Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Basically the title
https://www.blinkist.com
DuckDodgers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've seen this before and it strikes me as stupid. A valuable message needs time to settle and is often reinforced over a longer period. Writers know that you don't express a point and be done with it; you keep building on it until the reader appreciates what you're trying to say.

Edit: This was a bit snobby. Maybe use the 7-day free trial to see how you feel.
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 1 month ago
esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DuckDodgers)
I've seen this before and it strikes me as stupid. A valuable message needs time to settle and is often reinforced over a longer period. Writers know that you don't express a point and be done with it; you keep building on it until the reader appreciates what you're trying to say.

Edit: This was a bit snobby. Maybe use the 7-day free trial to see how you feel.
For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_fiction
DuckDodgers
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by esralled)
For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_fiction
Don't get me wrong, I like flash fiction but this is the opposite of it.
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 1 month ago
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Book summaries is just a way for someone to make money. You don’t even need to pay for that app as lots of YouTube channels summarise books.

Personally, I will stick with reading the whole book you get more out of it
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by monotony)
Basically the title
https://www.blinkist.com
Sounds different...
It would probably work if you wanted to find new books + and get the general scenario of the book before you started reading (although other sites e.g. wikipedia would hive book synoposis' for free'
For me though - I deffo could never finish a book in 15 minutes
Last edited by Chronoscope; 1 month ago
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want to find books you consider the greatest ever written, I think this is an advisable strategy. Another would be to read the relevant wikipedia page first, or perhaps the quotes page/s on Goodreads.

(I recall a study that showed that people who read the plot of a film before seeing it actually tend to enjoy it more - just a thought).

You will soon develop a knack of determining books which seem rather "meh" by your standard of taste, those which you may or may not like and thus need to read in-depth, and those that seem immediately in-line with your taste.
PhylaVell
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, try read War & Peace within 15 minutes.
DuckDodgers
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think people mistake the point of this app.

Get the key ideas from bestselling nonfiction distilled by experts into bitesize text and audio.

It's literally people discussing the core themes of a book; like a Cliffsnote article but in audio form.

Which reminds me, Cliffnotes exists and it's free.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't pay for it, but I see the appeal.

I watch videos that summarise philosophy and history into 15-20 min chunks. Sometimes it's all you need to get the big picture.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (60)
21.82%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (93)
33.82%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
21.45%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (27)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (36)
13.09%

Watched Threads