Politics graduate - 1 year on no job Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a degree in politics which I graduated last July from Uni of Manchester. Fast forward a year i am still unemployed. I've had a job as a team member' which only lasted me a week on the training. Also 1 day at a supermarket for Christmas temporary.

Apart from that I've been depressed and unemployed. I've been to the jobcentre, I am getting universal credit for my unemployment.

I feel gutted, every job I apply I am getting rejected. My CV is fine and I have some experience. I am now unsure what to do. I really wanted to work for the government but I know I can never get in. I am thinking of doing an apprenticeship as this will give me experience and on the job training. I am not sure if I can still do it with a pointless degree I already have. Can anyone help me what to do? I can't waste my life away doing nothing, I am getting seriously ill and depressed, also living at home with mum is not fun. 😣😣😢
Anonymous #1
My degree was pointless I only studied it is was naive at the time thinking uni would guarantee me a good stable job. It is also how they sell it). : (( I have wasted my time and money. I was thinking of dropping out when I was doing it. Also I didn't really do well I got a 2:2. So I don't know what to do. I am confused
Haider.alix
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
High mate, i need a little details about you,like your home . Do you have a british passport or not, Since you aint finding a job i prefer you sending your cv to the gulf countries like the UAE because Arabs value British degree holders a lot and would you mind posting your cv here

Cheers
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where do you live and where are you looking for work? Why do you think you would never get a job with the government?
Haider.alix
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
Where do you live and where are you looking for work? Why do you think you would never get a job with the government?
true mate and the point is that the job is government is not necessary, he just needs to get a job in his on field, cuz thats his future
LouiseRu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
LoOK online at RAF, Army, Navy websites for training opportunities.

They do all sorts of roles not just pure soldier or infantry roles.

Roles are in such areas as HR, Logistics, Scientific, Engineering etc.

Not everyone is aware of this.

You are trained from scratch and not expected to have much experience.

This will give you a chance to start over and retrain in a new area.

Training is very extensive and you can get lots of qualifications useful to normal civilian life.

Downsides mean that you must get fit, sign up for a minimum period and be prepared to move around and
get used to military discipline.

But this is a way out of your current predicament.

Note do not just look at Graduate jobs look at others as well.
Graduate scheme places are limited and therefore very competitive by nature.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I graduated last year and I've struggled since, I gave up in the end and started looking for work abroad in the U.S. My back up plan is a masters degree but i feel like its really just running away from unemployment
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no one can help you if you have zero sense of direction
Prussianxo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so would you not recommend a degree in politics, even if you do well?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have a degree in politics which I graduated last July from Uni of Manchester. Fast forward a year i am still unemployed. I've had a job as a team member' which only lasted me a week on the training. Also 1 day at a supermarket for Christmas temporary.

Apart from that I've been depressed and unemployed. I've been to the jobcentre, I am getting universal credit for my unemployment.

I feel gutted, every job I apply I am getting rejected. My CV is fine and I have some experience. I am now unsure what to do. I really wanted to work for the government but I know I can never get in. I am thinking of doing an apprenticeship as this will give me experience and on the job training. I am not sure if I can still do it with a pointless degree I already have. Can anyone help me what to do? I can't waste my life away doing nothing, I am getting seriously ill and depressed, also living at home with mum is not fun. 😣😣😢
Have you done any other things, such as leading a society, volunteering, course rep etc? Do you have any transferrable skills you've learnt from politics such as statistical analysis using SPSS, knowledge of public policy, Excel or MS Office?

Have you done any research as to what career you want to go into? Most careers don't require a degree in. a specific subject.
Last edited by kkboyk; 1 month ago
StarLinyx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My degree was pointless I only studied it is was naive at the time thinking uni would guarantee me a good stable job. It is also how they sell it). : (( I have wasted my time and money. I was thinking of dropping out when I was doing it. Also I didn't really do well I got a 2:2. So I don't know what to do. I am confused
I suggest you get a job in retail, just to build up your CV a bit. Maybe pursue a part-time masters degree on top?
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most grads don't work in their field.
(Original post by Haider.alix)
true mate and the point is that the job is government is not necessary, he just needs to get a job in his on field, cuz thats his future
OP are you getting interviews? Also you say you've had two jobs but they lasted a week and a day respectively - why? You're going to be very unattractive to employers right now as you've done nothing for a full year. Even working in McDonald's would show some work ethic and motivation. I'm also concerned you maybe have an attitude problem if you can't hold down a job.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I graduated last year and I've struggled since, I gave up in the end and started looking for work abroad in the U.S. My back up plan is a masters degree but i feel like its really just running away from unemployment
Do you have a Visa to work in the US? If not your chances are very low - apart from the fat kids camp.

A masters degree without it being part of the plan is absolutely running away.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Do you have a Visa to work in the US? If not your chances are very low - apart from the fat kids camp.

alright big boy. i know what am doing
Anonymous #1
Hi yes of course I have a British passport. I have thought about working abroad, but I'm not sure. I need to do something than wasting my life away.:/
(Original post by StarLinyx)
I suggest you get a job in retail, just to build up your CV a bit. Maybe pursue a part-time masters degree on top?
High mate, i need a little details about you,like your home . Do you have a british passport or not, Since you aint finding a job i prefer you sending your cv to the gulf countries like the UAE because Arabs value British degree holders a lot and would you mind posting your cv here

Cheers
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Prussianxo)
so would you not recommend a degree in politics, even if you do well?
I live just outside of London. Bedfordshire. I cannot pass those tests they give
Anonymous #1
Yes "career" I need to sort out. :/
Anonymous #1
I got a 2:2 and you are telling me a masters, further study is good for me???? Even if I had 2:1 or first I'd still think masters is waste of money and time. Some people have none of that and do so well in life....
Anonymous #1
Yes if I apply I can get one ....

Anonymous #1
Yes i do, some I get nervous I just miss them. But even very manual jobs is so hard to get. Noo I don't have an attitude problem, some people are nasty to work with, they snitch and lie to the manager
(Original post by doodle_333)
Most grads don't work in their field.

OP are you getting interviews? Also you say you've had two jobs but they lasted a week and a day respectively - why? You're going to be very unattractive to employers right now as you've done nothing for a full year. Even working in McDonald's would show some work ethic and motivation. I'm also concerned you maybe have an attitude problem if you can't hold down a job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (59)
22.1%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (91)
34.08%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (57)
21.35%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (25)
9.36%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (35)
13.11%

Watched Threads