Tons of questions Watch

Rightongg
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, I'm looking to apply for LSE this year for 2020 start. But few things are confusing me.

1. Do GCSEs matter as much?
I achieved a 7, 77, 6,6,6,6,B,B, A*, but Im planning to get an A*A*A* for my subjects ( Mathematics, Economics and Business studies), will I be at a higher chance then?

2. I'm planning to study Financial Mathematics and Statistics, or Mathematics, Statistics and Business, however I lack a Further Maths qualification so far, is it needed? If so will doing it at AS in Year 13 bring me back up?
Last edited by Rightongg; 1 month ago
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rightongg)
Hey, I'm looking to apply for LSE this year for 2020 start. But few things are confusing me.

I achieved a 7, 77, 6,6,6,6,B,B, A*, but Im planning to get an A*A*A* for my subjects ( Mathematics, Economics and Business studies), will I be at a higher chance then?

2. I'm planning to study Financial Mathematics and Statistics, or Mathematics, Statistics and Business, however I lack a Further Maths qualification so far, is it needed? If so will doing it at AS in Year 13 bring me back up?
They ask for several a*s and as and there will be applicants with more than four but if the rest of your choices are lower entry requirements then have it as an aspirational choice. Yes if it's an option they expect you to take further maths as if not the a level. They mention it in the subject combination section http://www.lse.ac.uk/Study-at-LSE/Un...and-Statistics
Rightongg
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
They ask for several a*s and as and there will be applicants with more than four but if the rest of your choices are lower entry requirements then have it as an aspirational choice. Yes if it's an option they expect you to take further maths as if not the a level. They mention it in the subject combination section http://www.lse.ac.uk/Study-at-LSE/Un...and-Statistics
Are you referring to question 1?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you referring to question 1?
question 2, the link shows what they feel about a level combinations.
Rightongg
Rep:
?
question 2, the link shows what they feel about a level combinations.
So it's fine to take AS level FM next year? Even if I didn't take A level, since I'm not doing it in Y12.

Also about GCSEs?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So it's fine to take AS level FM next year? Even if I didn't take A level, since I'm not doing it in Y12.

Also about GCSEs?
if you school will let you yes. They want numerous as/a*s at gcse so it's an aspirational choice but you can try
Rightongg
Rep:
?
if you school will let you yes. They want numerous as/a*s at gcse so it's an aspirational choice but you can try
Is it possible to compensate for these GCSEs with a : good personal statement, good references, extra curiculars and A*A*A* for predicted A levels?
Last edited by Rightongg; 1 month ago
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it possible to compensate for these GCSEs with a : good personal statement, good references, extra curiculars and A*A*A* for predicted A levels?
Ideally they d be looking for all of those with the GCSEs
Rightongg
Rep:
?
Ideally they d be looking for all of those with the GCSEs
I've seen people say they are willing to look over your GCSEs if other things do shine out?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've seen people say they are willing to look over your GCSEs if other things do shine out?
GCSEs
LSE is quite inconsistent with GCSEs. Every year, people with similar GCSEs to yours are rejected on the basis of their GCSEs, but others with similarly low GCSEs will get offers (you'll see this happening if you read through the thread.)

So a good personal statement and top A-level predictions showing an upward trajectory can lead them to overlook your GCSEs, but not necessarily. It's impossible to predict.

A-levels
Unfortunately, another factor that will count against you is your A-level subject choices. You take only 3 subjects including Economics and Business Studies, which LSE regards as "overlapping subjects" (i.e. too similar) - this may well put you at a disadvantage.

Regarding Further Maths, it's not ideal that you haven't taken the A-level (if it's not on offer at your school) but from the info on the website I think taking AS FM next year would suffice. I can't find any data for the Financial Maths & Stats course, but for Economics, the offer rates for those with AS FM & full A-level FM are pretty much identical.
Rightongg
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
GCSEs
LSE is quite inconsistent with GCSEs. Every year, people with similar GCSEs to yours are rejected on the basis of their GCSEs, but others with similarly low GCSEs will get offers (you'll see this happening if you read through the thread.)

So a good personal statement and top A-level predictions showing an upward trajectory can lead them to overlook your GCSEs, but not necessarily. It's impossible to predict.

A-levels
Unfortunately, another factor that will count against you is your A-level subject choices. You take only 3 subjects including Economics and Business Studies, which LSE regards as "overlapping subjects" (i.e. too similar) - this may well put you at a disadvantage.

Regarding Further Maths, it's not ideal that you haven't taken the A-level (if it's not on offer at your school) but from the info on the website I think taking AS FM next year would suffice. I can't find any data for the Financial Maths & Stats course, but for Economics, the offer rates for those with AS FM & full A-level FM are pretty much identical.
GCSEs
I see, thanks for telling me, so it is possible to compensate?

