The Student Room Group

Are A levels a little too easy still?

Are A levels a little too easy still? It does seem to be like students are being taught to the test still, even with the new exam reforms. Learn enough questions and answers by heart, and away you go with an A*-B grade. I cannot vouch for Maths or Further Maths, however.

Scroll to see replies

I don’t know what a levels you’re taking 😂 Mine are so hard and tons of work 🙁
Hell no. I still have nightmares about mine.
My DDU begs to differ...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MinaBee
Hell no. I still have nightmares about mine.

What do you take?
if you did further maths you would know how hard they can be
Original post by Sam snake
What do you take?

I did Spanish, French and law :judge:

wbu?
Reply 7
I have no doubt that Maths and Further Maths are the toughest A levels, and by some margin.
Original post by yoyo polo
if you did further maths you would know how hard they can be
hahaha no
Maths isn't bad for me at all, but further maths can just seem like too much sometimes
Original post by StarLinyx
I have no doubt that Maths and Further Maths are the toughest A levels, and by some margin.
Original post by MinaBee
I did Spanish, French and law :judge:

wbu?

Nearly finished year 12 and I do biology chemistry and maths. Maths and chemistry aren’t too bad (although A2 trigonometry in maths is sooo hard). Biology has so much content I don’t know where to start 😂
Reply 11
Nearly finished year 12 and I do biology chemistry and maths. Maths and chemistry aren’t too bad (although A2 trigonometry in maths is sooo hard). Biology has so much content I don’t know where to start 😂

But how are you learning the Biology? You only really need to go through hundreds of exam-style questions and answers from new revision textbooks?
Reply 12
Are A levels a little too easy still? It does seem to be like students are being taught to the test still, even with the new exam reforms. Learn enough questions and answers by heart, and away you go with an A*-B grade. I cannot vouch for Maths or Further Maths, however.

You've answered your own question. Maths and further maths are two of the hardest (if not the hardest a levels). And require a lot of hard work and effort to come out with a decent grade.
Don’t give them ideas! I’m doing my GCSEs and I hear A-level students complaining all the time. Trust me, I’m not hoping for them to change AGAIN so I get the worst end of the deal.

Oh my gosh anyone who does science and/or maths to A-level is a genius in my eyes :lol:

I've heard about how tough biology can be! I had a few friends that did it and they were always complaining about how much content there was. I'm sure you'll be fine though! :biggrin:
But how are you learning the Biology? You only really need to go through hundreds of exam-style questions and answers from new revision textbooks?

Anyone can learn the content and do questions, but some of the application questions that can come up are near impossible to score full marks on 🙁
Original post by MinaBee
Oh my gosh anyone who does science and/or maths to A-level is a genius in my eyes :lol:

I've heard about how tough biology can be! I had a few friends that did it and they were always complaining about how much content there was. I'm sure you'll be fine though! :biggrin:

Hopefully 😂 I have end of year exams in 2 weeks 😢
Reply 17
Original post by thoxque
You've answered your own question. Maths and further maths are two of the hardest (if not the hardest a levels). And require a lot of hard work and effort to come out with a decent grade.

Personally, I would not allow anyone to study A level Maths unless they achieve at least an A grade or higher at GCSE. Perhaps the bar should be at A* even, as A grade students also tend to struggle.
Hopefully 😂 I have end of year exams in 2 weeks 😢

Ahh do you feel prepared? Good luck with them!
Original post by MinaBee
Ahh do you feel prepared? Good luck with them!

Not even started revision 😂sorta hoping the fact that I found as maths pretty easy will mean I can wing it

Quick Reply

Latest