Is it ever acceptable for a supposed 'straight' guy to address your sexuality? Watch

Diversencounters
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Now what I mean by this is, I've had a situation come up where a guy has nervously told me he likes girls. Now here is the thing, I haven't done anything for the guy to address this. Like at all, and the convo is doing my nut in because I feel you need to do something pretty severe for a supposed 'straight' dude to bring up your sexuality. Like I am a pretty reserved guy, quiet and didn't give off any major signs of interest, never asked him out, never expressed my feelings, never touched him or looked at him longingly not in my nature so is it really acceptable for a straight dude to address someones sexuality unless something major has happened? if anything it makes dealing with this individual uncomfortable. The convo didn't help me, I just feel embarrassed.Said straight dude since hasn't left me alone on social media, he's messaging quite a bit about random things and copying everything I am doing on my FB account too, so could really use advice.

P.s I put supposed straight dude because for awhile now he has been giving me signs of interest, looking at me constantly, making more of an effort with me than anyone else. It's pretty confusing.
GuyHasABoyfriend
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My best guess would have to be that he's gay himself and has a crush on you. That would explain the awkwardness, the longing stares and the need to assert he is straight. I would confront him but make it clear that you are not judgemental even if you privately are. This way he will likely open up about things.
Coolkitkat23
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
im a straight girl. Last year i nearly slapped someone (no im not a homophobe) she told me, while talking behind my friends back, 'why are you so concerned? Are you lesbian?' this was infront of my friend who is bisexual... I didnt speak, neither did she. I hated the conversation cause she started to talk about sex, I just walked out of the room, thank god I am going a different sixth form. Anyways your sexuality is your concern, no one else.
(Original post by Diversencounters)
Now what I mean by this is, I've had a situation come up where a guy has nervously told me he likes girls. Now here is the thing, I haven't done anything for the guy to address this. Like at all, and the convo is doing my nut in because I feel you need to do something pretty severe for a supposed 'straight' dude to bring up your sexuality. Like I am a pretty reserved guy, quiet and didn't give off any major signs of interest, never asked him out, never expressed my feelings, never touched him or looked at him longingly not in my nature so is it really acceptable for a straight dude to address someones sexuality unless something major has happened? if anything it makes dealing with this individual uncomfortable. The convo didn't help me, I just feel embarrassed.Said straight dude since hasn't left me alone on social media, he's messaging quite a bit about random things and copying everything I am doing on my FB account too, so could really use advice.

P.s I put supposed straight dude because for awhile now he has been giving me signs of interest, looking at me constantly, making more of an effort with me than anyone else. It's pretty confusing.
Athenaxx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I feel like he might be bi or bicurious tbh, he said he "likes girls" but he never said he doesn't like guys either xD You never know
RV3112
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Diversencounters)

It seems pretty clear that this "supposed straight dude" doesn't have an issue with your sexuality or he wouldn't be messaging you or interacting with you on social media.

Taking this into account, is it possible you are overreacting slightly to just one conversation? In a nutshell, all he did was clarify his sexuality - it's not even clear from your post what context this remark was made in. I'm sorry it made you feel embarrassed, but it just doesn't seem that was what he intended to do. He seems to like you as a friend.

Are you interested in him? If so, this might be why you are attracting greater significance to his behaviour than it perhaps warrants.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (239)
14.82%
The paper was reasonable (900)
55.8%
Not feeling great about that exam... (354)
21.95%
It was TERRIBLE (120)
7.44%

Watched Threads