Missed my University of Edinburgh condition by one percent. What should I do? Watch

meghna7
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I hold a conditional offer from the University of Edinburgh for Economics with finance. I was required to get 80% overall and 75% in 3 subjects including mathematics.

I scored:
-88% overall
-88% in English
-95% in Economics
-92% in Physics
-77% in Chemistry
-74% in Math

I missed the Math condition by one percent. What should I do ?
eddykay3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by meghna7)
I hold a conditional offer from the University of Edinburgh for Economics with finance. I was required to get 80% overall and 75% in 3 subjects including mathematics.

I scored:
-88% overall
-88% in English
-95% in Economics
-92% in Physics
-77% in Chemistry
-74% in Math

Did you try contacting the university? If you missed maths by 1%, you also gained 8% on top of the overall required 80%
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
gelle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Contact them first and see,
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
meghna7
I emailed them regarding this and they said that I have to meet the math condition to ensure my place. Otherwise, they will not accept me.

Should I call them up?
(Original post by eddykay3)
Did you try contacting the university? If you missed maths by 1%, you also gained 8% on top of the overall required 80%
meghna7
I did contact them through email. They mentioned that I had to either meet or exceed the condition to secure my place.

I was really looking forward to joining Edinburgh😞
(Original post by gelle)
Contact them first and see,
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It looks like they will reject you and you need to look elsewhere. Maths is the key subject for Economics. Have you thought of paying for a recount in Maths to see if you can get the extra 1%. You could then tell Edinburgh it is under appeal.
I did contact them through email. They mentioned that I had to either meet or exceed the condition to secure my place.

I was really looking forward to joining Edinburgh😞
Admit-One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Two main questions:

Have you already made your UCAS replies, IE. Is Edinburgh your Firm or Insurance choice?

Did you send them official verification of your results, or just a speculative “what would happen if...”?
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
looks like you dodged a bullet as Edinburgh is notorious for its low student satisfaction scores. what country are you from and do you have any other uni offers?

I scored:
-88% overall
-88% in English
-95% in Economics
-92% in Physics
-77% in Chemistry
-74% in Math

Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
looks like you dodged a bullet as Edinburgh is notorious for its low student satisfaction scores. what country are you from and do you have any other uni offers?
I think it depends from department to department. I had an overwhelmingly positive experience in the Japanese department as well as the Hispanic and French departments. Although my friends in the German and Chinese departments had an excellent time, some of my friends in larger departments like Economics and English Literature felt indifferent to their tutors and courses which I'd say is possibly somewhat negative.

That said, pastoral care was horrific in my faculty (Literature, Languages and Cultures) and the way they dealt with mental health issues was ridiculous. I had one senior lecturer (who was my personal tutor) tell me to just forget and move on with my life when I had confided to her certain sensitive and traumatic issues that I had experienced during my year abroad which consequently were impacting my studies in my final year. The university was also extremely strict when it came to special circumstances etc.

It's a tough one, really. On the one hand, I'm very glad to have received a great education at the university and I attribute my academic skills and language prowess to certain tutors at Edinburgh. On the other hand, some of the upper management were extremely unsympathetic to myself and various friends who struggled mentally.

I wonder if it's because the university has so many students and staff members that it's difficult to regulate and maintain standards in various large departments.

As an aside, the city's beautiful and great to live in.
Last edited by Quick-use; 4 weeks ago
meghna7
(Original post by swanseajack1)
It looks like they will reject you and you need to look elsewhere. Maths is the key subject for Economics. Have you thought of paying for a recount in Maths to see if you can get the extra 1%. You could then tell Edinburgh it is under appeal.
I sent my math paper for revaluation and I mentioned this in my email to them.
meghna7
I have not yet made my UCAS replies. I was waiting for Edinburgh’s response.

I sent them the official verification of my results. In their response, they mentioned that I cannot be ensured a place unless I meet the conditions. Also, they asked me whether I would like to be considered for an alternate programme.
(Original post by Admit-One)
Two main questions:

Have you already made your UCAS replies, IE. Is Edinburgh your Firm or Insurance choice?

Did you send them official verification of your results, or just a speculative “what would happen if...”?
meghna7
Oh, is it? I heard really great things about Edinburgh.

I have offers from Warwick, Leeds and Bristol in the UK. I did not meet the conditions provided by Warwick and Bristol. Hence, I am considering Leeds. I have some offers from Canadian universities as well.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ah that's a pity, Warwick is pretty elite for Economics and Bristol is an all round top 10 uni. Leeds is good, there's nothing at all wrong with but it would be interesting to see how it compares with your Canadian options

I have offers from Warwick, Leeds and Bristol in the UK. I did not meet the conditions provided by Warwick and Bristol. Hence, I am considering Leeds. I have some offers from Canadian universities as well.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ue-tables-2019

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ntry+Standards

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/g...full-tp6dzs7wn
meghna7
Is Leeds safe? I am only concerned about the safety, I love the course at Leeds!

I have an offer from UBC and Queen’s ( Smith Business School) in Canada. Waiting to hear from University of Toronto.

ah that's a pity, Warwick is pretty elite for Economics and Bristol is an all round top 10 uni. Leeds is good, there's nothing at all wrong with but it would be interesting to see how it compares with your Canadian options
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ah those three sound like great options. i don't know how much Canada does the US-style liberal arts though which, if they do, should make a big difference to your decision.

So I'm not exaggerating when I say this but I would bet that the most dangerous city in the UK is still safer than the safest major city in the US. There are a lot of complaints about crime at the moment in the UK but really Leeds is just a normal student city. It's rough around the edges but a generally friendly and decent place. The most likely crime is bike theft probs. Leeds is best known for it's student nightlife and if you love the course then great... with an economics degree you will go far even at lower ranked unis
Is Leeds safe? I am only concerned about the safety, I love the course at Leeds!

I have an offer from UBC and Queen’s ( Smith Business School) in Canada. Waiting to hear from University of Toronto.
meghna7
Thank you so much for this information! I shall consider this while making my final decision.
ah those three sound like great options. i don't know how much Canada does the US-style liberal arts though which, if they do, should make a big difference to your decision.

So I'm not exaggerating when I say this but I would bet that the most dangerous city in the UK is still safer than the safest major city in the US. There are a lot of complaints about crime at the moment in the UK but really Leeds is just a normal student city. It's rough around the edges but a generally friendly and decent place. The most likely crime is bike theft probs. Leeds is best known for it's student nightlife and if you love the course then great... with an economics degree you will go far even at lower ranked unis
NineO19
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good luck , let us know how you get on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.13%
The paper was reasonable (1114)
55.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (442)
21.86%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.91%

Watched Threads