option.

Your argument makes no sense. People should take responsibility for their actions.
But 'pro-life' people's logic of it killing another person, also means banning miscarriages, periods and masturbation.

nah mate you're so jacked. be real here. an egg or sperm cell is not a human. a formed foetus is undoubtedly much more of a human, and if you let nature continue, it will become a human whereas as a single cell will not (it requires a sufficient condition)
I know it doesn't make much sense cause I worded it weird but my idea is there. The actions you're on about might not have been their personal choice, even if the child isn't the product of rape or sexual abuse, it doesn't mean that the parents are old enough or mature enough to have that child. Other times it might be that the child was accidental and its parents aren't mentally or financially stable enough for a baby.

Your argument makes no sense. People should take responsibility for their actions.

That still means miscarriages, they are the exact same as abortions the only difference is one is a choice.
Original post by HoldThisL
nah mate you're so jacked. be real here. an egg or sperm cell is not a human. a formed foetus is undoubtedly much more of a human, and if you let nature continue, it will become a human whereas as a single cell will not (it requires a sufficient condition)
People seem to forget that the Alabama Governor who signed it into law is a woman. She had the power to veto it, but she refused. They are focused on the men because it suits their narrative.

That’s actually a pretty good point.

It’s not an issue of “men vs women”. There are so many women who are against abortion, and so many men who are in favour of it, who would indeed be the first to tell their girlfriends to “get rid of it”, as soon as she announces that she is pregnant.

To frame it as “men vs. women, tyrant vs. oppressed, us vs. them” is certainly a great advert for being pro-abortion, it plays on people’s sensitivities stemming from historical injustices against women. But it’s completely ignorant of reality.

There is a lot of twisting and refraining of the facts going on. Another example is that people often claim that “you can now go to prison for having a miscarriage”, which is simply wrong.

The law allows investigations to be carried out to ascertain whether or not a woman’s miscarriage was the result of an illegal abortion; and if it was, then it is the doctor who carried out the abortion that is criminally liable, not the woman herself. It is an absolutely intentional misrepresentation to say that “miscarriage is now illegal”.

But it happens with every politically charged debate, I suppose.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
That’s actually a pretty good point.

It’s not an issue of “men vs women”. There are so many women who are against abortion, and so many men who are in favour of it, who would indeed be the first to tell their girlfriends to “get rid of it”, as soon as she announces that she is pregnant.

To frame it as “men vs. women, tyrant vs. oppressed, us vs. them” is certainly a great advert for being pro-abortion, it plays on people’s sensitivities stemming from historical injustices against women. But it’s completely ignorant of reality.

Yes, but that was what some feminist groups and the media try to portray. It is the age-old trick of division. One feminist spokeswoman was yelling about how “men” hate women and want to control their bodies. The interviewer then said that the Alabama Governor was a woman and the spokeswoman looked lost for a minute.

Abortion is a very tricky subject and as you said some people are generally supportive or against it. It is a very convenient way of avoiding the truth and responsibility. Obviously, some men would strongly advise their girlfriends to abort because they don't want the responsibility.

It would be interesting to see whether the world will actually end now, since many people have been acting like criminalising abortion would spell the end of the world.
I know it doesn't make much sense cause I worded it weird but my idea is there. The actions you're on about might not have been their personal choice, even if the child isn't the product of rape or sexual abuse, it doesn't mean that the parents are old enough or mature enough to have that child. Other times it might be that the child was accidental and its parents aren't mentally or financially stable enough for a baby.

That still means miscarriages, they are the exact same as abortions the only difference is one is a choice.

Ok, sure

If they are not old enough, they should not be having sex. Everything has consequences. Young people have typically used their age or inexperience to avoid consequences.

Miscarriages are a tragic and sad rejection of an unborn child by the mother’s body. It is a natural process. Abortion is not. Also masturbation is not the same because there is no conception.
a big surprise to me

I like it, but they should have just done the death penalty instead of prison sentences.

I don't think it'll last long though.

yeah mate that's one big ****ing difference lmao don't play it off like it's irrelevant

if you do something illegal without choosing to do so, your action lacks intent which is one of the critical factors that makes an action a crime. it's called the mens rea look it up
Original post by Athenaxx
How do you guys feel about the new Law? I'm so outraged about, I feel like the state is going back to the Medieval period.....And considering the fact that is was voted by 25 Male Senators (who support rape) makes it even more despicable. And I also hate how they intertwine religion with government..... They have no respect for women, even when Linda Coleman was giving a speech, all the women were completely ignoring her and looking at their phones and laughing smh

Hahaha there’s no way they will be able to enforce it, it will be blocked by congress.

Banning theft only bans the safe ways of stealing. But "pro-business" people's logic of it harming someone's business also means banning borrowing and buying. The "pro-business" movement is bull*hit especially when it comes to the fact businesses have too much stock anyway. Theft isn't a pleasant thing to resort to but sometimes it's the only sane option.

:grin:
(edited 4 years ago)
I really think that instead of worrying about UNBORN foetuses, maybe we should, y'know, focus on the people who have ACTUALLY been born. There are so many problems in the world that are killing far more people than abortions could ever 'kill'. Shooting, knife crime, domestic violence, murder etc... Besides, I bet that these 'pro-lifers' wouldn't care about the baby once it was born, especially if it was black or turned out to be LGBTQ+. If you say you're pro-life then act like it and save those who are in need and support the minorities.

Lets be honest, this abortion law isn't about 'saving foetuses' or whatever, it's about controlling women's bodies.
Original post by runawaytrolley
I really think that instead of worrying about UNBORN foetuses, maybe we should, y'know, focus on the people who have ACTUALLY been born. There are so many problems in the world that are killing far more people than abortions could ever 'kill'. Shooting, knife crime, domestic violence, murder etc... Besides, I bet that these 'pro-lifers' wouldn't care about the baby once it was born, especially if it was black or turned out to be LGBTQ+. If you say you're pro-life then act like it and save those who are in need and support the minorities.

Lets be honest, this abortion law isn't about 'saving foetuses' or whatever, it's about controlling women's bodies.

I have no problems with BAME people and have spoken out against abortion being used selectively against BAME people - Margaret Sanger and Marie Stopes were both eugenicists.

Also, 190,000 abortions take place every year in Britain, whereas 800 murders occur every year. Do the math(s).
Original post by Mossbourne
I have no problems with BAME people and have spoken out against abortion being used selectively against BAME people - Margaret Sanger and Marie Stopes were both eugenicists.

Also, 190,000 abortions take place every year in Britain, whereas 800 murders occur every year. Do the math(s).

I said "problemS", it's plural, and murder is just one of the many problems. I left a lot out, such as death by disease. If you add up all of the deaths like those, not just murder, then it will be larger than the number of abortions. I'm sorry for not making that very clear, so thank you for responding and making me see that.

However, that wasn't my main point, as obviously just because something isn't as big a problem as something else, that doesn't mean it's not important. I understand that. The thing is, abortion is NOT a problem, unless you make it one by banning it. If someone is forced to give birth because they can't have an abortion, that's going to ruin two lives: the parent and the child. The parent may not be ready to look after a child, or could be on poverty, which will in turn be damaging to the child. Abortion, on the other hand, can save the parent from this distress and stop lives potentially being ruined.
in some aspects it's a step forward in a more ethical and fair directon, in others its backwards af. The fact that their laws are tainted so badly by religion is pretty awful.

I actually think the UK's abortion laws are a pretty good model to follow for appropriate abortion laws.

Quick Reply