Would A*A*A* be a strong comeback? I presume not a lot of applicants get such grades. But by an upward trajectory, you mean the July mock exams ( based for predictions) and another set in November right, with consistent high grades in Year 13?

A-levels
Not doubting you, but I remember seeing how LSE is fine with 2 preferred subjects then offering a non-preferred, or does that still keep me at a disadvantage?

My school does do A-level further maths, but I did not take it. I'm debating if I need to take AS to compensate, would that be enough?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
GCSEs
I see, thanks for telling me, so it is possible to compensate?

Would A*A*A* be a strong comeback? I presume not a lot of applicants get such grades. But by an upward trajectory, you mean the July mock exams ( based for predictions) and another set in November right, with consistent high grades in Year 13?

A-levels
Not doubting you, but I remember seeing how LSE is fine with 2 preferred subjects then offering a non-preferred, or does that still keep me at a disadvantage?

My school does do A-level further maths, but I did not take it. I'm debating if I need to take AS to compensate, would that be enough?
GCSEs
- My point is that top A-levels sometimes are enough to compensate, and other times they're not.
- Obviously, A*A*A* (plus an A in AS FM) is the best you can do. I would say though - most of the people I know at LSE doing Econ/Maths type courses have straight A*s or almost straight A*s at A-level. Those grades are pretty common among applicants to top universities like LSE.
- By "upward trajectory" I'm not talking about your mocks. I'm talking about the fact that you are doing better at A-level than you did at GCSE.

A-levels
- I'm not talking about the fact that business studies is a non-preferred subject. I'm talking about something else entirely - overlapping subjects. The fact that business studies is a non-preferred subject doesn't matter; the fact that it overlaps with economics does matter. Basically, because Economics and Business Studies are similar subjects, and LSE prefer you to have a broader A-level curriculum, the fact that you have those subjects as 2 of your 3 (and don't have a fourth full A-level to compensate) will put you at a disadvantage.
- I explained my view about whether it would be enough above - did you read that? I said AS-level FM should suffice. I think your chances without AS FM are pretty much zero.
Rightongg
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
GCSEs
- My point is that top A-levels sometimes are enough to compensate, and other times they're not.
- Obviously, A*A*A* (plus an A in AS FM) is the best you can do. I would say though - most of the people I know at LSE doing Econ/Maths type courses have straight A*s or almost straight A*s at A-level. Those grades are pretty common among applicants to top universities like LSE.
- By "upward trajectory" I'm not talking about your mocks. I'm talking about the fact that you are doing better at A-level than you did at GCSE.

A-levels
- I'm not talking about the fact that business studies is a non-preferred subject. I'm talking about something else entirely - overlapping subjects. The fact that business studies is a non-preferred subject doesn't matter; the fact that it overlaps with economics does matter. Basically, because Economics and Business Studies are similar subjects, and LSE prefer you to have a broader A-level curriculum, the fact that you have those subjects as 2 of your 3 (and don't have a fourth full A-level to compensate) will put you at a disadvantage.
- I explained my view about whether it would be enough above - did you read that? I said AS-level FM should suffice. I think your chances without AS FM are pretty much zero.
GCSEs
Alright thanks, I understood. But I was referring to the actual grades "A*A*A*", I doubt many people got those grades? Correct me if I'm wrong.

A-levels
Yeah I was just checking because you wrote "Regarding Further Maths, it's not ideal that you haven't taken the A-level (if it's not on offer at your school)", I was just saying the fact it is at offer at my school, the A-level version. I was wondering if taking it at AS despite the school offering it at A-level would not meet the entry requirements or put me at a significant disadvantage.
skskskskks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

My gcse’s weren’t great at all I got one A* and 2 Bs and the rest were Cs lol even had a D and and an F. I think my personal statement was pretty good and that compensated for them so i wouldn’t worry about everyone saying u need a million A* at GCSEs although it probably helps. It’s always worth applying - I got my offer to study Politics and Philsophy!
Hope this helps !
Rightongg
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by skskskskks)
My gcse’s weren’t great at all I got one A* and 2 Bs and the rest were Cs lol even had a D and and an F. I think my personal statement was pretty good and that compensated for them so i wouldn’t worry about everyone saying u need a million A* at GCSEs although it probably helps. It’s always worth applying - I got my offer to study Politics and Philsophy!
Hope this helps !
Ah thanks, I'm sure I will take A-level further maths next year to up my chances, if i can do it all in one year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (36)
24.66%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (51)
34.93%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (25)
17.12%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (11)
7.53%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (23)
15.75%

Watched Threads