Working full time and doing a masters dissertation

Watch
clshadowhunter
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, i was looking to see if anyone has been a position where they were working full time whilst doing their masters dissertation? And if so if they managed it? The only way financially i can do a masters if i work full time from at least June onwards. I would aim to get as much done as I could before working but im aware it may not be possible. Was looking to see if anyone else had managed. This dissertation i believe is 10,000 words.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by clshadowhunter)
Hi, i was looking to see if anyone has been a position where they were working full time whilst doing their masters dissertation? And if so if they managed it? The only way financially i can do a masters if i work full time from at least June onwards. I would aim to get as much done as I could before working but im aware it may not be possible. Was looking to see if anyone else had managed. This dissertation i believe is 10,000 words.
Moved to Postgraduate Support.

Some courses do their dissertations during the spring academic term (usually the term before Easter), while others do their dissertations from June to September. Check with your university to see what you will be required to do for your specific course. In the former scenario, you wouldn't have to work and do your dissertation at the same time at all.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on your discipline, work ethic, and how much work is to go into your disso.

In other words, we don't know. It will obviously be easier to complete master's disso without the ft work -- but you can work evenings and weekends.

Have you looked at scholarships?
chaotic1328
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you are not planning to do any fieldwork and the dissertation is in the summer term, then I'd say that the 10000-word essay shouldn't affect your ability to work full time. I did a full time Master's whilst working long hours, and it worked out well for me. The length of my dissertation was 15000 words.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there clshadowhunter

Like the other great replies you've already had, I can only offer my personal experience of working and studying a Masters.

I did an MRes, so was in the classroom less but was expected to independently study much more. I had 2 jobs during my course, one of which was on campus so I could drop hours as and when I needed them for dissertation writing etc. It can be done, but mine had the dissertation and testing element over the summer when the undergraduates had left so i was easier to plan and work around this. Maybe check the course you're interested in will allow for this?

Please feel free to message any further questions you may have and good luck!

Fiona :horse:
clshadowhunter
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the replies. I would be willing to give up my social life for those few months and dedicate days of to dissertation but also try and get as much prepared as I can beforehand. It says my dissertation would be done in semester 3.
clshadowhunter
Rep:
?
My uni doesn't offer any scholarships for UK students. I have tried to look elsewhere but do you know of any places?
(Original post by Notoriety)
Depends on your discipline, work ethic, and how much work is to go into your disso.

In other words, we don't know. It will obviously be easier to complete master's disso without the ft work -- but you can work evenings and weekends.

Have you looked at scholarships?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for all the replies. I would be willing to give up my social life for those few months and dedicate days of to dissertation but also try and get as much prepared as I can beforehand. It says my dissertation would be done in semester 3.
It depends on what sort of requirements your diss has.

For me, mine atm is just a textual analysis so no field work or methodology I have to analyse and test, etc.

I work 16hrs a week but I have silly times. I think if you're determined have have the strength to do both go for it. But a Master's diss is very intense. So I'd suggest doing a job that isn't demanding - so something like retail or supermarket would be ideal. But even so, working full-time is demanding either on your mind or/and body.

I work 16 hrs a week and I barely have a social life because I'm either too tired or spending my time on my diss. If you are really prepared to cut off your social life (I think it would be detrimental to do this as this would probably be your only way to relieve elements of stress) then go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.44%
I'm not sure (41)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (283)
30.27%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (452)
48.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise