Watch
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

What is this thread about?
This is a petition in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). It's a proposal submitted by an ordinary TSR user, that is first debated and then voted on. All are welcome and encouraged to ask questions about the petition's content and join in the debate – you don't have to be in a party or be an MP to do so. Anyyone who isn't an MP can submit a petition – and you can do that very easily by using the petition tool.

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

P92 – Decrease of UK passport fees, _thestudent33
Decrease of UK passport fees

UK passport fees should be halved for those applying within the UK.

The price of passports can mean that less privileged members of society cannot obtain one. Thus, the government should halve the fees to make passports more affordable and accessible to those who cannot currently afford one.

This decrease only applies to Adult and Child standard 34-page passports.

The changes are as follows:

Adult (online application) From £75.50 to £37.75
Child (online application) From £49 to £24.50

Adult (paper application) From £85 to £42.50
Child (paper application) From £58.50 to £29.25
Last edited by Saracen's Fez; 1 year ago
username8408717
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Please excuse the spelling errors if you do find any, I did this in a hurry
username8408717
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by _thestudent33)
What's that
It just lets me take over the OP and customise a few things.
username8408717
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
It just lets me take over the OP and customise a few things.
:top:
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:top:
He’s launching a coup against you!
username8408717
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
He’s launching a coup against you!
I doubt it
username8408717
Report 1 year ago
I was gonna say, Saracen's Fez is this more powerful than a motion?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ummm Saracen's Fez

At the top it says thestudent33 Mp. Even though
A: he’s not an MP and
B: MPs can’t submit a petition

Please fix?
username8408717
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Ummm Saracen's Fez

At the top it says thestudent33 Mp. Even though
A: he’s not an MP and
B: MPs can’t submit a petition

Please fix?
I guess he's too used to it after all the motions I sent
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was gonna say, Saracen's Fez is this more powerful than a motion?
I’m not Fez, but yes, petitions are stronger than motions because the government is constitutionally obliged to respond to a successful petition, but not a successful motion.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
On the petition itself, nay, passports are a legitimate way for the state to make revenue and I would argue that if one cannot afford a passport then one doesn’t need one anyway, because by extension they can’t afford to travel abroad.

Other cheaper methods of ID are available (provisional driving licence for example) and a birth certificate is free for all people.
Last edited by Connor27; 1 year ago
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How much does it cost to administer a passport and what would be the loss of revenue as a result of this?
(Original post by Connor27)
Other cheaper methods of ID are available (provisional driving licence for example) and a birth certificate is free for all people.
A birth certificate is actually a poor example, since you only get one original and copies are often not accepted as ID (as more than just the person concerned can apply for a copy). They also certainly don't count as photo ID!
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
How much does it cost to administer a passport and what would be the loss of revenue as a result of this?

A birth certificate is actually a poor example, since you only get one original and copies are often not accepted as ID (as more than just the person concerned can apply for a copy). They also certainly don't count as photo ID!
It raised £50m for 2018/2019 so the proposed change will cost (£25m).
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need to at the very least include the costings.

Less privileged members of the society also cannot afford to travel. Perhaps you should work on the PASS card instead of the passport.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you can’t afford a passport then you can’t afford to do the things you do with a passport, namely travel. This would just be a waste of money.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)

Ehh, fair point but provisional driving licences still exist as photo ID at a much cheaper cost which means that my argument still holds I feel.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ll echo questions as to how much this service costs to administer? The state should arguably either not make a profit on these or only make a small profit, if that’s what’s happening then we should leave it as is. However, if the state is performing a 100% markup (I’d be amazed if they were tbh) then absolutely.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Given the line is that Passports are effectively issued at cost could evidence be provided to the contrary, and if not a justification be given as to why those who do not travel abroad should be made to subsidise those who do?
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay.

If you can't afford a Passport, and the extra £35 ish saved makes such a vital different to your fragile finances, then you probably shouldn't be travelling. Also it's hardly a fee you pay often.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads