Some advice for financial support methods for Undergrad International Students? Watch

Aria647
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I need some help in figuring some things out...

So, I'll have to respond to universities soon about my firm choice and backup choice, and my main concern lies on lack of funds...

So I've got offers from Edinburgh Uni (I really want to go here because of its flexibility and all it has to offer, but it lacks in financial support compared to other universities), Manchester Uni, QMU and Warwick.

In terms of financial backing QMU and Manchester seem better, but I've heard a handful of negatives of the area around QMU and I have my reservations about the degree I chose for Manchester Uni. I dont really have much of an idea about Warwick though. (My chosen degree for all four university is Computer Science- with Manchester being the only one having variation of CS(Human-computer interaction))

I'm planning on maintaining a part time job, as well as freelancing as a designer(Logo, Website, other things) and I'll open up a student bank account for any extra loans I might need, but I'm still unsure if that'll be enough to financially back me up for all four years? My parents would pay half the fees, but I need to muster the second half myself. I am a miser, but I don't want to cut back too far with my health and other necessities at least. I will probably take up summer school alongside summer jobs, and then I have to take note of rent and other expenditures. My family wants to avoid the loan option as far as possible, but...

Say, if I choose Edinburgh(dream uni out of my options) as my firm choice, and get the scores to meet my conditional offer (hopefully), the frees for int students are still tremendous.

What other things can I do to gather funds throughout the year while maintaining my studies? What can I do now to start up? It is even possible?
Any advice please?
Thanks in advance.
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aria647)
Hi! I need some help in figuring some things out...

So, I'll have to respond to universities soon about my firm choice and backup choice, and my main concern lies on lack of funds...

So I've got offers from Edinburgh Uni (I really want to go here because of its flexibility and all it has to offer, but it lacks in financial support compared to other universities), Manchester Uni, QMU and Warwick.

In terms of financial backing QMU and Manchester seem better, but I've heard a handful of negatives of the area around QMU and I have my reservations about the degree I chose for Manchester Uni. I dont really have much of an idea about Warwick though. (My chosen degree for all four university is Computer Science- with Manchester being the only one having variation of CS(Human-computer interaction))

I'm planning on maintaining a part time job, as well as freelancing as a designer(Logo, Website, other things) and I'll open up a student bank account for any extra loans I might need, but I'm still unsure if that'll be enough to financially back me up for all four years? My parents would pay half the fees, but I need to muster the second half myself. I am a miser, but I don't want to cut back too far with my health and other necessities at least. I will probably take up summer school alongside summer jobs, and then I have to take note of rent and other expenditures. My family wants to avoid the loan option as far as possible, but...

Say, if I choose Edinburgh(dream uni out of my options) as my firm choice, and get the scores to meet my conditional offer (hopefully), the frees for int students are still tremendous.

What other things can I do to gather funds throughout the year while maintaining my studies? What can I do now to start up? It is even possible?
Any advice please?
Thanks in advance.
It'd be very difficult to pay half your tuition and your living costs just from part time work so going to the cheaper university might be a better idea for you.
Aria647
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
It'd be very difficult to pay half your tuition and your living costs just from part time work so going to the cheaper university might be a better idea for you.
Like QMU? I've heard living expenses there is high considering its in London, but fees wise its cheaper by around six thousand pounds to Edinburgh, and more if I score the scholarship.

Other than part time jobs, loans and freelancing, what other alternatives can I approach for funding?
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aria647)
Like QMU? I've heard living expenses there is high considering its in London, but fees wise its cheaper by around six thousand pounds to Edinburgh, and more if I score the scholarship.

Other than part time jobs, loans and freelancing, what other alternatives can I approach for funding?
6k difference would really help you with living costs, apart from scholarships there's not much else, funding is limited for international students
Aria647
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
6k difference would really help you with living costs, apart from scholarships there's not much else, funding is limited for international students
I see....

Tysm for the answer ^^
Last edited by Aria647; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?