The Student Room Group

Alabama Abortion Law

Scroll to see replies

I so disagree with the abortion laws I think they went too far. I'm pro-life but If you want to stop abortion you do it through education and discussion not law enforcement. That's just an open invitation for back street abortions which are unsafe. I think the public should be voting on what they want in their state not the government. Also getting a jail sentence longer than a rapist is WACK.
Original post by Mike Owen
This is what Mr William Cobbett said when people were campaigning for black people to have the same rights as white people:

"You seem to have a great affection for the fat and lazy and laughing and singing and dancing negroes; they it is for whom you feel compassion: I feel for the care-worn, the ragged, the hard-pinched, the ill-treated, and beaten down and trampled upon labouring classes of England, Scotland, and Ireland."

Is this how we should treat unborn babies just because there are "other problems" concerning born ones? By that logic, slavery would never have been abolished, the Jim Crow laws would be in place today, etc.

I have discussed some of this in another comment which I will quote below:
Original post by Mossbourne
I have no problems with BAME people and have spoken out against abortion being used selectively against BAME people - Margaret Sanger and Marie Stopes were both eugenicists.

Also, 190,000 abortions take place every year in Britain, whereas 800 murders occur every year. Do the math(s).

Original post by runawaytrolley
I said "problemS", it's plural, and murder is just one of the many problems. I left a lot out, such as death by disease. If you add up all of the deaths like those, not just murder, then it will be larger than the number of abortions. I'm sorry for not making that very clear, so thank you for responding and making me see that.

However, that wasn't my main point, as obviously just because something isn't as big a problem as something else, that doesn't mean it's not important. I understand that. The thing is, abortion is NOT a problem, unless you make it one by banning it. If someone is forced to give birth because they can't have an abortion, that's going to ruin two lives: the parent and the child. The parent may not be ready to look after a child, or could be on poverty, which will in turn be damaging to the child. Abortion, on the other hand, can save the parent from this distress and stop lives potentially being ruined.
Original post by Olivia.Omo16
I so disagree with the abortion laws I think they went too far. I'm pro-life but If you want to stop abortion you do it through education and discussion not law enforcement. That's just an open invitation for back street abortions which are unsafe. I think the public should be voting on what they want in their state not the government. Also getting a jail sentence longer than a rapist is WACK.

If you don't enforce it people will keep doing it. I imagine the people getting back street abortions will be a minority so it still works out better. Murder is worse than rape so the longer sentence makes sense.
To all these people saying "abortion is murder", I say to them STOP masturbating.
A lot of us (including me) don't masturbate, especially Christians (like me), because we think that its a bad thing. But even then sperm and eggs don't have the potential to become a human life on their own, so masturbating isn't the same thing as aborting. Masturbating is getting rid of what makes it possible for a human life to come into being, but abortion is getting rid of an actual human being.

Firstly, a fetus is not a human being, and some scientists say it is possible to create human life without an egg, see: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37337215

Secondly, I doubt you have never masturbated in your entire life or had a wet dream.

A little scenario for you to think about. Supposing your wife was raped, would you want her to keep the rapist's child? (Of course, it is her choice). Would you endure that nine-month period of time, knowing that the child your wife will have is not yours but the child of a man who raped her?
I think not.
I agree with you, I think all abortions are murders but there are some people who don’t think like us so they will get an abortion regardless wether it’s legal or not. I don’t like the idea of people doing any form of drugs but banning them has led to lost of people losing their lives as they are not monitored. Banned abortions will lead to lots of dead people as there are some sick people out there who will perform back street abortions without professional knowledge. I’m saying that if we legalise abortions then there will be less women at risk. Education is a long and stable solution so people will understand the horrors of abortion and avoid it. In Alabama they only teach kids abstinence and even though I agree with abstinence, we need to teach kids about consent, contraception and respect for themselves so they don’t get pregnant in the first place.
Original post by Student-95
If you don't enforce it people will keep doing it. I imagine the people getting back street abortions will be a minority so it still works out better. Murder is worse than rape so the longer sentence makes sense.
I agree with you, I think all abortions are murders but there are some people who don’t think like us so they will get an abortion regardless wether it’s legal or not. I don’t like the idea of people doing any form of drugs but banning them has led to lost of people losing their lives as they are not monitored. Banned abortions will lead to lots of dead people as there are some sick people out there who will perform back street abortions without professional knowledge. I’m saying that if we legalise abortions then there will be less women at risk. Education is a long and stable solution so people will understand the horrors of abortion and avoid it. In Alabama they only teach kids abstinence and even though I agree with abstinence, we need to teach kids about consent, contraception and respect for themselves so they don’t get pregnant in the first place.

What horrors?
The only horrors I can think of is a sick pervert raping a woman, and the woman having to give birth to a rapist's child.
wow, looking through this thread was quite surprising and disappointing.

the fact that people back this law is disgusting. i believe that women should have to option to have an abortion, up to 24 weeks, because that is when the fetus may survive outside of the womb. and i agree with abortion after this ONLY when the woman's life is at risk, or if the baby will be severely deformed; at the doctor's advice.

i think that if a woman does not have the economical means to provide for a baby, or she would not be a fit mother, carrying the baby to term then putting it up for adoption is better. however, there are already lots of children in the foster care system that never find homes, so it puts even more pressure on the already bad foster care system in alabama. ultimately, it should be the mother's choice, even if i personally disagree.

women shouldn't have to carry a baby if they have been raped, or carrying the baby would cause them mental/emotional trauma. also, if the mother is a drug addict, and the fetus would be born with an addiction.

we really are moving backwards. regardless of your own opinion on abortion, the mother should always have the option. you are not her. you will not be the person forced to carry this fetus for 9 months, then potentially raise it for 18 years; which could really affect the woman's career life and mental health. obviously, i advocate for better education on contraceptives (abstinence is NOT good enough education!), but the woman should have the choice, and it is nobody's right to steal that from her.
Firstly, I'll clarify that I've never masturbated knowingly, there's nothing wrong with a wet dream because you can't help it. But not masturbating is really not that hard, I mean we have self-control, we're not animals...

More importantly, if my wife were raped, I would want her to keep the rapist's child. I don't give a damn who the kid's dad is, the only thing I give a damn about is that it's a human being. There's no scientific evidence that it is otherwise. We can argue all day about its brain capacity, capability to feel pain, etc., but there is no concrete evidence that it is not human. If it can't feel pain or has limited brain capacity, is it okay to kill everyone we know to be alive that is incapable to feel pain (they exist) and those with less developed brains than us? Why murder an innocent child just because its not mine, or if it came into the world through disturbing, horrific means? It's a human, and that's beautiful in itself. Just because I'm not the father, it wouldn't mean I wouldn't try to raise it with my wife with as much love and dedication as possible as I would if it were my biological child.

Ok mate, you keep thinking that, but I am pretty sure your wife wouldn't want to give birth to a rapist's child.
You talk about "Scientific Evidence", but you forget that humans are in fact part of the animal kingdom, and therefore are animals. Therefore by your logic, no animal should be killed, which means that Lions, Tigers and any other predator are wrong for doing so.
Finally, Only after eight weeks does an embryo become a fetus, which means it is not "a human" up until this point, as it is just a grouping of cells.
You know I actually have no comment on this issue.I really don't understand how any one can support this.
Like I thought society was progressing but we are just going backwards.
First issue:All male deciding
Second issue: Everything
I know that people are against abortion and I literally have no opinion on it.Like just legalise it and if you don't want an abortion then don't get it.
im anti abortion, i find it sick how parents have sex, and only regret it to kill their unborn child! its outrageous! They are killing life! I remember watching a documentary in my class a few months ago, about a women who was 14 weeks pregnant (idk) and she and her husband went to the nhs, you could see the baby kicking in the ultrasound too! the baby started kicking faster once the drug kicked in, it made me and other people teary eyed, cause it was kicking for its life... Its so unethical too, people then say, oh we cant use them for stem cells, honestly just really glad. Some people cant even have kids so they seem so unthankful. Btw this is my opinion, so pls dont fight me over it...
Original post by Athenaxx
How do you guys feel about the new Law? I'm so outraged about, I feel like the state is going back to the Medieval period.....And considering the fact that is was voted by 25 Male Senators (who support rape) makes it even more despicable. And I also hate how they intertwine religion with government..... They have no respect for women, even when Linda Coleman was giving a speech, all the men were completely ignoring her and looking at their phones and laughing smh
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by runawaytrolley
I really think that instead of worrying about UNBORN foetuses, maybe we should, y'know, focus on the people who have ACTUALLY been born. There are so many problems in the world that are killing far more people than abortions could ever 'kill'. Shooting, knife crime, domestic violence, murder etc... Besides, I bet that these 'pro-lifers' wouldn't care about the baby once it was born, especially if it was black or turned out to be LGBTQ+. If you say you're pro-life then act like it and save those who are in need and support the minorities.

Lets be honest, this abortion law isn't about 'saving foetuses' or whatever, it's about controlling women's bodies.

your first point is actually very valid, pro-lifers should do these things. second of all how is it to do with controlling a woman's body? it's about protecting an individual child with it's own personality, Gene's blood type, hair colour, fingers, heart ect. that is not part of a woman's body, it is a separate entity that deserves the same respect as any human
Reply 32
personally I don't think I'd ever get an abortion but it's a secure feeling that at least I have an option if something ever happens to me.

however that doesn't mean I'll force my opinion down on other's and there might be a time in my life, hopefully not, that might force me to get an abortion.

I think very few people actually get abortions because it was an accident and even if they're financially stable decide to abort unless it poses some risk on the mother.

The point is that everyone has their own stories and reasons and it's not our job to judge them based on what we think are the right or wrong decisions, most people have a valid reason for abortion whether it be rape, incest, financial instability or whatever else.

A rapist can come out 2 years later and if you've been forced through the psychological trauma of raising and nurturing his child for him to claim custody and you're forced to see him again a person would break completely and have no mental capabilty to actually raise a child. it's disgusting an inhumane.

pro-lifers like to force their opinions on others but they need to realise the stories of real women who have gone through a lot and abortion saved their lives and psychological wellbeing.

and yes, a woman did sign the bill but don't you think she felt pressured by the 25 men standing behind her shoulder?

I'm disgusted at society, the majority of prolifers don't care if that child is dragged through the foster care system, shot at school, raped, murdered, or something worse. We should be focusing on making the world a better place before bringing in children that won't experience a life they deserve.

focus on all the children starving and dying in war zones around the world, focus on the the starving, the weak, the men and women not knowing if they'll even be alive tomorrow than over an unborn embryo that might be miscarried.
Reply 33
in any case if we care about embryos so much IVF should be banned as some of the embryos are destroyed after the woman conceives.
luckily we have surrogates -_-

But with legal abortion you'll kill more babies than the number of mothers who'd die in back alley abortions.
Reply 36
and to those saying it's different from the woman's body. It legit feeds from it's mother, is carried by her for 9 months. SHE has to go through all of that pain. The day a man carries full term and gives birth and gets periods is the day he can talk about abortion. It's a very scary thing and many women suffer from PTSD due to birth. Do women not have a right to say what happens to their bodies or not? It's not all about the baby. When forced to choose over the mother or the baby in a life or death birtb situation many people would chose the woman. Yes, it's upsetting when you lose a child to abortion or other medical reasons but no one goes through more trauma than the actual mother. No mother actually wants to kill their child but they have valid reasons. In fact it isn't even a child at 6 weeks. Men can just quit if they don't want a child and leave the pregnant mother bit women have to physically raise the child. If abortions are illegal then so should men abandoning women they've impregnated.
I understand that you may believe that you are killing babies but don't you think that you should show benevolence and respect for a woman's choice to do what she feels is right for herself and the foetus? The thing is by giving birth to the child the mother AND child could face so much trauma in cases of rape etc. The child who would be given to a foster home would more likely than not have to deal with disgusting things happen to them such as neglect, rape and other forms of abuse. Is this something you really think is right if you care so much for the child?
Original post by Student-95
But with legal abortion you'll kill more babies than the number of mothers who'd die in back alley abortions.
Original post by MainlyMathsHelp
I understand that you may believe that you are killing babies but don't you think that you should show benevolence and respect for a woman's choice to do what she feels is right for herself and the foetus? The thing is by giving birth to the child the mother AND child could face so much trauma in cases of rape etc. The child who would be given to a foster home would more likely than not have to deal with disgusting things happen to them such as neglect, rape and other forms of abuse. Is this something you really think is right if you care so much for the child?

Abortions are expensive. They cost the NHS £118 million in 2010. I can only imagine the numbers have gone up.

Imagine if £118 million was spent on the foster care system, improving the lives of all the kids already alive, and preventing needless unborn child death. How can you not agree with this?
Original post by Wired_1800
Your argument makes no sense. People should take responsibility for their actions.

What about rape victims?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending