Post graduate medical degree with an arts degree Watch

jamie1432
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a law student in my penultimate year, predicted a first and have the 3 sciences at higher level with AAAAABB. I’m fairly sure law is an arts degree. Is there anyone who has gotten in with an arts degree to medicine as a post graduate? Can you give me advice aside from work experience to strengthen my application?

Thank you!
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jamie1432)
I am a law student in my penultimate year, predicted a first and have the 3 sciences at higher level with AAAAABB. I’m fairly sure law is an arts degree. Is there anyone who has gotten in with an arts degree to medicine as a post graduate? Can you give me advice aside from work experience to strengthen my application?

Thank you!
- Apply to med schools which accept all degrees.
- Do well in the admissions exams.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above, there are GEM courses that don't require a STEM degree (e.g. Warwick and Cambridge), however most that don't require a STEM degree will require either a) some equivalent to A-levels in chemistry and another science (usually biology); an approved Access to Medicine course can be acceptable for this or b) that you take the GAMSAT. An Access course or applying only to GAMSAT courses would probably be the cheapest options compared to sitting A-levels after your degree, as they normally require you to take the science endorsement as well which can be pricey.

With option a) you can also apply to undergraduate entry medicine courses in competition with school leavers. GEM courses are extremely competitive so as I understand most GEM applicants also apply to one or more standard entry courses to maximise their chances, if they can afford the course if they were made an offer. Bear in mind though that there is less funding available for standard entry medicine as a graduate (I believe you only get maintenance loan for the first three years, whereas for GEM you get full funding except you pay the first £3k of tuition fees in first year).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (36)
24.66%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (51)
34.93%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (25)
17.12%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (11)
7.53%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (23)
15.75%

Watched Threads