Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, for question 3cii on this paper, I got 140, yet in the ms it seems to include 289 in the calculation yet in the table it says 298? I cant tell if the ms is just wrong or not? thanks https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com...s%201%20QP.pdf
MrMoment
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Remember, when considering fluorine- bond dissociation enthalpy is double atomisation enthalpy:

Atomisation:
1/2F2(g) -> F(g)

Bond dissoc:
F2(g) -> 2F-(g)

The difference between your answer and the MS being roughly a factor of 2 makes me think that this could be your error.
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
I mean I got an answer of 140 but the ms gets a different answer. I dont get what they've done in the ms. Also, the answer in the ms wasn't 298, I was just saying within the calculation should have 298 but the ms used 289.

Also, in the equation for bond dissociation, why is it 2f-(g) and not 2f(g)? Why are they ions?
(Original post by MrMoment)
Remember, when considering fluorine- bond dissociation enthalpy is double atomisation enthalpy:

Atomisation:
1/2F2(g) -> F(g)

Bond dissoc:
F2(g) -> 2F-(g)

The difference between your answer and the MS being roughly a factor of 2 makes me think that this could be your error.
hassan1236945
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yep just realised the MS uses 289 not 298 so it must be a typo. Just did it using the questions numbers and got (70*2)
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
yeah that's what I got too. thanks for the help
(Original post by hassan1236945)
Yep just realised the MS uses 289 not 298 so it must be a typo. Just did it using the questions numbers and got (70*2)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
17.89%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (26)
27.37%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (9)
9.47%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (10)
10.53%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
5.26%
I think it's an unfair expectation (26)
27.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
2.11%

Watched Threads