Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My possible IB options are:
Option 1:
HL Biology-HL Chemistry-HL Maths-SL Business-SL English-SL French
Option 2:
HL Physics-HL Maths-HL Business-SL Chemistry-SL English-SL French

The problem I face is I don't know what career I want to pursue. I want my future job to be a job where I can experiment and involves math. The only aspect I don't enjoy about biology is the long answer questions but at IB don't you have to write long essays no matter what subject you decide. I need help deciding. I would love for a job that invovles DNA and working in a lab, but always has a relatively high salary. Please help me.
tabithas
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Heya, 2nd Year IBDP student,
if you want to be working with DNA and in a lab, which I'm assuming means a scientist or working within the biological sciences, and if you want to get into a good university I would recommend taking TWO sciences HL and at least one of them being Biology. This would lead you more towards Option 1. However, and I say this to everyone I recommend subjects for, I would highly advise against taking HL Maths and opting for SL instead. It is difficult beyond anything you can imagine and is often regarded as the hardest IBDP subject you can take (except further maths HL, I shudder to even comprehend what that is). I do feel the need to point out, though, that taking two sciences is extremely challenging as well, as someone who takes Biology HL the content you need to memorise is extensive and arduous and my friend who does Chem HL has to study every day to fully understand what's been taught to her. In Biology you will only be asked two long answer questions for P2 and that's it. The DP program is really no joke, it wears you down like nothing else! In your case, I say take Option One but swap Maths HL with Business HL or English HL, whichever is stronger for you. The content you learn at Maths SL should be enough to see you through with your future career. All the best of luck x
Last edited by tabithas; 1 month ago
IB PRO
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Zyloo,

As tabithas pointed out, 2 sciences and HL Math is about the most difficult path possible, HOWEVER I know many students that have done it and done it successfully (42 points +). Please don't be frightened by the DP: yes it is incredibly hard, but if you want the best diploma program out there, then be prepared to work. Also, the career you are imagining will be a piece of cake after successfully completing the DP.

You might consider HL Bio and Chem, but perhaps drop Math to SL. Here is a question I always students who are considering HL Math: when doing HW, what is the fist subject you choose to do? If it's Math, and you love Math, go for it. If you dread it and leave it for later? Math HL will consume you.

Feel free to reach out for more info! (I'm a former IB Coordinator, secondary principal, ToK and DP English Lit teacher and DP examiner now running a consulting company).

Cheers,
Rob
(Original post by Zyloo)
My possible IB options are:
Option 1:
HL Biology-HL Chemistry-HL Maths-SL Business-SL English-SL French
Option 2:
HL Physics-HL Maths-HL Business-SL Chemistry-SL English-SL French

The problem I face is I don't know what career I want to pursue. I want my future job to be a job where I can experiment and involves math. The only aspect I don't enjoy about biology is the long answer questions but at IB don't you have to write long essays no matter what subject you decide. I need help deciding. I would love for a job that invovles DNA and working in a lab, but always has a relatively high salary. Please help me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (51)
22.27%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (78)
34.06%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (48)
20.96%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (20)
8.73%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
13.97%

Watched Threads