A Level Results Day/Clearing/Dropping grades Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi all!

I've applied and accepted an offer from Edinburgh Uni to study Law and Politics (LLB) in Sep 2019. My offer is conditional (AAA) and I am wondering what will happen if one of these grades is dropped to AAB or if one grade is lowered and one is higher than needed, for example A*AB.

Does anyone know what Edinburgh's policy or usual response to "just missed" grades is? At school we have been told that most people who just miss one or two grades are usually still allowed in to their firm choices, but as Edinburgh is highly competitive - and as law as a subject is generally competitive too - I am wondering whether Edinburgh keeps to this convention too?

If anyone has any experience regarding Edinburgh or Law at Edinburgh in particular it would be greatly appreciated to put a worried student's mind at rest thanks all and good luck to everyone starting A Levels soon x
username1399980
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It is impossible to predict what will happen if you miss your offer and there will be a number of factors that will affect what happens.

Based on what has happened in previous years the university will give out a number of offers which will be higher than the number places available (for your group ie other uk non-Scottish students- assuming that is what you are) This is because they know that some people will not accept their offer, some will put them as insurance and some will firm the offer.

On results day they will have to accept all the that obtain their offer. This will result in a number of different scnerios
1) More people that they anticipated fulfilled their conditions - they will consequently have more students than they would ideally like and anyone who does not get exactly the right grades will be rejected
2) The number of students who fulfil their offer is about what they anticipated, they may accept a few who just miss but it would be a handful
3) Less people meet their offer and they have some spaces left- they will therfore accept some people who missed their offer, how many and why they take one person over another probably varies each year and will depend on the candidates who are in the "pool"

I think it is probably unhelpful of the school to tell you that there is a convention to allow people in who miss grades in as it may well result in people thinking that it doesn't mater if they miss a grade and therefore potentially take their foot of the pedal a bit.

Edinburgh and Law are very competitive, you have done very well to get an offer but their is certainly no guarantee or indeed high probability that if you miss the offer you will get accepted.

Good Luck

(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all!

I've applied and accepted an offer from Edinburgh Uni to study Law and Politics (LLB) in Sep 2019. My offer is conditional (AAA) and I am wondering what will happen if one of these grades is dropped to AAB or if one grade is lowered and one is higher than needed, for example A*AB.

Does anyone know what Edinburgh's policy or usual response to "just missed" grades is? At school we have been told that most people who just miss one or two grades are usually still allowed in to their firm choices, but as Edinburgh is highly competitive - and as law as a subject is generally competitive too - I am wondering whether Edinburgh keeps to this convention too?

If anyone has any experience regarding Edinburgh or Law at Edinburgh in particular it would be greatly appreciated to put a worried student's mind at rest thanks all and good luck to everyone starting A Levels soon x
Last edited by username1399980; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads