Arshdeep212
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi Everyone,

Its more like a discussion topic instead of a question. I have been reading a lot on the internet about the comparison and how some people don't think CIPFA is as hard or useful as other professional qualifications. I now have worked at two different organisations who provide ACCA/ CIPFA support.
I have a degree in Accounting and Finance, which gave me 9 exemptions. My first job after graduating was Graduate Finance Trainee at a University. This is where I finally met other trainees who were studying towards ACCA and working full time. One thing I noticed, that they all were struggling a bit because university being a public organisation, not giving much time off to trainees for revision or classes. However, I never got to apply for ACCA funding from the university as I left the university within 4 months (Due to some personal issues).
I now work in a Local Authority, who only provides support for CIPFA. and in my personal experience I would say I now prefer doing CIPFA over ACCA for the reason of how much support I am getting compared to my previous trainee colleagues (and there is another reason, you will read below). In no ways CIPFA is any easier than ACCA. Another thing people always say "its hard for a CIPFA trainee to move to private sector". I know so many people working in big private companies like EY who are CIPFA qualified. I think, it's all about if you know the right time or place to apply for jobs.
Another thing that I could hardly find any information about was the link between CIPFA and CIMA. So here I am sharing my information-

If you are CIPFA qualified, you can get up to 14 CIMA exemptions. Anyone wants to know in any more detail, here is the link

https://www.cimaglobal.com/Starting-...CIPFA-Members/

If anyone is concerned about having only Public sector focused PQ, you can always convert it into CIMA. Also, CIPFA is in talks with ACCA on collaborating as well. So, it could be by the time I finish my current Graduate Programme(Which will be end of 2020), CIPFA might have a gateway entry to ACCA aswell, so I am seeing a really good opportunity to have two PQs easily.

Where we all know private sector pays more, but there is always better job security in Public sector and better work-life balance.

I wanted to share my experience because when I got this job I was very unsure about CIPFA and could not find any good information. So, I hope this helps to any new trainee or graduate looking to apply for jobs.

Feel free to discuss your experience or questions.

Thanks.

Local authorities are not the only one supporting CIPFA, NHS gradate finance trainees are studying CIPFA as well. I now know few universities who are supporting CIPFA instead of ACCA.
Meggiez
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys, I wish to find out if I can use a CIPFA IPFM qualification to work in Canada. Is it recognized in Canada?
Meggiez
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, thanks for the information you provided. I have been working with the Public service in my country for 6 years and I recently enrolled for the CIPFA IPFM qualification. However, I will be relocating to Canada next year so I wish to find out if I can use my CIPFA IPFM qualification in Canada. Thanks
df2397
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So how many exams are there in total for CIMA? Also I have a degree and get 7 exemptions so I believe there are 6 more to sit
IS this correct? Is CIMA hard?
hazcollins3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for this thread. I’ve got two opportunities, one to do ACCA and the other to do CIPFA, the CIPFA offer is note balanced and the employer will give me additional time to do it, where as the private sector offer for ACCA offers no such thing. I want a good life/work balance but I was worried CIPFA would be a lot of work for not much reward. The CIMA exemption route has swayed me. I haven’t seen anything regarding ACCA on that front though?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hazcollins3)
Thank you so much for this thread. I’ve got two opportunities, one to do ACCA and the other to do CIPFA, the CIPFA offer is note balanced and the employer will give me additional time to do it, where as the private sector offer for ACCA offers no such thing. I want a good life/work balance but I was worried CIPFA would be a lot of work for not much reward. The CIMA exemption route has swayed me. I haven’t seen anything regarding ACCA on that front though?
exemptions are dependant on your previous qualifications - generally from degrees but also AAT or other accountancy exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (247)
57.31%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (57)
13.23%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (47)
10.9%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (37)
8.58%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
4.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed