didaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A pile driver, shown in the diagram, of mass 400 kg is allowed to fall from rest through a distance of 2 m on to a 300 kg concrete pile to drive it into the ground. Each impact drives the pile into the ground by a further 100 mm. (Assume acceleration due to gravity g=9.81m/s2).
Assuming that the pile driver remains in contact with the pile after impact and that momentum is conserved, use the principle of conservation of energy to calculate:

1. a. The kinetic energy of the driver and pile combination immediately after impact.
  2. b. The change in potential energy of the driver and pile combination on moving into the ground.
  3. c. The average ******ing force that brings the pile and driver to rest, ensuring use of the principle of conservation of energy.
  4. d.Using D’Alembert’s principle, solve the same problem

5. e.Compare and contrast the use of the ‘principle of conservation of energy’ and ‘D’Alembert’s principle’ for solving this problem.

i think i know the answer to a, b and c i will post a picture of my working out. but i dont know how to go about answering question d i think i will get the same answers for kinetic and potential energy but i dont know how to work out the rest. Any help would be realy appreciated
Attached files
didaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
updated working out
Attached files
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by didaw)
updated working out
For (a), you need to know that the driver and pile undergo inelastic collision NOT elastic collision.

For (c), you did not show that you are using conservation of energy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.78%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads