Peaceful vs Violent Protest Civil Rights Movement - Which one was more effective? Watch

tmmk9461
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Within the Civil Rights movement time there were many peaceful and violent protests.

Which one do you think were more effective and why?
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Violence and civil disobedience are more effective. I can't actually think of any instances where lawful, peaceful protest has significantly changed anything.

Ultimately, hit the state in the wallet and then they will start paying attention. The IRA figured that one out when they started bombing major financial targets in London, and were costing the British government and economy billions of pounds in damages. The Good Friday agreement, which handed a lot of power to Republicans, followed pretty soon after.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Moved to Society.
(Original post by tmmk9461)
Within the Civil Rights movement time there were many peaceful and violent protests.

stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tmmk9461)

Violence and 'civil disobedience' can turn those who were neutral about the issue into developing negative opinions of movements that the trouble makers support.

Then again civil disobedience can be more effective in pressuring a government/organisation to do what the protestors asking them to do.

There are advantages and disadvantages to this. A good example of this is the suffragists and suffragettes movement. The suffragettes used a lot more millitant and violent tactics than the suffragists.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wōden)
Violence and civil disobedience are more effective. I can't actually think of any instances where lawful, peaceful protest has significantly changed anything.
Hmm, how about the colour revolutions? Or the American civil rights movement(s)?
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Both can work, and both did work in the civil rights movement.

There is a simple equation for working out whether protests will succeed:

What causes a bigger problem for those in power:
The protest
Or
Enacting the demands of the protestors

unless there is a particular ideological barrier stopping those in power from acting, as long as the protest causes more of a problem then their demands, they will likely win in the long run.

Both a peaceful and non-peaceful protest have the potential to cause major problems. A peaceful protest can change minds, creating a huge problem for those in charge if they are part of a democratic system, the violent protest obviously causes physical and practical problems.

I imagine it's optimal to have both happening
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads

Latest