The Student Room Group

Why is it so hard to get a Graduate Environmental Consultant role?

Hi guys, hope you're all well.

My background is in Environmental Science, and I just graduated with an MSc in Environmental Engineering. I have been trying to get a graduate job since the last year of my bachelor degree in an environmental consultancy, but to this day, I have not succeeded.

I have a real passion for contaminated land remediation, sustainable waste management and sound knowledge of hydrogeology. I also have a good understanding of air pollution, atmospheric physics, climate change, circular economy, drinking water treatment and wastewater treatment.

I'm not a UK citizen, but I do have full right to work in the UK. I also have a full UK driving licence.

I have had 6-month internship experience within the field of environment, health and safety. However, I'm struggling to get a job to further progress into an environmental consultant.

A few days ago, I received rejection emails from two of the many environmental consultancies that I have applied. So far, I have been applying for more than 35 places for a graduate role, but only one firm gave me an interview, and afterwards rejected me. Most of my applications don't even make it to the interview stage. I have had my CV and cover letter polished by many career advisors from both universities. I don't think I can improve them much further.

This situation is demotivating. I just want to know why it is so hard for me to get a job in the field that I am passionate about. My friends from the same course are all working in environmental consultancies or oil companies. Why can't I?

Could you give me some advice on what I can do to increase my chance of getting hired?

Thank you.
Original post by Mintto

If you've only got one interview from 35 applications then your CV isn't working effectively, no matter what you think about it. Your CV is the only thing employers know about you, and it isn't getting you to interview. It's either something technical you are missing, or it's the style and presentation. You probably aren't tailoring it enough and clearly demonstrating relevant skills that the employer is looking for.
Reply 2
Thank you for your advice. I will get my CV checked again.

Currently, on my CV I have a profile section to tailor my message to the role. And then I have my work experience, what I have achieved in each work experience, education history and grades, and volunteering experience as well as my language, IT skills.
Original post by threeportdrift
If you've only got one interview from 35 applications then your CV isn't working effectively, no matter what you think about it. Your CV is the only thing employers know about you, and it isn't getting you to interview. It's either something technical you are missing, or it's the style and presentation. You probably aren't tailoring it enough and clearly demonstrating relevant skills that the employer is looking for.
Original post by Mintto
Thank you for your advice. I will get my CV checked again.

Currently, on my CV I have a profile section to tailor my message to the role. And then I have my work experience, what I have achieved in each work experience, education history and grades, and volunteering experience as well as my language, IT skills.

That's the problem then! There should be no profile section at all. They are complete BS and employers take no notice of them, though they are often very amusing.

You should be giving evidence of your skills through bullet points under Experience and Interest sections, tailoring each CV to each role you apply for. Employers want to see evidence of relevant skills in the context in which you gained them, not as an isolated statement or list of skills.
Original post by Mintto
Hi guys, hope you're all well.

My background is in Environmental Science, and I just graduated with an MSc in Environmental Engineering. I have been trying to get a graduate job since the last year of my bachelor degree in an environmental consultancy, but to this day, I have not succeeded.

I have a real passion for contaminated land remediation, sustainable waste management and sound knowledge of hydrogeology. I also have a good understanding of air pollution, atmospheric physics, climate change, circular economy, drinking water treatment and wastewater treatment.

I'm not a UK citizen, but I do have full right to work in the UK. I also have a full UK driving licence.

I have had 6-month internship experience within the field of environment, health and safety. However, I'm struggling to get a job to further progress into an environmental consultant.

A few days ago, I received rejection emails from two of the many environmental consultancies that I have applied. So far, I have been applying for more than 35 places for a graduate role, but only one firm gave me an interview, and afterwards rejected me. Most of my applications don't even make it to the interview stage. I have had my CV and cover letter polished by many career advisors from both universities. I don't think I can improve them much further.

This situation is demotivating. I just want to know why it is so hard for me to get a job in the field that I am passionate about. My friends from the same course are all working in environmental consultancies or oil companies. Why can't I?

Could you give me some advice on what I can do to increase my chance of getting hired?

Thank you.

Do you tailor each cover letter to each application you make?
Out of interest, where do you live and where are you applying?
Reply 6
I didn't use to include the profile section and I got no response from the employers either. I only began to include it recently after my colleague who has recruiter experience recommended me to write a profile section.

Under my experience, I do use bullet points and I phrase it with action words and showing the results I achieved.
For example, '▪ Developed a monthly Environmental Dashboard using Excel, which updates energy usage, waste data and environmental incidents graphics automatically.'
Original post by threeportdrift
That's the problem then! There should be no profile section at all. They are complete BS and employers take no notice of them, though they are often very amusing.

You should be giving evidence of your skills through bullet points under Experience and Interest sections, tailoring each CV to each role you apply for. Employers want to see evidence of relevant skills in the context in which you gained them, not as an isolated statement or list of skills.
Reply 7
Yes, I do. I usually write a paragraph about why I want to work for the company. And then I write a paragraph about why I am interested in this particular role. And then I write a paragraph of my strength and what I can bring to the company.
Original post by jelly1000
Do you tailor each cover letter to each application you make?
Reply 8
I live in the East Midlands Region. I'm applying to anywhere really. I'm happy to relocate to anywhere in England. My preference is the Manchester region.
Original post by DuckDodgers
Out of interest, where do you live and where are you applying?
Original post by Mintto
I live in the East Midlands Region. I'm applying to anywhere really. I'm happy to relocate to anywhere in England. My preference is the Manchester region.

Yep, I believe companies are likely swamped already with local applicants and it means people applying from further afield don't get a look in, or at least they better be really special if they do.

I had a job interview in Manchester a few months ago and assume HR organised it because when I told the people interviewing me where I lived they were like 'ooh that's far, isn't it'. In a perfect world it could show commitment but I think it mostly bothers them knowing an applicant has to go through the process of relocating.

I had the same issue a few years ago when I lived near Northampton (maybe close to where you are now). I applied in vain for about six months in London before my girlfriend moved down for university. I put her address down and used the same CV but received a lot more invites to interview.

I don't mean to deter you though. Keep applying but also consider moving if you can.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Yep, I believe companies are likely swamped already with local applicants and it means people applying from further afield don't get a look in, or at least they better be really special if they do.

I had a job interview in Manchester a few months ago and assume HR organised it because when I told the people interviewing me where I lived they were like 'ooh that's far, isn't it'. In a perfect world it could show commitment but I think it mostly bothers them knowing an applicant has to go through the process of relocating.

I had the same issue a few years ago when I lived near Northampton (maybe close to where you are now). I applied in vain for about six months in London before my girlfriend moved down for university. I put her address down and used the same CV but received a lot more invites to interview.

I don't mean to deter you though. Keep applying but also consider moving if you can.

Oh dear, I am living in Northampton because I relocated for an internship. Never knew that they cared so much about location. I will consider relocating. Thank you for your advice!
Original post by Mintto
Oh dear, I am living in Northampton because I relocated for an internship. Never knew that they cared so much about location. I will consider relocating. Thank you for your advice!

I should probably mention that I can't speak for your field directly. Are they hiring at the company you did your internship?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
No, they didn't extend my internship because they said that they had no budget...
I should probably mention that I can't speak for your field directly. Are they hiring at the company you did your internship?
Original post by Mintto
No, they didn't extend my internship because they said that they had no budget...

Sorry to hear that, I had a temp job recently that went the same way.

Are things any better than they were two weeks ago?
Reply 14
Hi, sorry for the late reply, and thank you for asking!

I took up a temp job in Reading for now. Hope this will lead me to more opportunities.
Sorry to hear that, I had a temp job recently that went the same way.

Are things any better than they were two weeks ago?
Good to hear! Did you have to move from Northampton then?
Original post by Mintto
Hi, sorry for the late reply, and thank you for asking!

I took up a temp job in Reading for now. Hope this will lead me to more opportunities.
Reply 16
Yes, I moved away from Northampton.
Good to hear! Did you have to move from Northampton then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending