This discussion is closed.
bethanyrose02
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently in Year 12 and am hoping to apply to study medicine in October. I have been considering Liverpool University as I love the city, however it is ranked at the bottom of the league table for medicine, should I pay attention to this?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For medicine, no.
It doesn't matter where you study, everyone graduates with the same degree and same qualifications. Get's the same job in the same company and its considered the same wherever you go
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bethanyrose02)
I'm currently in Year 12 and am hoping to apply to study medicine in October. I have been considering Liverpool University as I love the city, however it is ranked at the bottom of the league table for medicine, should I pay attention to this?
No. If there's a problem with a medical school you'll hear about it via the GMC, not the Sunday supplements
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I definitely wouldn't worry about this.

The league tables for medicine are particularly nonsensical, written by people who have no idea what they are doing. For example, they often use employment rates and weight them highly, but to date everyone who has passed their degree has got an FY1 job, so when they label a university as low employment rate and make them plummet down the table, this is just nonsense. There are ways of looking at what goes into FY1 employment rankings if you want, but they don't do that. Because they don't know what they're doing.

Equally things like entry standards/average UCAS tariff make frankly little sense in a medicine league table, when everyone has AAA+.

Things to pay attention to instead are the course structure and teaching style, which varies dramatically, and the entry requirements and whether you stand a reasonable chance of getting in or not. In addition to the normal stuff like whether you like the city and university, of course.
ItzNico
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It doesn’t matter where you go for medicine as you will end up getting a job regardless, as the NHS lacks in doctors, so go wherever you feel you will enjoy and do best in as medicine is a really tough course! I’m hoping to go study medicine from September in QMUL!
olivia.francesca
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Liverpool university is meant to be a phenomenal university for sciences, and remember it is a Russel group university. I know it has a reputation for having amazing labs and so the course is a lot more practical than at other unis who mostly focus on just teaching the content and you don’t get any real life experience. Also loving the location is a huge factor in picking a uni, remember you have to live there for 4 years so if you love liverpool then it would be a good choice
MrMedicalStudent
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im sure Liverpool is amazing for Medicine. And like the others have said, you souldn't worry too much about league tables by the Times or CUG etc due to reasons mentioned allready.

HOWEVER If you'd like to see a thourgh comparison then you should look at data released by the General Medical Council which ranks UK medical schools in various areas. For example in 2018, the GMC found the medical school which produced the "most prepared doctors" for F1 (your first year as a real doctor) was University of East Anglia (Norwich Medical School) and has been 1st in the UK for 3 years in a row whereas Liverpool, unfortunately, diddnt feature and was infact under the mean average in 2018 for preparedness to practise. That doesnt mean Liverpool is a bad place to study medicine. It just means that on average doctors that graduated from this institustion felt they were less well prepared than their peers, such as those from UEA.

Overall though, go to a medical school where you feel most comfortable, but if you want proper data, then you should use it from GMC directly (link below).

http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/25496.asp

Thanks. Med Love.
Last edited by MrMedicalStudent; 2 years ago
GANFYD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MrMedicalStudent)
Im sure Liverpool is amazing for Medicine. And like the others have said, you souldn't worry too much about league tables by the Times or CUG etc due to reasons mentioned allready.

HOWEVER If you'd like to see a thourgh comparison then you should look at data released by the General Medical Council which ranks UK medical schools in various areas. For example in 2018, the GMC found the medical school which produced the "most prepared doctors" for F1 (your first year as a real doctor) was University of East Anglia (Norwich Medical School) and has been 1st in the UK for 3 years in a row whereas Liverpool, unfortunately, diddnt feature and was infact under the mean average in 2018 for preparedness to practise. That doesnt mean Liverpool is a bad place to study medicine. It just means that on average doctors that graduated from this institustion felt they were less well prepared than their peers, such as those from UEA.

Overall though, go to a medical school where you feel most comfortable, but if you want proper data, then you should use it from GMC directly (link below).

Thanks. Med Love.
It doesn't say that Liverpool graduates felt less prepared, that cannot be extrapolated from that data. It says fewer Liverpool graduates felt prepared, but of those who were, who is to say whether they felt more or less prepared than those who graduated from UEA? And that all of those who felt they were not really ready weren't just missing the mark and those from UEA were miles off? The data should not be used to infer things beyond the specific question it has been designed to answer.
More Liverpool graduates felt prepared for F1 than graduates from Barts, Cambridge and Imperial.
I would say that if a med school can get 60% of its graduates to feel confident to move on, then the training is there for them all to do it and there are likely other factors at work here.
APPLICANT2016
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I suspect the negative feedbacks were from final years still doing the PBL course. Liverpool have completely revamped the course and it is now integrated. Some excellent facilities. - harc centre for anatomy, a clinical skills centre and so on. Some great hospitals. 7 weeks if placements in year 2. And Liverpool are throwing a LOT of money on the medical school and on additional facilities and teaching staff.

Is it the best med school? Hell no.
Is it the worst? Hell no.
Last edited by APPLICANT2016; 2 years ago
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by olivia.francesca)
Liverpool university is meant to be a phenomenal university for sciences, and remember it is a Russel group university. I know it has a reputation for having amazing labs and so the course is a lot more practical than at other unis who mostly focus on just teaching the content and you don’t get any real life experience. Also loving the location is a huge factor in picking a uni, remember you have to live there for 4 years so if you love liverpool then it would be a good choice
But OP is looking to apply to medicine, not science. And medicine is not a 4 year degree- it's at least 5.
olivia.francesca
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Damn I wasn’t being that precise I was just telling op that it’s a good uni. I used science as an umbrella term and why does it matter exactly how many years the course lasts my point about location still stands
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Damn I wasn’t being that precise I was just telling op that it’s a good uni. I used science as an umbrella term and why does it matter exactly how many years the course lasts my point about location still stands
Just pointing out that none of that is relevant to the course OP wants to do, and whether it's a good uni or not is also completely irrelevant for medicine. But yeah, totally agree about location being a huge factor in picking a uni.
Last edited by black tea; 2 years ago
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Medical degrees don't come under the science umbrella though and medical students spend minimal time in the lab - just fyi.
olivia.francesca
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=Democracy;83274148]Medical degrees don't come under the science umbrella though and medical students spend minimal time in the lab - just fyi.[/
(Original post by Democracy)
Medical degrees don't come under the science umbrella though and medical students spend minimal time in the lab - just fyi.
At Liverpool uni, most of the third year is practical research where you use the labs or do placement in one of Liverpool’s hospitals to carry out a research project
Last edited by olivia.francesca; 2 years ago
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Once again, this isn't how it works for medical students and since this is the Medicine forum, that's what we're trying to provide the OP with information about - and yes, we do like to be quite "precise" on here

At Liverpool uni, most of the third year is practical research where you use the labs or do placement in one of Liverpool’s hospitals to carry out a research project
olivia.francesca
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The website for the university of Liverpool says medical students will do multiple placements across years 2-5 ? For practical application of knowledge?
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Clinical placements are different to carrying out a research project. Anyway it's fine, the OP should definitely go to Liverpool if she think she'd be happy there

The website for the university of Liverpool says medical students will do multiple placements across years 2-5 ? For practical application of knowledge?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In a hospital, not a lab!
(Original post by MrMedicalStudent)

Thanks. Med Love.
I think that link requires you to log in? Do you mean the data found via this link?

Also, that's not exactly what the GMC found is it? They found that UEA students reported themselves to be most prepared - a big difference! Not entirely not useful though.

I do agree that this kind of data actually has some applicability though, whereas league tables generally do not.
Last edited by nexttime; 2 years ago
APPLICANT2016
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by black tea)
But OP is looking to apply to medicine, not science. And medicine is not a 4 year degree- it's at least 5.
Anatomy, biochemistry, pharmacology, microbiology’s, physiology- all science.

Grad med is 4 yrs
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by APPLICANT2016)
Anatomy, biochemistry, pharmacology, microbiology’s, physiology- all science.

Grad med is 4 yrs
OP is in year 12 and is applying or medicine, not any of those degrees.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.89%
Excited but a bit nervous (121)
45.66%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.83%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.62%

Watched Threads