Deorbiting's New car Thread

Watch
Deorbiting
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is your budget? (Insurance and Tax excluded)

Are you a new driver?
Yes

How old are you?

What is going to be the main use of the car?
Small inner city journeys

How many passengers will you usually be carrying?

How big a boot do you need?
Not that big

Specific tasks you will be doing?
Driving to the station in the morning and back in the evening

Any brands you would prefer?
Audi
Ford
Vauxhall
Volkswagen

Any brands you dislike?
Toyota

What features in the car are important to you?
Heated seats
Bluetooth

What gearbox do you want?
Don't Mind

Are aesthetics of the car important?
Yes

Special requirements?
-

What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?

classic3296
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For the audi take a look at the A3 but you may find it difficult to get insured as it is above insurance group 10.

Check out the A3 1.6 & 1.4 tfsi models which you can find plentiful for under £3k but stick to petrol so you avoid dpf problems later on in the cars life

For the fords take a look at the fiesta or focus but the fiesta is more suited to your needs. Have a look at the 1.4 ghia mdoels as they have cheaper insurance

Vauxhall corsa sounds like its right up your alley on this one. You can easily get a 2012 model with under 45k miles for £k but there are cheaper ones about

Volkswagen has plenty of models that fit what your looking for (in order of size)

Volkswagen Up commonly found in the 1.0 variant. Good for cross city but terrible on the motorway. Parts could be hard to find but ive not had any experience in this so i cant say

Volkswagen polo is a good reliable car with plenty of parts available so its a no brainer choice. Look for the 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 petrol and for under £3k you can find the 2010+ ones with over 150k but if you decide to go a little older you can find them from £500 to £2500 for low mileage examples.

Volkswwagen Golf - Again low running costs although you may high road tax £100+. If you want one under insurance group 10 look for a 1.4 petrol. For 3k, newer models (>2010) youll find higher mileage options (over 100k miles) but if you look for an 08 or 09 you should be able to find one with under 100k

If your just doing short journey driving, look for petrol cars instead of diesel as the Diesel Particle Filter can become blocked from inncer city driving which will cost you quite a bit to fix. If you go on the motorway every so often then you should be fine as a motorway blast generally fixes minor dpf problems.
All the cars i talked about are uner insurance group 10 except the A3 which is over 10 and under 20
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads