The Student Room Group

What happens if I'm hospitalised during my GCSEs?

This March I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, an inflammatory bowel disease, it's chronic so there's no cure but I'd been put on steroids temporarily, in addition to some anti-inflammatory drugs permanently so it had been getting better. I'm just finishing my round of steroids and I've under a lot of stress, both of which seem to be causing a relapse which is incredibly painful but also causes chronic fatigue meaning I'm finding it really hard to revise. I have a letter that essentially explains my condition and I think it can be given to the exam board to be more lenient with my marking. However, I'm worried at this point I'm going to end up in hospital again. I've heard that if you end up being hospitalised you are given mock grades, but my last mocks weren't very good as it was the week before I was in hospital and I was in a lot of pain and fainting constantly. Do you guys know what happens if I end up going to hospital? Could they consider another set of mocks, or even my predicted grades, would I have to retake maths/english? Also, my mum informed the school about this and they said I'd be moved but then never did, so I don't think they'd be very helpful.
I think you can get your predicted grades if your teachers give them evidence that that would've been what u would've achieved, if that makes sense.
Original post by ririroo
I think you can get your predicted grades if your teachers give them evidence that that would've been what u would've achieved, if that makes sense.

You can't be awarded predicted or mock grades.
Original post by wilde-on-my-side
This March I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, an inflammatory bowel disease, it's chronic so there's no cure but I'd been put on steroids temporarily, in addition to some anti-inflammatory drugs permanently so it had been getting better. I'm just finishing my round of steroids and I've under a lot of stress, both of which seem to be causing a relapse which is incredibly painful but also causes chronic fatigue meaning I'm finding it really hard to revise. I have a letter that essentially explains my condition and I think it can be given to the exam board to be more lenient with my marking. However, I'm worried at this point I'm going to end up in hospital again. I've heard that if you end up being hospitalised you are given mock grades, but my last mocks weren't very good as it was the week before I was in hospital and I was in a lot of pain and fainting constantly. Do you guys know what happens if I end up going to hospital? Could they consider another set of mocks, or even my predicted grades, would I have to retake maths/english? Also, my mum informed the school about this and they said I'd be moved but then never did, so I don't think they'd be very helpful.

If you miss some exams in a subject but manage to take others then a grade can be awarded based on the exam you complete. E.g. Suppose you miss the maths paper next week but are well enough to take the two remaining papers they will take your results and use them to estimate what mark you would have got in the first one to decide your grade. If you complete no exams for a subject then you cannot be awarded your mock or predicted grade, you would have to resit the subjects at the next opportunity e.g. November for maths and English, summer 2020 for other subjects.

The special consideration process which can be used if
1. You take an exam but your performance is affected by illness
Or2. You are unable to take an exam
Is described here
https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/a-guide-to-the-special-consideration-process-2018-2019
(edited 4 years ago)
we had an assembly in which we were told that you could be awarded those grades if your teachers have sufficient evidence to say that you would get that grade at GCSE.
Original post by gdunne42
You can't be awarded predicted or mock grades.
Original post by ririroo
we had an assembly in which we were told that you could be awarded those grades if your teachers have sufficient evidence to say that you would get that grade at GCSE.

the official JCQ document linked above above explains what happens for GCSE and A level.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest