The Student Room Group

have you ever been scammed before?

I am going around looking at different threads about people being scammed as it amuses me (I know it sounds crazy) but I am so interested in reading upon people's experiences of how they were scammed.

I recently ordered something online and I'm on the edge.. I don't like to order things online for many reasons but this time I decided to because I really wanted the item and there is no shops that sell it. With how everything is going regarding my item I am in fear that I will be scammed. I have spent almost £60 on this item including the shipping fee and for me, that's A-LOT of money especially for someone who does not work nor have a job but relies on the student loan lol.

Yep! When i ordered my item I did intensive research, I looked on YouTube, google, forums, the site and etc and read all possible reviews I could from this company. Some reviews were negative and some reviews were extremely positive almost sounding like bots 🤨... I am told by the seller that my item is expected to be delivered next week. The seller did not even provide me with a shipping tracking number where I could track my item or anything, so I'm literally sleeping and sitting at the edge of the bed just waiting for some kind of trust worthy update. The warehouse (where the company is at) closes at 5PM from Monday-Friday, they don't ship on the weekends so like I said I'm on the edge. I don't have the seller's contact information bc I was not provided with it, I only have the company's email address, and I'm sure they won't get back to me every time I email them 😫

But anyway, that's my current situation of what I am enduring.. I haven't been scammed just yet because they haven't taken the money out of my bank account.
I'm assuming they will have to deliver the item here first before they take the money.

But if anyone has any experiences on when they were scammed feel free to comment, as I enjoy reading them☺️

Scroll to see replies

I opened a multi pack of 10 walkers ready salted crisps.I was scammed there were only 9.:biggrin:
only once a million years ago when we had those old mobile phones and it was popular to have fancy ringtones so i bought one offline and they didn't give me my ringtone

conned me out of 60p it did :mad:
only things that come to mind:

when I was 8 - I was in Egypt.. a man gave me a book before entering a tomb.. I took it as any kid would, no kid turns down a present. When I came out he said I bought it, and demanded money.

When I was 13 - I bought a guqin off ebay, which turned out to be fake.

One of the birthday presents I bought my wife last christmas from ebay turned out to be an utter sham - it was meant to be a pair of furry white boots, but it was a pair of black wellies with some thin peices of fur stuck to them. Was only £20 quid though, so instead of sending them back, I bought my wife some propper ones, and still wrapped up the crap ones as well, which gave us a good laugh on christmas morning

When I was a kid - don't know how old, I believed one of those fake scratch cards that always say you won.. I phoned them up, and probably spent around £5-10 on phone bills until my parents came in and realized..

Not financial, but it stung... When I was about 8-9, I traded all of my pokemon cards for a set of shiny cards with an older boy I met on holiday. When I got home one of my friends realised that they were fake - they were printed stickers that had been stuck on the front of random pokemon cards to make them look shinny...

That's about all that I can think of.

Recently ive avoided a fair few big scams though. One pyramid scheme type thing that my wifes friend was desperatly trying to get my wife to pursuade me to invest in, turned out to be completly fraudulant.. and a 'crypto-currency' investment that a family member of my wife was doing, that all disapeared into nothing after a few months, leaving him a few grand shorter. He also asked us to get involved.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah, there called A-levels 10/10 do NOT recommend
what website did you use? You don't need to reveal the item, but if you post the website, I am sure you will get much better advice about weather it was fraudlant or just bad service.

I had a case about 2 years ago, where I was sure I had been scammed because an item just didn't show up.. I gave up on it, and then one day a week or so later - there it was. Turned out to just be awful service.. they didn't tell me that they had run out of stock and had to get more.. and never contacted me throughout.
When I was in the womb I was having a great time swimming in there
Was in for a shock when I tasted air for the first time
Suing my mum
Original post by commentsection
I am going around looking at different threads about people being scammed as it amuses me (I know it sounds crazy) but I am so interested in reading upon people's experiences of how they were scammed.

I recently ordered something online and I'm on the edge.. I don't like to order things online for many reasons but this time I decided to because I really wanted the item and there is no shops that sell it. With how everything is going regarding my item I am in fear that I will be scammed. I have spent almost £60 on this item including the shipping fee and for me, that's A-LOT of money especially for someone who does not work nor have a job but relies on the student loan lol.

Yep! When i ordered my item I did intensive research, I looked on YouTube, google, forums, the site and etc and read all possible reviews I could from this company. Some reviews were negative and some reviews were extremely positive almost sounding like bots 🤨... I am told by the seller that my item is expected to be delivered next week. The seller did not even provide me with a shipping tracking number where I could track my item or anything, so I'm literally sleeping and sitting at the edge of the bed just waiting for some kind of trust worthy update. The warehouse (where the company is at) closes at 5PM from Monday-Friday, they don't ship on the weekends so like I said I'm on the edge. I don't have the seller's contact information bc I was not provided with it, I only have the company's email address, and I'm sure they won't get back to me every time I email them 😫

But anyway, that's my current situation of what I am enduring.. I haven't been scammed just yet because they haven't taken the money out of my bank account.
I'm assuming they will have to deliver the item here first before they take the money.

But if anyone has any experiences on when they were scammed feel free to comment, as I enjoy reading them☺️

What is the website you ordered from? It sounds like you ordered something from a seller on a website, rather than from the website itself, is that correct?

Loads of small online businesses can take a while to send items out (especially if they don't have many employees). Seems odd though that they haven't taken a payment yet...
Reply 8
my friends has booked a hall for my 16th surprise party. in the midst of people having fun, the organisers came and chased everyone out insisting that no one paid. :frown:( we had to move the party to my house at last minute & loads of people just went home
Original post by meipwrk
my friends has booked a hall for my 16th surprise party. in the midst of people having fun, the organisers came and chased everyone out insisting that no one paid. :frown:( we had to move the party to my house at last minute & loads of people just went home

Did they actually pay though?
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Did they actually pay though?

yes, they went to the bank afterwards and it was definitely fraud
No, unlike the 17.4 million scammed by a message on the side of a bus.
Bought an iPod off eBay. Seller never sent the iPod. Managed to get my money back and the seller's account was banned.
Almost...
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Almost...

Catfished? :laugh:
Original post by PhylaVell
Catfished? :laugh:

Lol, nope
I got £1,400 charged to my credit card, but it was investigated and I got the money back that wasn't me - it was obvious based on the transactions, as I previously always used my card in the same places, and only those places.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
What is the website you ordered from? It sounds like you ordered something from a seller on a website, rather than from the website itself, is that correct?

Loads of small online businesses can take a while to send items out (especially if they don't have many employees). Seems odd though that they haven't taken a payment yet...

I ordered the item from the actual site not through the seller. I received an email like yesterday saying the 'seller has shipped your item ... etc' so I was assuming that the seller must be one of the employees from the company.
Update: So my item came today and I am REALLY happy with it. The item is NOT a catfish and is totally worth my money. And hey, I didn't get scammed so it's all Gucci!
Reply 19
Nope.

Quick Reply

Latest