Law Conversion PG Watch

Ojama9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey,
I'm currently a first year English Lit student but I've decided that I want to go for a career in law (solicitor) after I finish my UG. I did it at A-level so I'm not fully blind and have rudimentary understanding.

I know that it's quite awhile down the line, but I was wondering if anyone else had done this, would it be a good idea to start looking for work experience now? Ifso where? Is there anything else I can do alongside my UG to put me above others when I do apply?

Thanks
threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ojama9)
Hey,
I'm currently a first year English Lit student but I've decided that I want to go for a career in law (solicitor) after I finish my UG. I did it at A-level so I'm not fully blind and have rudimentary understanding.

I know that it's quite awhile down the line, but I was wondering if anyone else had done this, would it be a good idea to start looking for work experience now? Ifso where? Is there anything else I can do alongside my UG to put me above others when I do apply?

Thanks
It's an entirely standard route, indeed, some people recommend doing a non-law degree before converting. Just use your Uni careers office. The conversion route is changing, it's currently doing the GDL - which is a non-competitive paid-for course, ie you'll get a place if you can pay. however, this is about to change.

Careers service - research. This is a very well trodden route.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've moved your thread to the Law forum, so you will probably get more responses here.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your options re: legal work experience are:

a) formal work experience schemes (start looking into them now and start applying to the ones you're eligible for from next year onwards)
b) formal volunteering schemes (your uni will likely have a law clinic or collaborate with other law clinics; get in touch with the careers people to see what's up)
c) informal work experience through connections (most people arrange these for the summer)

On top of that, there are plenty of part-time jobs that you could do that have transferrable skills: working in a pub, working in the SU shop, etc.

Your uni should offer informational sessions for prospective legal career applicants (which usually involve a presentation and/or mingling with professionals over drinks). Again, these can be found on the careers page.

You've got plenty of time ahead, but you need to start looking into stuff now.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ojama9)
Hey,

Thanks
I would join the Law Society at Uni so that you will be able to access some of their events and also research volunteering at your local Citizens Advice Bureau, which gives you useful skills and training.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?