The Student Room Group

I want to talk about our education system

Scroll to see replies

no one knows what to teach kids going into reception because we have jack chit idea what the job market will look like in 30 years time
Hmm I think it is tricky. Personally I enjoy being pushed at school, and I enjoy it far more than at primary. I think school should broadly teach the skills to equip the student, but i think it is the student's responsibility to be curious, ask questions and further their knowledge.
Original post by Daniel Tamosev
You may or may not have noticed that we loved learning in primary school, but as we near our GCSE's or A Levels, you may or not have noticed that this is no longer the case.

My personal and prime example is my interest in literature. Only a year ago I loved reading and analysing poems, novels, plays among other things, but now I can't stand it. English Literature has sucked the joy out of a subject that I once enjoyed and many others have as well. This is, of course, true for other subjects for all students. You may have loved science in primary school where you used to go onto the playground and look at the different species of birds, or investigating whether or not air has weight, but now you regret choosing triple science at GCSE and would do anything to drop if it wasn't too late. The hypothetical examples are endless, given that, is there something wrong with out education system? Personally, I think yes.

The modern education system has a 'one size fits all' approach, we shove students into a building, categorise them into groups based on academic ability, and expect all of them to honour and repeat the same, monotone regimen for 13 years, from primary school to sixth form, with little to no regard for their well-being or happiness. We need to understand that everyone is different, I'm not saying make a separate education system for every pupil, I'm jut saying maybe our 500 year old education system is the reason why attendance is so low, why grades are so low, today. What is the point in working students for an entire year only for them to lose motivation by the end and just completely give up on their exams?

I don't have a solution for this, I only wanted to state my opinion, which is the belief that I should allow myself to enjoy a subject and learning without being subject to standardised testing, which does nothing but prove the power of my memory and essay-writing skills, rather than my knowledge and enthusiasm of the subject. What's your opinion?
Reply 62
Oh yeah, and one more thing. Public schools should NOT be endorsing any religion whatsoever. While I wouldn't go as far as to ban religious garments in schools, stuff like organised masses, biased religious classes and selective preferences have got to go. Ireland is making great strides on the matter, banning the "baptism barrier" (although it still exists for non-catholic schools), greatly enhanced LGBTQ education and all so it's not something really concerning since the problem is being dealt with. It's apparently an issue in Britain too, is it actually true that most state schools there are not secular (ie run by the church of England?) If so, that's a disgrace for such a diverse country (for Ireland too). Replace Religion (school subject) with Philosophy (although Philosophy would deal with religions too, it would not center around them).
You may or may not have noticed that we loved learning in primary school, but as we near our GCSE's or A Levels, you may or not have noticed that this is no longer the case.

My personal and prime example is my interest in literature. Only a year ago I loved reading and analysing poems, novels, plays among other things, but now I can't stand it. English Literature has sucked the joy out of a subject that I once enjoyed and many others have as well. This is, of course, true for other subjects for all students. You may have loved science in primary school where you used to go onto the playground and look at the different species of birds, or investigating whether or not air has weight, but now you regret choosing triple science at GCSE and would do anything to drop if it wasn't too late. The hypothetical examples are endless, given that, is there something wrong with out education system? Personally, I think yes.

The modern education system has a 'one size fits all' approach, we shove students into a building, categorise them into groups based on academic ability, and expect all of them to honour and repeat the same, monotone regimen for 13 years, from primary school to sixth form, with little to no regard for their well-being or happiness. We need to understand that everyone is different, I'm not saying make a separate education system for every pupil, I'm jut saying maybe our 500 year old education system is the reason why attendance is so low, why grades are so low, today. What is the point in working students for an entire year only for them to lose motivation by the end and just completely give up on their exams?

I don't have a solution for this, I only wanted to state my opinion, which is the belief that I should allow myself to enjoy a subject and learning without being subject to standardised testing, which does nothing but prove the power of my memory and essay-writing skills, rather than my knowledge and enthusiasm of the subject. What's your opinion?

Apples and oranges. I can relate to you
I did my English Speaking on this and therefore the impact it has on the mental wellbeing of pupils. I’m very glad to have found this threat, unfortunately don’t have time to read the rest of the responses yet but I’m just gonna weigh in with my two cents. The main example I used was Nikola Tesla - a man we don’t learn much about but a notable genius. His mother was gifted with inventing / developing many household appliances and this allowed Tesla to hone his skills at a young age and go on to make the impact he did. Exhibit A of how school is not the only means for success. The biggest problem with school now is as you said, it’s made for one size fits all, - everybody is made to conform to the same machine where we are meant to have the best possible outcome to look good on the schools record, with little to no regard for most student’s mental health. Multiple studies have shown if gifted children are not taught to perfect and embrace their gifts at a young age they fall off and become worse than the average child and this is what is happening everywhere today. As everybody is expected to learn the same curriculum, do the same subjects day in day out nobody is able to express their own uniqueness and the gifted ones are falling off the curve. Then there’s the matter that we learn the most useless stuff - I agree to an extent that most of what we learn is useful but when we walk out of weeks of lessons surrounding ‘How to analyse a poem’ how many of us really say “This was useful” or something along those lines. Obviously this is subjective as for some people they may love analysing poems but not one person enjoys everything they learn - if so, I would love to meet that person.

Anyway, some of this may seem extremely random (I understand I drifted off) but those are just my two cents.
I go to a CofE school. We do have LGBTQ education, we have PSHCE "drop down" days on various topics. Our RS(religious studies) is not biased and covers religion, philosophy and ethics.
Original post by cf_99
Oh yeah, and one more thing. Public schools should NOT be endorsing any religion whatsoever. While I wouldn't go as far as to ban religious garments in schools, stuff like organised masses, biased religious classes and selective preferences have got to go. Ireland is making great strides on the matter, banning the "baptism barrier" (although it still exists for non-catholic schools), greatly enhanced LGBTQ education and all so it's not something really concerning since the problem is being dealt with. It's apparently an issue in Britain too, is it actually true that most state schools there are not secular (ie run by the church of England?) If so, that's a disgrace for such a diverse country (for Ireland too). Replace Religion (school subject) with Philosophy (although Philosophy would deal with religions too, it would not center around them).
Reply 66
Oh, I know that. It's not actually a serious issue and it's being talked about enough so that I shouldn't have bothered mentioning it. Sorry.

i mean the education system is really annoying ow because it is shown as meritocratic however it is not....many people began to underestimate themselves as soon as they fail any exams....we were never told to focus much on education or pressurized until year 10 began and after wards it just became a pile o stress that builds up....the GCSE or A level do determine whether we move on to higher education but now they have become sooo importation that failing them feels like we have no life anymore....not many sixth form or colleges stress apprenticeships mainly because they want to make their school look like they are soo good and sent sooo many students to universities as no open wants to talk about apprenteships... education system is become more competitive in negetive way rather than positive
AH MAN I AGREE. I used to love history but it's decreased because I'm not good at it at an assessment level. English is better though but I don't read books for enjoyment anymore bc all I think about is "PLOSIVE" "METAPHOR" etc. Could we just go back to the olden days, I want a farm.

Reply 69
Original post by cf_99

Or investigate the claims of philosophies such as Nichiren Buddhism which makes no claims about an almighty 'god'!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending