Do I finally need therapy? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've been really suffering with anxiety and I've just kind of thought of it as part of my personality/life. However, now I've had more frequent panic attacks with exam stress, and they've been lasting hours with delirium etc. It might sound stupid that I'm saying do I need therapy because I feel like the obvious answer would be yes, but does it really help? I'm just worrying that further addressing the situation might make it worse!

A few weeks ago I got so stressed that I banged my head against a wall (a common theme recently) and had mild concussion so went to the doctor, and they recommended therapy but I'm still so uncertain about it + my parents haven't really sorted anything out with me/discussed it and I'm too afraid to mention.

I promise I'm not asking for sympathy but any experience/advice/opinions would be much appreciated. Cheers
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go for it. You get out what you put in so you do need to be prepared to work at it (if thoughts etc were easy to change it wouldn't exist!) and it does depend on your therapist a bit but well worth a go. Do it now before things get any worse
StormyOcean
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Therapy is never easy but it can help. It sounds like things are quite difficult right now and from the fact you hurt yourself bad enough to cause concussion suggests it might be a good idea. Best place to start is to talk to your GP. They will be able to let you know what is available and what is best for you. There are lots of different areas of support, each suiting different people. Having your parents on board may really help so it might be good to chat with them. If that feels too hard you could write them a letter or text them. They might be able to help by letting you know if they identify anything that might contribute to your problems and helping find ways to resolve this.

I wish you lots of luck in recovery. The fact you have got this far and are accepting you may need a bit of help is arguable the hardest part so you should be really proud of yourself
Anonymous #1
Thank you!! I will 100% look into it more
(Original post by furryface12)
Go for it. You get out what you put in so you do need to be prepared to work at it (if thoughts etc were easy to change it wouldn't exist!) and it does depend on your therapist a bit but well worth a go. Do it now before things get any worse
Anonymous #1
Thank you so much!! I’ll definitely find a time to tell my parents and see my GP again
(Original post by StormyOcean)
Therapy is never easy but it can help. It sounds like things are quite difficult right now and from the fact you hurt yourself bad enough to cause concussion suggests it might be a good idea. Best place to start is to talk to your GP. They will be able to let you know what is available and what is best for you. There are lots of different areas of support, each suiting different people. Having your parents on board may really help so it might be good to chat with them. If that feels too hard you could write them a letter or text them. They might be able to help by letting you know if they identify anything that might contribute to your problems and helping find ways to resolve this.

I wish you lots of luck in recovery. The fact you have got this far and are accepting you may need a bit of help is arguable the hardest part so you should be really proud of yourself
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (36)
24.66%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (51)
34.93%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (25)
17.12%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (11)
7.53%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (23)
15.75%

Watched Threads