Access to HE Diploma so I can become a Doctor Watch

livecalmness
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Please help.
I'm 40 years of age and never fulfilled my ambition to become a GP.
Im not sure if I have the ability to gain 45 distinctions as I'm a sensible and organised person who works hard rather than naturally intelligent or super sharp.

Has anyone gained 45 distinctions in a Access to HE in medicine? Or is there another way to get to a medical degree?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by livecalmness)
Please help.
I'm 40 years of age and never fulfilled my ambition to become a GP.
Im not sure if I have the ability to gain 45 distinctions as I'm a sensible and organised person who works hard rather than naturally intelligent or super sharp.

Has anyone gained 45 distinctions in a Access to HE in medicine? Or is there another way to get to a medical degree?
Obviously there must be, but you may find the Access course and college have links with a particular Medical school.
If you want to use it to apply for other medical schools then not everyone will accept it.

Find out from the college how many go on from the course to obtain a place at medical school.

The alternative is A levels. A very small number of colleges do them or you can pay for an online course or just teach yourself. The key advice is check entrance requirements, but if you take Bio, Chem and one other then most medical schools will consider you.
You need AAA or higher. Exams should be completed within 2 years of start.

You will have to self finance these and the stem subjects are expensive c £1200- £1500 each including endorsement.

The 2 year rule is important for most med schools, but self teaching then they wont know exactly when you started tbh. You could spread them and they couldnt prove otherwise.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
livecalmness
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks for the reply.

I shall take on board your recommendation of asking the college how many students go on to obtain a place at medical school.

As far as the A levels go and achieving the AAA grades. I don't think I'm a AAA student. More like BBC ...
(Original post by 999tigger)
Obviously there must be, but you may find the Access course and college have links with a particular Medical school.
If you want to use it to apply for other medical schools then not everyone will accept it.

Find out from the college how many go on from the course to obtain a place at medical school.

The alternative is A levels. A very small number of colleges do them or you can pay for an online course or just teach yourself. The key advice is check entrance requirements, but if you take Bio, Chem and one other then most medical schools will consider you.
You need AAA or higher. Exams should be completed within 2 years of start.

You will have to self finance these and the stem subjects are expensive c £1200- £1500 each including endorsement.

The 2 year rule is important for most med schools, but self teaching then they wont know exactly when you started tbh. You could spread them and they couldnt prove otherwise.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by livecalmness)
Thanks for the reply.

I shall take on board your recommendation of asking the college how many students go on to obtain a place at medical school.

As far as the A levels go and achieving the AAA grades. I don't think I'm a AAA student. More like BBC ...
Then I wouldnt do Access as there is no room for error on 45 distinctions.
The min for Medicine is AAA and a whole heap of other hurdles.
That is not to say give up, but dont start until you can be assured of AAA or equivalent. Alternatively figure out a plan B if you do not get the grades.
faiima
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
First of all, you can totally achieve 45 distictions. Just attend the classes and do the work, the results will come. I achieved 45 distictions as have many other people, it's not that hard if you put the work into it.
A guy in my group was 40 years old and he wanted to study dentistry. He got the grades and now is in his first year of dentistry at Bristol. You can totally do it, so go fot it.
VallisDance
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Completely agree with be able to achieve the 45 credits! BUT as it sound you are like me when it comes to academic ability it will be difficult. Im currently doing an Access to Nursing with one week left (woo) and had the intention for the best grades from the on set as everyone should, and here i am pushing merits because the work is constantly being thrown at you at a pretty fast pace. Its not the level of work that is getting put out, its more on the work you do on your own accord. The external reading alone is, in my opinion, at least 60% of the studying, the college can give you the basic tools for where you want to be but thats all. Having done A Levels before, this is the hardest thing that i've done to date.

Thats not to scare or anything like that, but going into it with a strong mindset of getting the best all the time is a must throughout the course.

If theres anymore questions on access i'm happy to answer, we have a lot of crossover with Nursing and Medicine.
Janey44
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I’m thinking about doing the access to he in biochemical for medicine degree and I am 48 so will be 49 if I get in and they may even. Turn me away as I’m too old!! But would rather try and fail then not try at all. If I don’t get in I will have obtained my ucas points so will go for my plan b!

Can I ask you or you doing voluntary work also?
VallisDance
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
the access course is for all ages over 19, they shouldn't turn you away because of age.
(Original post by Janey44)
I’m thinking about doing the access to he in biochemical for medicine degree and I am 48 so will be 49 if I get in and they may even. Turn me away as I’m too old!! But would rather try and fail then not try at all. If I don’t get in I will have obtained my ucas points so will go for my plan b!

Can I ask you or you doing voluntary work also?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (149)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.87%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.22%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.3%

Watched Threads