The Student Room Group

Third class degree

Hi, ive achieved a third in university and have decided that maybe going into teaching may be what i want to get into. Either primary or secondary. Ive studied business management in universiry and considering teaching business... if thats possible with my grades 😔. Is it even possible for me? I also do not have any teaching experience.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by humz97
Hi, ive achieved a third in university and have decided that maybe going into teaching may be what i want to get into. Either primary or secondary. Ive studied business management in universiry and considering teaching business... if thats possible with my grades 😔. Is it even possible for me? I also do not have any teaching experience.

Your first action should be to research opportunities out there. Start small by building transferrable skills, for example mentoring younger people with difficulties (in most cities they run mentor schemes), volunteering, customer service job and so on.

Other alternatives include doing an Open University degree. You can transfer 180 of your credits from your undergraduate to an OU degree, so you'd only need to do 180 credits with them. Choose modules related to teaching (though you'd have to read their guideline on this as it may be out of date).

The other alternative if you want to go into teaching is to do a conversion course and do a PGCE in science related subject, since there is a shortage of science teachers. Southampton uni offers a programme in this which doesn't require a specific grade.
People do successfully get into Teaching with 3rd class degrees. The government benchmark is often stated as 2:2 and above, but this relates more specifically to funding. Universities can admit someone onto a PGCE if they have a 3rd. Two people on my MFL PGCE had achieved 3rds.

My advice to you: try and work as a teaching assistant in a secondary school for a year. Then, look at using your experience in the classroom as a selling point - convey your passion for working with young people when writing your PS and when interviewing. Passion is so important to Universities and schools, because teaching is an intense profession, and if you're not really motivated to teach, you will likely be driven out of the profession within a couple of years of qualifying.

I think School Direct could be a better option for you, as it would involve more teaching and less studying during the training year.

Also, don't be disheartened if you don't succeed first time around - you need to have a thick skin to teach comfortably, so develop it now if you don't already have it.
Original post by humz97
Original post by humz97

It is possible to be accepted onto an ITT course with a third class degree. However, universities may worry about your ability to cope with the masters level study required for the PGCE. It might be worth looking into QTS only routes.

It might be worth contacting some providers to ask how they would view your application- some may be more interested in your potential as a teacher than your degree, so these would be the ones to focus on applying to.

You'd usually be expected to have at least 2 weeks experience in a uk state school in the last two years to discuss at interview- but more is usually better- especially if you go for primary as it's quite competitive. Experience of working with the age group you want to teach in any setting is also desirable.

You wouldn't be entitled to any government bursaries at the moment, but you would be able to fund your study through student loans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending